Please add your Thoughts: Insurance, Liability Privacy and Registration Concerns

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfox

Mar 27, 2012
    So it seems like a wise idea as one starts to accumulate any quantity of of firearms to carry insurance, both for home; as well as possibly for legal protection (liability)

However, it appears to happen quite quickly that homeowners policies will not cover more than a vary minor $$ amount, unless you itemize the firearm. And to do that, mine wants make, model, copy of receipt, photos, etc.

This bothers me. Trusting insurance companies (who historically have not been 2A friendly) with such information. Further, while I haven't looked in detail yet I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing came up if one was shopping for an umbrella policy or some other type of liability protection that covered firearms.

I am very curious how others have handled this issue. If your firearms are legally owned, I understand the desire for an insurance company to have certain information...but not sure I like the idea of some of the historically anti-2A companies having so much information in their database, which they could easily abuse or turn-over toward a registry.

Any thoughts? What do you all do? Does any body carry a policy by a completely different company than your homeowners company for theft etc? And what do others do regarding liability protection?

Thanks-

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Good question! This is something I've been planning on persuing as well. I know NRA has a minimal coverage option, but I wanted to ask them if they offer anything extra & more comprehensive for purchasing.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Liability insurance, if you can find it, is going to be insanely priced. You are asking to be insured up to millions of dollars that a wrongful death civil suit would bring.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    check into "collectibles insurance agency" or the NRA for your loss policy. I know for sure CIA (which I use) does not take serial numbers

as for liability, don't even go there. get a regular umbrella liability policy (add to your homeowner's policy for example), I think that will cover things up to it's limit and it's fairly inexpensive. read the exclusions before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom