• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So I've had this p22 about 6/8 months now. Put about 600 rounds of everything through it to see what it eats properly. Well, nothing apparently since every 2nd, 4th, 7th..... You name a round, the slide doesn't feed and falls short about a half inch from battery. Slingshotting the slide, it does not go full forward. It starts to drag when it gets about halfway forward, then stops short.

I've read the P22 bible PDF and seems it may be this " dog ear " that may need to be smoothed out. Guide spring too weak?

I just feel like ditching the thing and not have to put any money into it since it was so cheap. Just send it to Smith? What say you 'uns?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Have you taken it down, to make sure the spring isn't bent and rubbing against the guide rod? There's a special tool that comes with the P22, if you try to reassemble it without the tool, you'll almost certainly mess up the spring. If you've never taken it down, you can't be certain that someone might have messed it up, before you got it... even if you bought it new.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Have you taken it down, to make sure the spring isn't bent and rubbing against the guide rod? There's a special tool that comes with the P22, if you try to reassemble it without the tool, you'll almost certainly mess up the spring. If you've never taken it down, you can't be certain that someone might have messed it up, before you got it... even if you bought it new.

Yeah the little plastic dowel thingy. I'll take her part today and see what's up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First thing I would try is running some CCI Mini-Mags through it, just so you can take ammunition out of the equation.

After that, I'd send it back to Walther / S&W and tell them to fix the damn problem. If you still feel ambivalent after that, sell it and buy something else. Unfortunately, a real problem with all of these tactical-style .22LR pistols is that they seem to be ammo picky... not sure why.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    One other thing.... On my P22, the spring has a flattened end, and an open end which simply stops mid-twist. If you put the open end first, onto the guide rod, the spring can wind itself over the flat part that's supposed to capture the spring. If this happens, it could munge things up. So be sure to slide the spring over the guide rod, flattened end first.

Attachments

• p22-spring-and-guide-rod.JPG
      p22-spring-and-guide-rod.JPG
      28.7 KB · Views: 259

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    So weird. No hick ups with cci mini mags. I figured after 400 rounds it's broken in and that I could use cheap rounds. Get a box of federal and it would jam up on those same exact numbers everytime. I don't even get how that's possible. Taking the entire gun apart for a cleaning helped. My friend was shooting Winchester bulk ammo without any hick ups through it. But I think I will polish the internals and see what that does for me.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    First thing I would try is running some CCI Mini-Mags through it, just so you can take ammunition out of the equation.

After that, I'd send it back to Walther / S&W and tell them to fix the damn problem. If you still feel ambivalent after that, sell it and buy something else. Unfortunately, a real problem with all of these tactical-style .22LR pistols is that they seem to be ammo picky... not sure why.

The first 200 were those because I read they love these guys. I have to get this sucker apart and see what is going on underneath.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Dosnt Walther offer the same Warranty as S&W (lifetime), being that they are owned by S&W ?

If it keeps giving you issues - send it back, and let them deal with it, instead of having a smith charge you to fix it.

More then likely you get at least a years warranty on it - unless you bought it used or 2nd hand.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dosnt Walther offer the same Warranty as S&W (lifetime), being that they are owned by S&W ?

If it keeps giving you issues - send it back, and let them deal with it, instead of having a smith charge you to fix it.

More then likely you get at least a years warranty on it - unless you bought it used or 2nd hand.

New. But like someone else said, maybe it was broken down previous. I posted too soon. I need to take a peek underneath.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville

S&w does not own Walther. SW is the US importer/ distributor for Walther.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    600 rounds without a field strip and clean seems like asking alot - especially with a rimfire. It probably needs a good cleaning, lube and function test then.

The slide drags at the same spot each and every time. When I ride the slide slowly forward, it is definitely "rubbing" in the same area.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    600 rounds without a field strip and clean seems like asking alot - especially with a rimfire. It probably needs a good cleaning, lube and function test then.

Fivepointstar had a P22 he would bring to the range on every trip out. I don't think it's ever been cleaned....runs like a top.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I did a lot of reading on the P22 before I purchased mine, so before I even shot it, I broke it down and polished the trigger ears and I've never had any issues.
    I'm not sure if that precaution is the reason why I never had any issues, but it sure didn't hurt. :)

I would suggest removing the slide and doing a visual inspection to see if the trigger ears have caused any gouging.
    That could be what's causing it to "drag" in the same spot.

+1 for CCI MiniMags, but not until you address the issue at hand.

JMO

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I did a lot of reading on the P22 before I purchased mine, so before I even shot it, I broke it down and polished the trigger ears and I've never had any issues.
    I'm not sure if that precaution is the reason why I never had any issues, but it sure didn't hurt. :)

I would suggest removing the slide and doing a visual inspection to see if the trigger ears have caused any gouging.
    That could be what's causing it to "drag" in the same spot.

+1 for CCI MiniMags, but not until you address the issue at hand.

JMO

Trigger ears is what I was thinking of. That's what the guy who put together the P22 bible did, rounded them down slightly. I do not have the technique to do something like that if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom