• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    It's handy to have co-witnessing sights/dots, but after a while, you will stop co-witnessing and keep the dot in the middle of the window. It's easier and faster.
    I can see an argument for that, I still prefer absolute. 3 of my red dot bearing pistols are FNs, so about the lowest optic mount on the market, and they come with suppressor height sights, made it easy. And when my dot dissappears due to battery or what have you, sight picture doesnt change.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I can see an argument for that, I still prefer absolute. 3 of my red dot bearing pistols are FNs, so about the lowest optic mount on the market, and they come with suppressor height sights, made it easy. And when my dot dissappears due to battery or what have you, sight picture doesnt change.
    One of my pistols has a dying Trij rmr(type 1) that's dot faded on and off whilst shooting. I had zero problems transitioning back and forth in the middle of a shot string.

YMMV

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don’t like the larger (6MOA) red dots, prefer something in the 1-3 MOA range. I have astigmatism and larger dots bloom badly. I also don’t like green dots. Trying to use those outside against a green background (grass and foliage) is annoying. Red works well everywhere I have been. Maybe there is a better all around color than red, but I haven’t seen it yet. I also don’t like absolute cowitness because it obscures small targets a bit for me (even with both eyes open) and I’d rather be able to see as much of what I’m shooting at as possible. I don’t mind transitioning to a lower cowitness if my optic goes out. I worried it might mess me up, but it doesn’t seem to.

I think the ACSS Vulcan reticle or the Bullseye type holosun reticle is great for adapting to pistol MRDS. If those weren’t available, I’d just go with a smaller dot and accept that the learning curve might be a little longer. Touching upon cowitnessing again and why I think you shouldn’t do it until you really give optics a fair chance: A lot of people handicap themselves by trying to use irons to line up the pistol first, then transition to the dot. The advantage of an MRDS is that your target and the aiming device are on the same focal plane. You should train so that the dot appears on the target while you maintain eyes on the target and your surroundings.

That said, those are just my opinions and we all have differences those and in eyesight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom