• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Based on the video, when the witness is talking she said something to the effect of the 13 yr old saw it fall... Does that suggest the gun was dropped? Of course it is early and I haven't my coffee yet so who knows what she said or I heard.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    If you don't touch it, it won't go off. Period.

If it went off it was because some asshat was fiddling with it.

Wait... did the report mention any sightings of Alec Baldwin?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Given the number of sheer newbies, maybe they should actually spend an hour or two going over gun safety (with us actually handling real but unloaded firearms or at least the plastic/rubber fake training guns and with an opportunity to demonstrate safe gun handling), then require some number of rounds (100, 200?) fired in at least a simulator, and preferably practice rounds at the range. If we are going to be required to spend that much time in a training class, then at least have some practical instruction that might help in avoiding similar situations.
    Many classes do those exact things, mine do. Other classes like the one you took, suck.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    And County Executive Pittman is a typical political ass.

He has no idea who did it, if they had a carry permit, or any other details, and he is running his mouth about how evil and wrong concealed aceriers are.

If this turns out to be a guy illegally carrying, people with carry permits should sue Pittman for defamation. His blanket statement based on no facts is defamatory to hundreds of thousands of people.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Many classes do those exact things, mine do. Other classes like the one you took, suck.
    I think the point was that if the state is going to mandate training the state should put some standards in about what people should train on.

It shouldn't be on the new shooter to find a good class. If it is mandated they should all be good.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    And County Executive Pittman is a typical political ass.

He has no idea who did it, if they had a carry permit, or any other details, and he is running his mouth about how evil and wrong concealed aceriers are.

If this turns out to be a guy illegally carrying, people with carry permits should sue Pittman for defamation. His blanket statement based on no facts is defamatory to hundreds of thousands of people.
    I thought the same thing. His "there will be blood in the streets" hysteria is typical liberal BS. He's the kind of guy who, as a kid, should have been punched in the face more often.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They don’t need reasons. They are (mostly) rabid anti-gunners who will infringe at every opportunity and then some.
    This is my belief. They truly believe that banning guns will make MD safer. They believe it was a sincerity that's immune to any other point of view, reason or fact. They know they can't ban all guns, but they reason that every one they can ban is one that isn't being used in a crime. They ignore the guns already in circulation because they know that confiscation would go badly and they have no other solution.

Make no mistake, the goals of this MGA session are to ban guns, make life hard for police, and something about abortion protections. Welcome to MD.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I'm glad yours goes above the minimum requirements the state requires (and I know quite a few do). And yes, the class I took really sucked (as a teacher I've seen many written tests before, the test the company owner wrote is the worst test I've seen in my life, you do not write a test to try to trick people or see if they remember some random word you said at some point the day before, you write the test to assess if they actually understand the material).

I think the point was that if the state is going to mandate training the state should put some standards in about what people should train on.

It shouldn't be on the new shooter to find a good class. If it is mandated they should all be good.
    Exactly, if we are mandated to do 16 hours, include some gun safety training and handling in the curriculum (especially since so many of the new W&C applicants are new gun owners). I'd rather they do a minimum of training, and if they feel they need something (other than Constitutional carry), then have us do enough rounds in qualification to show we actually can handle guns safely and hit what we are aiming at. But, as long as we need to do this training, have some requirements that will actually help new shooters be safer when carrying.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My first thought was that this isn't good for us (after it was clear no one was hurt and the police were saying it was clearly an accident). This will of course be pointed to by all the anti-gunners as proof that shall issue is a bad idea and that the MGA needs to put up every restriction that the courts will allow. They were already going to try to push the envelope and see what will be allowed under the current courts, now they are more likely to be successful.

The second thing I was thinking was, I thought back to my training class for W&C. The vast majority there had little or no gun handling experience. For many, their only prior experience was taking the HQL class and shooting up to a mag in that class, and then buying a gun (which they've never shot).

I was also thinking about how much of a waste of time that W&C class was. I disapprove of a 16 hour classroom requirement, but if they will have such a requirement, lets make some use of it. Most of the time we were just sitting around, the actual content could have been delivered in somewhere between 2-4 hours. We spent maybe 10-20 minutes total in the training company's simulator, and the only range time was for the 25 qualification rounds. Given the number of sheer newbies, maybe they should actually spend an hour or two going over gun safety (with us actually handling real but unloaded firearms or at least the plastic/rubber fake training guns and with an opportunity to demonstrate safe gun handling), then require some number of rounds (100, 200?) fired in at least a simulator, and preferably practice rounds at the range. If we are going to be required to spend that much time in a training class, then at least have some practical instruction that might help in avoiding similar situations.

This incident has no bearing on whether or not they will be more successful. They are going to pass whatever they want because they hate gun owners and dislike freedom, it’s that simple.

Freedom can be ugly at times, I still choose it over anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Mandated does not equal good, good instruction does. While I understand what you’re saying, content is only as good as the instructor

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    I'm wondering how the gun went off in the first place.
    Was it holstered?
    Was it just shoved in his pants?
    Was he being stupid and showing it off in public?
    What ever he did, I'm sure he engaged that trigger in some way. This Crap makes me want to effing scream. Equipment and "Real training" have to be top notch.
    You can bet one thing for sure, If this guy was permitted to carry we are never going to hear the end of it in the news.
    For the record County Executive Steuart Pittman is a Effing Idiot. If he is in your district, Vote his ass out.

Last edited:

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    This incident has no bearing on whether or not they will be more successful. They are going to pass whatever they want because they hate gun owners and dislike freedom, it’s that simple.

Freedom can be ugly at times, I still choose it over anything else.

They always try to get anything they want. As bad as MD is, we (gun owners) have been able to push back and win against some restrictions that have been tried throughout the years. Yes, they get most of what they want, but not everything. This session, I thought they'd be putting a lot of ugly restrictions on us, but they would lose on some. After this, any MD legislator on the fence about some of the new to come restrictions may be more open to the worst of them.

Things like this will also be bad long-term. If we have a few years of relatively incident free shall issue (like everywhere else that has done it), then maybe some of the average non-gun owning voters of MD could come to realize that the sky isn't falling with shall-issue and it will put the lie to what the anti-gunners said would happen. Too many incidents like this, and we won't win the "hearts and minds" as it used to be called. Long-term, getting enough non-gun owning voters to realize that gun control is crap and what the proponents say isn't true, and that gun owners are reasonable and practice safe gun handling, is the best way to protect our rights long term (courts change over the years, we need to educate the voters).

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    So, one nitwit negligently discharges a gun and now all lawful citizens should be banned from carrying? How about we ban all politicians from talking because one said something stupid.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    They always try to get anything they want. As bad as MD is, we (gun owners) have been able to push back and win against some restrictions that have been tried throughout the years. Yes, they get most of what they want, but not everything. This session, I thought they'd be putting a lot of ugly restrictions on us, but they would lose on some. After this, any MD legislator on the fence about some of the new to come restrictions may be more open to the worst of them.

Things like this will also be bad long-term. If we have a few years of relatively incident free shall issue (like everywhere else that has done it), then maybe some of the average non-gun owning voters of MD could come to realize that the sky isn't falling with shall-issue and it will put the lie to what the anti-gunners said would happen. Too many incidents like this, and we won't win the "hearts and minds" as it used to be called. Long-term, getting enough non-gun owning voters to realize that gun control is crap and what the proponents say isn't true, and that gun owners are reasonable and practice safe gun handling, is the best way to protect our rights long term (courts change over the years, we need to educate the voters).
    Also won't hurt when a few good guys put down a few bad guys. Going to be interesting to watch when more citizens opt to no longer be victims.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Pittman says that the Supreme Court caused this (with no evidence it was a concealed carrier)

I would suggest that it is dickheads like Pittman who caused this by denying the natural right to keep and bear arms for so long.

People may do dumb stuff not because they were never allowed to learn growing up.

Here in PA 1 out of every 6 people in carrying. (And that includes Philadelphia in the statistics who doesn't issue permits. Outside of Philly it's like 1 out of 4) People grew up around guns. And we don't have these problems with some dumbass shooting himself.

Every morning I read the local York news and the local Baltimore news. Every morning York has a story about a house or barn fire. Every morning Baltimore has a story about 4 people shot overnight.

Gun control makes everything LESS safe. It causes more crime. It makes honest people defenseless. And it makes honest people less trained in safe handling of firearms.

The more I think about it, the more Pittsman's uninformed irresponsible ignorant comments are pissing me off.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Miss Sally is looking through her magic mirror from the MGA Romper Room. If she sees (and if we promise) to be good doo-bees, we will all be allowed to have fun at play.

WTF! Have they not made it clear what they want? Each and every year? For the last 50 plus sessions?

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    This incident happened more than likely because some jackass was playing with a weapon. Growing up my parents taught me about gun safety. Maybe if people in this country stopped crying and making up crap about evil guns killing people and started accepting that guns are nothing but a tool that must be respected. These a$$holes need to accept that guns are here to stay and all their self-righteous bullcrap is not gonna change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom