• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Couple of questions for the experts:

Building a currently legal AR pistol but reading in the tea leaves that in August the proposed rule changes around pistol braces will take effect. Considering filing a Form 1 to convert to an SBR which will be my first NFA.

1.). Where in MD can I get the ink fingerprint services for the cards (will the service have the card blanks present)?

2.). Looking for opinions also on this process- are others doing similar in advance of expected rule change?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    1. I use FYI Fingerprinting in Ellicott City. Very easy and $10 a card. https://www.fyifingerprints.com/

2. No I think its a waste of time until it actually happens. What if they grandfather you in for free? You will kick yourself for paying $200 then! I actually got two pistol receivers just so they could be free SBRs if the rules change and they are grandfathered in!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    1. I use FYI Fingerprinting in Ellicott City. Very easy and $10 a card. https://www.fyifingerprints.com/

2. No I think its a waste of time until it actually happens. What if they grandfather you in for free? You will kick yourself for paying $200 then! I actually got two pistol receivers just so they could be free SBRs if the rules change and they are grandfathered in!

If the rule change takes effect in August do you think there will there be a grace period to then file for the Form 1 considering the large number (3 million plus) of these out there?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Can't you scan in the fingerprint cards now rather than mail them?

Not to derail

No derailing, good discussion. The two stripped lowers I’m building out now are my first since 2012 or so. I’ve been out of the AR assembly game for awhile- the modern braced pistol phenomenon didn’t even exist last time I was involved in a build.

Also saw DIY fingerprint kits now on Amazon, are those kosher as well? It’s been a long time since I did a physical card (20yrs or so), thought there was some certification that had to be filled out on cards but I could be wrong?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Can't you scan in the fingerprint cards now rather than mail them?

Not to derail

They have to be a specific format. You can't just scan to a jpg and send them in. If you babe prints with Silencer Shop, they can send the digital format for $15.
    There is also another company that can scan them. The name escapes me. But look in the NFA forum. THere is a whole thread on this.

Last edited:

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    They have to be a specific format. You can't just scan to a jpg and send them in. If you babe prints with Silencer Shop, they can send the digital format for $15.
    There is also another company that can scan them. The name escapes me. But look in the NGA forum. THere is a whole thread on this.

Will Silencer Shop send your already scanned fingerprints if you've used them before? I've been putting off submitting a Form 1 because I haven't had time to do fingerprints.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Will Silencer Shop send your already scanned fingerprints if you've used them before? I've been putting off submitting a Form 1 because I haven't had time to do fingerprints.

Yes, I just (today) submitted a F1 through Eforms with them. You can also order n electonic copy for $15 and have it sent to you.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve done mine once a couple years ago and they’ve sent them several times for 4s. I did have to update my picture with my phone.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Do you have to do the F1 at the kiosk?

And i never noticed the fingerprint copy before, thanks for saving me the effort!

https://www.silencershop.com/completed-fingerprint-cards.html

If you have a SS account, they have your info, so at some point you used a kiosk or sent them a fp card.
    I meant to say F4, but either way, I did not leave my house. They have my trust and prints that they can upload to eforms...

Watch the videos on their website.

Warning, getting through to them theses days is challenging. I had to call about mine due to a missing letter in my name on their system. The first time I got right through. The second time took a good while..

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Lots of form 1 walkthroughs, Nationalguntrusts has a lot of decent resources https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-form-1-nfa-tax-stamp-walk-through-guide

Basically to efile, make an account, take a digital pic in the parameters and save it. You need a pair of FD-258 fingerprint cards, lots of gun shops that do NFA stuff can do prints and print out cards for a small fee, or you can order them, and inkless fingerprint pads from Amazon and do it yourself. Fill out the form in the ATF portal, pay the tax with a card, print the cover sheet, mail the cover sheet and cards to the ATF, copy of the F1 to your chief LEO. Wait a month and when you get an e-mail back print out the form, slap a stock on, and set to go. In MD it also has to be over 29" OAL(10.5" barrel or greater).

I have a few SBRs, part of the reason was that at least If the brace thing is over, I have something to use my short uppers on. Ended up really liking some of the PDW and compact stock options, and the form 1 is easy enough I did a few builds as SBRs. Worst case if the ATF bans braces, just pull them off, and keep the pistols with bare buffer tubes till the decision is reversed or you can SBR them.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    If you have a SS account, they have your info, so at some point you used a kiosk or sent them a fp card.
    I meant to say F4, but either way, I did not leave my house. They have my trust and prints that they can upload to eforms...

Watch the videos on their website.

Warning, getting through to them theses days is challenging. I had to call about mine due to a missing letter in my name on their system. The first time I got right through. The second time took a good while..

Gotcha, their Form 1 option is disabled so you doing a Form 4 clears up my confusion.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What changes to Braces?
    Is there a thread here on this?

Changing a lower to SBR will not solve those with pistol braces and OAL < 29"

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    There are too many moving parts and it's too early in my opinion.

there are 2 or 3 Supreme Court opinions which will be handed out by June which will affect whether the ATF can actually go through with this.

we will probably get some kind of guidance on Maryland's assault weapons ban which probably will get thrown out so the 29 and a 1/2 inch requirement will no longer apply.

You have to figure out your points to see what you have is actually illegal once the rule comes out.

At which point you can take the brace off and decide what to do.

I don't see upside to pre-emptively filing a form one for rules that may not ever go into effect.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    What changes to Braces?
    Is there a thread here on this?

Changing a lower to SBR will not solve those with pistol braces and OAL < 29"

I was taking about the Eforms and prints stuff. Don't know anything about changes to braces.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    So this all boils down to shouldering the piece using the brace . They are trying to in a nut shell call a brace a stock ? Or possessing a pistol at or both . Sorry it may seem simple to some but I find it confusing.i just spent some money on a part I don’t want them telling me I can’t have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom