• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    Irregardless of cost, what is the most reliable pistol red dot sight for EDC and competition? I am looking at 6 MOA, but that is not a deal breaker. Clarity of dot and long term reliability are most important along with battery life since the dot will be left on for EDC. What about the enclosed housing sights like the Aimpoint Micro?
    Thanks for the help.

cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    Irregardless of cost, what is the most reliable pistol red dot sight for EDC and competition? I am looking at 6 MOA, but that is not a deal breaker. Clarity of dot and long term reliability are most important along with battery life since the dot will be left on for EDC. What about the enclosed housing sights like the Aimpoint Micro?
    Thanks for the help.

I meant Aimpoint ACRO Sight, not Micro.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the help.
    RMR (adjustable brightness models, not fiber optic or fixed) or ACRO P2 (not P1). Choose one.

SRO and Deltapoint Pro are also good choices and have much bigger windows (better for competition), but are probably a notch down from the RMR and ACRO P2 in terms of reliability. I still think they're good choices for EDC.

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    Typically the responses will be RMR then DPP….I am in love with my holosun tho. I do have a DPP no RMR yet. But I will pick up one soon and will have a better opinion of the true hierarchy.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I have the RMR and the Holosun (can't remember which model exactly) but the Holosun is better than the RMR to my non-professional self. Cheaper too.

The acro looks great though. Maybe that's next...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    RMR (adjustable brightness models, not fiber optic or fixed) or ACRO P2 (not P1). Choose one.

SRO and Deltapoint Pro are also good choices and have much bigger windows (better for competition), but are probably a notch down from the RMR and ACRO P2 in terms of reliability. I still think they're good choices for EDC.

Has battery life been improved in the Acro P2 vs the P1? The P1 was dreadful...

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Has battery life been improved in the Acro P2 vs the P1? The P1 was dreadful...
    Battery life is significantly better for the P2. Aimpoint advertises a 50,000 hour battery life on whatever setting they measure that on.

For long term durability, the rmr type 2 is king. Acro P2 will probably hold up about as well, but hasn’t been out very long. All the holosun MRDS options hold up very well and are a great option if you’re on a budget or don’t mind Chinese optics. The delta point pro is pretty good, as is the Trijicon SRO, though neither is as durable as the other listed options. Probably any of these are fine for EDC.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The P1 battery life was so bad that they re-engineered the housing for a 2032 battery in the P2.

To me, that makes them worth a look. Is their clarity still the same? Or did they move to a stronger notch filter as part of the power savings? Some people are bothered by 'heavier' notch filters, which the P1 didn't have.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I have the trijicon RMRs as well as vortex venoms. I have several of each and really like them both. I have one venom on a 509CT and one RMR on a FNX45T. Another RMR on a LTT1301, and another venom as a canted sight on a rifle. My buddy has a Holosun and the image looks very distorted to me, I dont care for it.

One of my RMR is the 1mil dot and the other is the 6.5 or 3.25, i cant remember. Even right next to each other, adjusting the brightness can make the dots appear identical in size to my eyes. Maybe it makes a difference at the extremes of adjustment, but I'm usually somewhere in the middle, so I don't really notice much difference.

I once knocked my 509 off a table and it fell directly on the venom. Put a nice dent in the hood, but was otherwise fine, and still dead on zero. They have excellent warranty, so I worry about them less than the RMRs.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    To me, that makes them worth a look. Is their clarity still the same? Or did they move to a stronger notch filter as part of the power savings? Some people are bothered by 'heavier' notch filters, which the P1 didn't have.
    They are barely out in the wild, but I don’t think the notch filter is supposed to be any heavier. I want to say it is like all newer aimpoints that seem to have a bit of a blue tint if viewed at an angle, but are clear when viewed straight on. If so, it doesn’t bother me, but neither does heavy notch filtering like in the Trijicon MRO.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I have seen good reviews on the Holosun HE507K. I am considering this one, myself. It has a red or green option and can be switched from dot to aiming circle or to dot inside of the aiming circle (good for older eyes).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have seen good reviews on the Holosun HE507K. I am considering this one, myself. It has a red or green option and can be switched from dot to aiming circle or to dot inside of the aiming circle (good for older eyes).

I have the green one and it’s fantastic, no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I have the green one and it’s fantastic, no complaints.
    Good to hear. I was leaning toward the green.

(I also like that it has a side access battery so it doesn’t have to be removed to change battery.)

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm a closed emitter RDS fan. I like the holosun and aimpoint ACRO closed emitter optics.

That being said I own the P1 and P2. My P2 battery died last week after only 6 months. Medium dot setting.

The P1 would do the same in 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom