• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm going to try something different. I'm going retired LEO exemption. I submitted those creds, but I won't attach my 214 and see what happens. One would think simply my MD LEOSA qual done by the state and with their own card, the 214 would mean nothing.
    If you answer 'Yes' to the vet question, you have to attach the DD-214 in that section of the application. If you are using LEO creds, you won't need it in for the Training Exclusion section of the app.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you answer 'Yes' to the vet question, you have to attach the DD-214 in that section of the application. If you are using LEO creds, you won't need it in for the Training Exclusion section of the app.
    I looked at it again. They want proof of training exemption, proof of military(if served), and proof of LEO experience retired/active, or separation.

So if military, is everyone putting a 214 in each document submission for exemption and proof of military service? uploading it 2 times?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I looked at it again. They want proof of training exemption, proof of military(if served), and proof of LEO experience retired/active, or separation.
    Proof of 'honorable': Upload 1
    Training exemption: Upload 2
    So if military, is everyone putting a 214 in each document submission for exemption and proof of military service? uploading it 2 times?
    Yes, uploaded mine to both places.

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    With a Maryland W&C permit now, is there any benefit in getting a VA non-resident permit? They appear to honor a MD permit so just asking around. Thanks.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    With a Maryland W&C permit now, is there any benefit in getting a VA non-resident permit? They appear to honor a MD permit so just asking around. Thanks.
    I’m not aware of any sort of carrying that a VA NR permit would get you beyond a MD permit while on VA soil.

Now, if some other state would honor your VA NR while not honoring MD, that might be a thing. But most people solve that problem with UT and/or FL.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I’m not aware of any sort of carrying that a VA NR permit would get you beyond a MD permit while on VA soil.

Now, if some other state would honor your VA NR while not honoring MD, that might be a thing. But most people solve that problem with UT and/or FL.

Isn't there something about exceptions to be in Public School zones only for home state permit holders? (Could be totally wrong. But I thought there something to that effect)

Va permit will allow you to carry in other states that do not accept MDs permit. May not be worth it if you don't go to those states. Better off getting florida or Utah permit, they cover more states

Check out the usacarry.com map or usconcealedcarry.com

Axl

Jul 24, 2022
    Rising Sun
    Va permit will allow you to carry in other states that do not accept MDs permit. May not be worth it if you don't go to those states. Better off getting florida or Utah permit, they cover more states

Check out the usacarry.com map or usconcealedcarry.com
    Agreed. Getting FL and UT is very easy and solves a lot of reciprocity problems.

Jude_FA18

Oct 28, 2013
    My application status is "Applications Shortage." The website says that the attached DD-214 is not sufficient to satisfy training exemption. I attached a JPG of my valid DD-214. Anybody know what the problem might be and how to fix it?
    Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    My application status is "Applications Shortage." The website says that the attached DD-214 is not sufficient to satisfy training exemption. I attached a JPG of my valid DD-214. Anybody know what the problem might be and how to fix it?
    Thanks
    Check your DD214. Make sure it is the "MEMBER-4", and not the "MEMBER-1".

The other thing to look for, is that the word "HONORABLE" is visible.

Axl

Jul 24, 2022
    Rising Sun
    Thanks

Yep, I got popped for the same reason. Had to find my DD214 copy showing "Honorable"

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Maybe

The harder part will be finding plaintiff(s) willing to challenge the law. Other than honorable discharges are infrequent, compared to honorable.
    The ideal plaintiff will be a Gay/Lesbian veteran who was dishonorably discharged for being LGBTQ without any court martial (before Clinton).

That would make for an extremely uncomfortable situation for Frosh and the Democratic Party leadership.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Another question: how does an honorable DD214 qualify one to know anything about a handgun, its use, its operation, or how to quickly and accurately use it when hundreds of thousands of men and women in this country went through USAF and Navy basic training and never touched a handgun or qualified with one?
    That’s right up there with the absurd number of training hours- why 16, not 12, or 8, or 11?

Why are retired Maryland LEO’s exempt, but a retired Virginia or Pennsylvania cop isn’t?

Because O’Malley said so.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Yes. I advise all Veterans to upload the same 214 twice, to avoid a shortage because MSP wants two copies of the same document.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes. I advise all Veterans to upload the same 214 twice, to avoid a shortage because MSP wants two copies of the same document.
    Huh? I used my retired stuff for the training exempt/ MPTC LEOSA card for the training exempt upload and 214 for military service of course.

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    I received the following email (subject - MD HGP - Your Application Has Been Given a Final Disposition). Body - The review of your Handgun Permit application, 22HGP0xxx11, has been completed by Maryland State Police, Licensing Division. You will receive written notification of the disposition via the United States Postal Service within 5-7 business days.

Did anyone else receive this type of email? I'm not sure if this is a good or bad sign. I thought there would be an interview. BTW I applied as a veteran. Thanks Jh.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No it means you should go check your dashboard under print, look at the last page where it will say approved

You should have your permit I. 3-4 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD

This tripped me up as well. I don't recall ever having the Member -4 version. I had to request a copy from the national archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom