Pistol reflex (red dot) sight - manual or auto brightness?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have posted recently about different reflex pistol sights, and the over whelming concensous was auto brightness is a terrible idea on a defensive weapon.
    I would like to hear from those who have had to draw a pistol (with a reflex sight) in an emergency situation,, how fast did you adjust the brightness manually while the threat evolved?

I have been reading reviews on the Holosun SCS with it's multiple light sensors and it appears it's auto brightens is generations above previous models.
    I am also looking at the 507K (manual brightness),, this is my wife's pistol and have my doubts she would react fast enough to manually adjust a dot, in an emergency situation.

Thoughts?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The plan with any defensive pistol should be as simple as possible. Recognize immediate/deadly threat, draw, point, aim if possible, pull trigger. You won't be able to adjust brightness or most anything else, might not even be able to look through the lens or see the dot before you need to fire. Auto brightness might work, might not adjust fast enough or could be distracting if going from dark concealment to daylight. Manual adjustment can be adjusted to the minimum daylight bright, then anything less will just give an overly bright, but entirely useable dot. Could also adjust to dim light and use cowitnessed irons in daylight. For me most close range drills with my RD equipped pistol go from point shooting to "anything in the window" to the dot on target, brighness, or the sight being on at all really only matters if I have a lot of time or a further shot, both not all that likely in a defensive scenario.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    The plan with any defensive pistol should be as simple as possible. Recognize immediate/deadly threat, draw, point, aim if possible, pull trigger. You won't be able to adjust brightness or most anything else, might not even be able to look through the lens or see the dot before you need to fire. Auto brightness might work, might not adjust fast enough or could be distracting if going from dark concealment to daylight. Manual adjustment can be adjusted to the minimum daylight bright, then anything less will just give an overly bright, but entirely useable dot. Could also adjust to dim light and use cowitnessed irons in daylight. For me most close range drills with my RD equipped pistol go from point shooting to "anything in the window" to the dot on target, brighness, or the sight being on at all really only matters if I have a lot of time or a further shot, both not all that likely in a defensive scenario.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Wife has been practicing "Point-Shoot" drills.
    She does a lot of drills and mini competitions with her women's group, her hard sights are ok for her,, but she really liked the Shield SMSc on my Hellcat.

I am leaning towards the 507K for her CZ 75 compact.
    I really like how impact machine got this one so low,, talking to the owner,, the 507K "notch" lines up perfect with the front sight for "co-witness"

But, yes, understand that in a panic situation, it will be point-shoot with probably no regard for sights/dot.

CZ compact.JPG

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would not use a pistol optic with only auto-brightness for any serious use pistol whether that's duty, self-defense, or competition. My RMR RM01 did not perform very well when I used it in a low-light class, especially with a handheld flashlight during search drills.

They may be acceptable in certain rifle scenarios when used as an offset red dot.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I will tell you what I found that with the Holosun SCS, I have not even noticed the auto brightness. It seems right all the time. I have shot outside with it on a sunny day however I have not done any indoor shooting yet. But I have done a lot of draw and point drills inside and have had no issues.
    With this optic, you do co-witness on the factory sights. I tried aftermarket night sights and they were to tall. If you line up the factory sights, the green dot is right on the front dot. I have considered removing the factory plastic sights all together but I can't find a plug to fill in the rear dovetail.
    The SCS looks great on the guns. It sits low and looks like part of the gun since the grooves on the slide match up with the grooves on the optic. For reference, I have the SCS on a G19 for carry and a G41 for fun and home defense.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Holosun spent a lot of time with Steve Fisher and a couple other pros making the auto-adjust on the SCS work better. I still wouldn't use it on a serious use gun, but I have been contemplating using it on my Maxim 9.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I have a SwampFox Sentinel with RMSc footprint and auto brightness on my Hellcat OSP, and it's been fine shooting inside and out.

One instructor told me that he had a sight before that would go full brightness when holstered, and he would have a red light under his shirt. I haven't see that with mine.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I will tell you what I found that with the Holosun SCS, I have not even noticed the auto brightness. It seems right all the time. I have shot outside with it on a sunny day however I have not done any indoor shooting yet. But I have done a lot of draw and point drills inside and have had no issues.
    With this optic, you do co-witness on the factory sights. I tried aftermarket night sights and they were to tall. If you line up the factory sights, the green dot is right on the front dot. I have considered removing the factory plastic sights all together but I can't find a plug to fill in the rear dovetail.
    The SCS looks great on the guns. It sits low and looks like part of the gun since the grooves on the slide match up with the grooves on the optic. For reference, I have the SCS on a G19 for carry and a G41 for fun and home defense.
    The SCS looks to be a leap ahead of all other auto brightness optics.
    I was very close to having my (Wifes) CZ milled in the MOS foot print for the SCS.
    But is is just a little wider than the 507K and longer,, will it would fit,, it would not leave room for a rear dovetail for a rear sight.
    The 507K has built in "rear notch",, the CZ I pictured - I talked to the owner,, he said the 507k lines up perfect with the CZ front sight for co-witness.

Leaning towards the 507K over the SCS for the CZ

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    I just keep my pistol dots bright enough to see during the daylight. It may end up being brighter than optimal in the dark but would still get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom