Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The key elements to success:
    1. Structured dry-fire practice using a par timer
    2. Structured live-fire practice using a shot timer
    3. Competition as a benchmark against other people and yourself
    4. Video yourself doing 1-3 and review
    5. Training with a good instructor

I'm not going to claim to be the bestest pistol shooter, but I can hold my own because I'm doing all that, and I believe that I am still improving as a result. Rifle and shotgun are still a bit of a work in progress for me, but the premise remains broadly the same. :)

OP, if you can make the drive, the Green Ops and JDC clinics at NRA HQ on Sunday nights are a really good starting point for developing pistol and carbine expertise.

TSquare45

MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2022
    College Park, MD
    Between the rave reviews and insightful post I see from Blaster, if no one else takes him up on the offer I sure as hell will...lol

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Homesick Texan

Dec 15, 2012
    Middle TN
    Blaster what is your preferred place(s) to help people shoot. I'm not retired but have some flexibility in my work day. Willing to meet up with TSquare at the same time so as to not waste your time.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Steve was great getting my wife comfortable shooting, and giving me 1 on 1 coaching.

Probably 1 1/2 hours from Annapolis but you may want to check out Flat Broke Shooters in St Mary’s Co. Great staff and nice indoor range and they offer a number of types of training there on site. The owners Cindi and Steve are great to work with and have a lot of experience (including competition).

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    preferred place?

Blaster what is your preferred place(s) to help people shoot. I'm not retired but have some flexibility in my work day. Willing to meet up with TSquare at the same time so as to not waste your time.

his preferred place is behind you with both hands on your shoulders :) J/K Blaster... Seriously, take him up on the offer.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just got back from AGC. Tim did great. AGC pistol sucks. Can someone tell me if you can't shoot into that first berm, then why in the hell is it there? To shoot over it, the targets are so high, you're basically taking head shots. Standing on the paddock and pressing out, top of the berm it's a good portion of center mass.
    The RSO acted like that his own money went into buying topsoil for that precious berm.
    Good time today regardless!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just got back from AGC. Tim did great. AGC pistol sucks. Can someone tell me if you can't shoot into that first berm, then why in the hell is it there? To shoot over it, the targets are so high, you're basically taking head shots. Standing on the paddock and pressing out, top of the berm it's a good portion of center mass.
    The RSO acted like that his own money went into buying topsoil for that precious berm.
    I have literally never shot pistol at the AGC 50yd range for this very reason. If I need to do pistol work, it's generally at a practice event in the bays or at NRA HQ (for zeroing). If there was ever one request I could make of AGC, it would be making this range a lot more friendly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have literally never shot pistol at the AGC 50yd range for this very reason. If I need to do pistol work, it's generally at a practice event in the bays or at NRA HQ (for zeroing).
    Press out, aim 6 inches higher, then shoot. Here I am trying to teach someone not to "combat bowl".

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo

It was a good time Mike! I learned a lot. Since AGC is my only place to practice pistol right now, I guess head shots will be my specialty . Seriously, thanks very much and look forward to shooting with you again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom