Post-Bruen CCW applications in other may-issue states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I see in our forum, we have a thread attempting to keep count of how many HGP applications have been "submitted" since last Thursday, June 23.

Last I looked, it was over 8,000.

Does anyone have stats on the other may-issue states affected by this? Did any of the others experience a flood of applications in response to citizens finally seeing a chance they'll be approved?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I see in our forum, we have a thread attempting to keep count of how many HGP applications have been "submitted" since last Thursday, June 23.

Does anyone have stats on the other may-issue states affected by this? Did any of the others experience a flood of applications in response to citizens finally seeing a chance they'll be approved?
    The number is only going to go up.

That is the first wave. There are a lot of folks waiting to see how things go before spending their money.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I very curious on how my nonresident application goes.
    I'm using my DD214 but how would a nonresident without that, get the proper 16hr training and renewal done?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm using my DD214 but how would a nonresident without that, get the proper 16hr training and renewal done?

If an instructor is enterprising, teach the classroom portion online.

The student would then have to show up at the instructors location for the livefire to complete the course.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Any instructors in any location can become QHIC by applying online to MSP licensing.

The MD HGP class can be taught anywhere, as long as the instructor has the QHIC.

The main stumbling block for out of state residents is the Livescan requirement. Folks must travel to MD to submit the fingerprints.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So anyway...

Does anyone have stats on the other may-issue states affected by this [ruling]? Did any of the others experience a flood of applications in response to citizens finally seeing a chance they'll be approved?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So anyway...

Does anyone have stats on the other may-issue states affected by this [ruling]? Did any of the others experience a flood of applications in response to citizens finally seeing a chance they'll be approved?
    Illinois was crushed by applicants after McDonald. Moore v Madigan

Since IL could not process the sheer amount of carry permit holders, IL recognized the FOID as the carry permit after a lawsuit in the 7th circuit.

Maybe the same thing will happen here in MD. If the MSP can't process carry permits, the HQL will become the new carry documention.

Last edited:

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

Become a Maryland Certified Instructor. Unlike MA, a non-Resident can become a MD certified instructor as long as that person has the prior training and instructor certifications.

Once your an instructor your exempt, from the normal training requirments.

The only issue for a non resident is getting fingerprints done. Currently I can’t get them done out of state. So must make a trip to Maryland for it.

New Jersey though, I can get my fingerprints done here in Texas, however I have to submit the application in person. Go figure.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    So anyway...

I don’t have stats, but New Jersey, RI AG, and MA are getting swamped.

Various areas of CA did for a bit, and still are in the more conservative Republican areas. Some of those sheriffs are ignoring Bonta’s order of using good moral character as reason to deny.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

Since IL could not process the sheer amount of carry permit holders, IL recognized the FOID as the carry permit after a lawsuit in the 7th circuit.

Maybe the same thing will happen here in MD. If the MSP can't process carry permits, the HQL will become the new carry documention.
    Maybe that was the case back then, but that hasn’t been the case since at least 2020.

Especially, for non residents. Non residents don’t need to have a FOID. It took me about 5 months for them to issue mine though. (During Covid) and about two weeks to issue my Instructor Certification.

But you do have to have their CHL to carry, and they have zero reciprocity with anyone.

There is one exception… if you do have a permit from your home state, you are allowed to carry A SINGLE loaded firearm in your vehicle concealed. One loaded concealed firearm per permitted/licensed person in the vehicle. Two loaded Concealed firearms, requires two persons with a permit/license to carry.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I don’t have stats, but New Jersey, RI AG, and MA are getting swamped.

Various areas of CA did for a bit, and still are in the more conservative Republican areas. Some of those sheriffs are ignoring Bonta’s order of using good moral character as reason to deny.
    Does anyone else consider Bonta incredibly hypocritical in insisting on "good moral character" in others?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I'm sure this was mentioned elsewhere... but "good moral character" was specifically called out in the opinion... uh... NO!...

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Another reason for National reciprocity . A DD214 has served me well. I'm a expat Maryland resident. I had VA and Fla nonresident license untill I moved to Va and added Pa. MD accepts the exemption so no need or desire to be an instructor. I enjoyed being a skydiving instructor though.
    I still am in MD 3/4 days a week so I need MD license or reciprocity.
    National Reciprocity Now!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm in process for a MA LTC, and they are slammed with applicants. Not sure if they are reissuing LTC's for those with previous restrictions or if they are just saying restrictions are void.

Can't say anything about RI because we finished our process about 6 months ago.

Once the NJ Training requirements gets squared away I plan to apply there. I hear they are slammed as well.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    ...Once the NJ Training requirements gets squared away I plan to apply there. I hear they are slammed as well.
    I figured that would happen, I have lots of friends and co-workers there... to say they are ecstatic is an understatement.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

There's no longer an actual physical document for HQL.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    And now Maryland State Police are FLOODED since Hogan issued that order to them this Morning!!
    I'm sure they got a new tsunami today, but I think they were flooded before this morning. The thread with the application numbers showed that over 8,000 applications had been submitted by last week.

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD
    The MSP HGP applications dashboard is responding slowly....:). I'm sure even more folks have started an application.

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD

Application serial number as of Tuesday, 05 July, 22HGP0237XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom