• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    from your governor -
    Governor Hogan Directs Maryland State Police to Suspend ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Standard For Wear and Carry Permits
    Action Pursuant to Supreme Court Ruling Striking Down Similar Provision in New York Law

ANNAPOLIS, MD—Governor Larry Hogan today issued the following statement:

“Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms, while enacting responsible and common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

“Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a provision in New York law pertaining to handgun permitting that is virtually indistinguishable from Maryland law. In light of the ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to immediately suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits. It would be unconstitutional to continue enforcing this provision in state law. There is no impact on other permitting requirements and protocols.

“Today’s action is in line with actions taken in other states in response to the recent ruling.”
    Nice

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    from your governor -
    Governor Hogan Directs Maryland State Police to Suspend ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Standard For Wear and Carry Permits
    Action Pursuant to Supreme Court Ruling Striking Down Similar Provision in New York Law

“Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms, while enacting responsible and common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

“Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a provision in New York law pertaining to handgun permitting that is virtually indistinguishable from Maryland law. In light of the ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to immediately suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits. It would be unconstitutional to continue enforcing this provision in state law. There is no impact on other permitting requirements and protocols.

“Today’s action is in line with actions taken in other states in response to the recent ruling.”

Interesting. I’m scheduled to take my training classes this weekend. Guess I don’t need my employer to provide me documentation for G&S

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    from your governor -

Too bad he didn't release this yesterday, would have been a fitting Independence Day tribute.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised. I expected a bigger fight.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Too bad he didn't release this yesterday, would have been a fitting Independence Day tribute.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised. I expected a bigger fight.
    Hogan has bigger battles ahead, his ongoing battle with Dunlap disease, etc.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Easy the Gov saw a way to take credit and pretend like he cares about gun owners
    Let me reframe. a lot of people (including MDSP last week) seem to think Frosh is the final authority, not Hogan. I don't know myself.

If he was going to take credit, why not day June 23rd (two weeks ago)?

On the other hand, did Frosh issue some super secret squirrel guidance and refuses to admit his life's work got flushed?

Or is it a trap and is Frosh is about to pull a Lucy?

Also, what happened to "we need time to update the software."

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Let me reframe. a lot of people (including MDSP last week) seem to think Frosh is the final authority, not Hogan. I don't know myself.

If he was going to take credit, why not day June 23rd (two weeks ago)?

On the other hand, did Frosh issue some super secret squirrel guidance and refuses to admit his life's work got flushed?

Or is it a trap and is Frosh is about to pull a Lucy?
    I don't see Frosh taking this quietly after his "no he can't" directive from a few years back

I'll restate what I said before. I hope Frosh is miserable watching his life's work fvcking gun owners dissolve before his eyes.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Also, what happened to "we need time to update the software."
    Well, just because Hogan says "change how you do this" doesn't mean that MSP won't say, "OK, we'll get on that. We have to hire a contractor to update the server-side software we're using to process these applications." Or some such. Obviously they can just throw a paragraph up on the MSP web site explaining how to use the existing process without actually doing the G&S, but someone will find that to be too vague or hard to find or something. The application process needs to be crystal clear IN LINE during the process. That should be a minor tweak, technology-wise, but you know that any change to the online form/process - even an obvious one like just directed - will have to be approved by some legal team who have no personal interest in expediency. But given how long we've waited, so what. Glad to see Hogan taking the reins from Frosh on this. Hope it hurts Frosh's feelings in deep, personal places.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    A good programmer can remove the G&S stuff in like and hour. Just delete the lines of code that spit it out, then modify the check programs to not look for it. Sure it would not be pretty but it would not be hard.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    A good programmer can remove the G&S stuff in like and hour. Just delete the lines of code that spit it out, then modify the check programs to not look for it. Sure it would not be pretty but it would not be hard.
    which means that .gov will pay a million dollars and take ten months

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    which means that .gov will pay a million dollars and take ten months
    They will use it as excuse to total re do the web site, and yes it would take millions. But for now just check the personal protection and list self defense and breun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom