• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading a rifle with a nicer stock. While I'm at it, would it be worth having the bedding done by a pro? Who?

Old Fart

Dec 13, 2023
    Sadler, Tx
    well does it need bedding? ya need to put it together and fire a few rounds to tell if there is any play between stock and action. Then pull action and look to the tange area on stock for rub marks also w/action in stock in vise w/all screws removed see if any play between BBl lug and lug stop . The way to ck play on bbl lug is use paper or shim stock to stop all play in rearward motion of bbl. P.S. if ya have rub marks in tange area then you will have play in bbl lug, but do both th be sure. Hope this helps...A nother thing to consider, how accurate is it? If ya tighten screws and it shoots real nice, then take a 1 dollar bill and see if it will slide from end of bbl to action. If it shoots real nice w/bbl floating or touching stock which ever the dollar bill test gives ,then just bed action IF ya have movement of action in stock. If the shoots nice w/ bbl touching stock, when bed actin it will raise the bbl, then ya have to bed bbl to where it shoots the best that will. Yep not a small deal a lot ya got to consider, lol Hope it works out for ya.....Latersssssss

Last edited:

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    I have the same question. Old stock is for right handed shooter,new is ambidextrous. New stock is 95% done, might diy or have someone do it. Following this thread to see what comes up. Thx

Old Fart

Dec 13, 2023
    Sadler, Tx
    I have the same question. Old stock is for right handed shooter,new is ambidextrous. New stock is 95% done, might diy or have someone do it. Following this thread to see what comes up. Thx
    Here we go again. lol The main reason for bedding a stock IS to REMOVE play from action (when fired) in stock so it don`t kick the crap out of ur shoulder. Most new stocks nowdays have a aluminum brace bedded in forearm and part action area. Bedding like said is to remove all play between stock and action. And yes if ya bed the action it will change the bbl seating in forearm. Then again is the rifle worth of time and cost ? You can`t just bed a rifle without firing it between steps to see what has to be done next, labor, ammo, range time. Brownells has a book on how and when rifle needs or could use bedding....

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The real main reason to bed a stock is to eliminate vibrations the moment the trigger releases the sear.
    The other reason is to control shot to shot consistency by dampening the very same vibrations that are set up on ignition that also happen to translate into even more vibrations/oscillations into the barrel upon the firing of the cartridge.
    Bedding properly also is a significant factor in providing compensation for the barrel at the muzzle for when the bullet quits the same.
    Some people do this by altering the type and amount of burning powder and bullet combination to shrink groups at a specific range while monitoring velocity.
    Others use a differing approach that takes into account the position of the muzzle and the bullet powder selection understanding the difference in trajectory at a specific range may exhibit a positive or negative effect based on the prolongation of the bore axis, line of sight,, environmental factors, error in the sighting system, recoil etc.
    A cartridge that fires a bullet of a lower velocity of the same weight, may strike higher on a target at a specific range than one that prints higher at a lessor distance but has just left the barrel at the height of its prolongation of the bore which will strike the target lower as the distance has become greater and velocity is shed.
    As the range is increases, the bullet with lower velocity may print higher because the barrel is still moving upwards as the bullet quits the muzzle but the faster bullet has left at the apex as the barrel is moving downwards the instant it has left it.
    All bullets start to fall ever so slightly the moment they leave the barrel becuase of gravity and they never travel upwards above the prolongation of the axis of the bore.
    They may travel in a trajectory above the line of sight, but never above the prolongation of the axis of the bore.
    Good bedding accounts for the quality of consistency with a known load, bullet weight combination by reducing vibrations set up into every shot even in a 22 rifle. becuase even it is recoiling ever so slightly before the bullet has left the barrel or barely the chamber or throat of every rifle.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    What kind of a rifle, what kind of stock? Assuming a bolt action and wooden stock or synthetic, Kevlar, fiberglass, will it have bedding block?
    Of course, a stock needs bedded. Most of the time you can't just buy a stock and drop the action in it without fitting it.
    If you're talking about glass bedding, learn about it as others recommend and do it yourself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Doco hits on the whole debate(s) about rifle bedding .

Pretty much a given that actions should be smoothly and firmly in place . Approaches for the bbl include :

Free Floating ( no contact )
    Pressure Pad near end of fore end to control bbl vibrations in a certain manner
    Full length bedding , to overall dampen bbl vibrations .

As much an art as a science . Massively oversimplified :

Free Floating is most consistent . Between different loads , as bbl heats up , and least effected by environmental conditions . Usually . Not always .

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Its going to vary depending on type of rifle, make of rifle action of rifle & more.
    Some like full bedding some like fully free-floated.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Scenario I have is Anschutz 54 to a benchrest stock. Any local experts for bedding and pillaring 22s?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have bedded three bolt action rifles and did see an increase in accuracy. My Savage 10 in 308 has a very tight bedding to the point where it is difficult to separate the barrel and receiver (I though they got glued together). However, in a 5 shot group, the first three shots looks great, and then shot 4 and shot 5 string out as the barrel heats up. Bedding helps, but for me, it did not turn hunting rifles into competition rifles.

Some rifles are bedded at the factory. I noticed that Bergara has a smattering of bedding around the pillars, IDK the size of a quarter maybe.

Some rifles, like the 10/22, I am not sure bedding would help. IDK - maybe someone who has bedded a 10/22 could chime in.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    To answer OP's question - you could just bed it yourself. But whether you do it or not, also use pillars for the bedding (i.e. pillar bedding). Inserting pillars (metal sleeves around the receiver screws) will insure the screws compress the stock consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom