Point shooting a handgun when cross eye dominant, will a crimson trace type laser help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm cross dominat , and use either interchangeably . Enough years of experience , subconsciously squint one if needed the instant before squeezing . If you asked me 5 seconds after shooting , I usually wouldn't be able to tell you which eye I just used .

Two handed shooting is no biggie to rotate the head a fraction , while shifting the gun an inch or 2 sideways .

Only time it's a thing to possibly think about is deliberately shooting one hand while body exactly square to target . If target is off to either side , it naturally lines up with the eye on that side .

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    So you are saying to use one eye if not shooting using your dominant eye? That makes sense to me. How do you shoot? Both eyes open relying on your dominant eye?

Both eyes open is preferable for defensive handgun shooting since you want the largest field of view. Also you lose depth perception when closing an eye.

The Israeli cross axis shooting technique intentionally uses a cross eye alignment with a quasi retention style hold. (This is what Reeves uses in the first John Wick movie).

I ended up shooting and carrying mostly with my non dominant hand though. At least try that too, you might be more ambidextrous than you think.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There is no cross eye dominance when you shoot with both eyes open, which a laser and red dot allows you to do.
    The problem with people using laser dots, they try to use it as a slow fire aiming device. Don't try and make small groups with this thing. That dot hits the thoracic cavity, you press the trigger. It gets no easier than that.

If you are right handed but use your left eye, try practice when drawing taking your support hand and placing it more to the left instead of direct center. This will place the pistol more to the left as it gets presented under that eye. See what that does for ya.

Don't twist your pistol, lean your head over. None of that crap. Your draw needs to be a natural meet and greet with your face that is upright looking forward. Because that is how we stand, walk, talk, and just carry ourselves walking about in real life.

The threat couldn't care less if your shot is a couple inches off to the left or right. Don't make a difficult situation harder.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If they " can't hit the broad side of a barn " , the problem isn't Cross Eye Dominance , it's their shooting Fundimentals .

If they have issues making ( good) hits on human size target at 10 FEET , a laser won't make them shoot any better .

Blasters default response is Grip , Grip, Grip .

My default response is Trigger Control , Trigger Control , Trigger Control ( so long as grip doesn't massively suck.) .

FWIW , yes a PC M442 would be more than capable of the outlined requirements . As would a regular production J Frame with an average trigger .
    You even refer to a bad grip.
    A simple exercise of of a shooter gripping the pistol properly(well) and have someone else press the trigger. Rounds will hit the target. Pretty accurately.
    How great is that trigger press when someone else does it for you? It's a terrible trigger press. Grip keeps fingers from bullying the pistol.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If they " can't hit the broad side of a barn " , the problem isn't Cross Eye Dominance , it's their shooting Fundimentals .

If they have issues making ( good) hits on human size target at 10 FEET , a laser won't make them shoot any better .

Blasters default response is Grip , Grip, Grip .

My default response is Trigger Control , Trigger Control , Trigger Control ( so long as grip doesn't massively suck.) .

FWIW , yes a PC M442 would be more than capable of the outlined requirements . As would a regular production J Frame with an average trigger .
    Taurus Judge loaded with #4 turkey shot? Might not be particularly fatal unless you hit them in the neck or are touching distance, but probably won't miss either if you can at least point it in their general direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom