• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Warning: Cabelas sends BP guns Adult signature required.

So if it is a PITA to meet the UPS man at home, have the BP gun shipped to a more convenient address.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks for the warning. I have my UPS account and I live one exit from a UPS depot and use will call

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have one with the shorty 5" barrel during last year's annual sale. Never got around to shooting it but its well constructed, times well, decent trigger, fun to play with and looks good on the shelf.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I bought one a little while back and I loved shooting it, but I must be horrible at cleaning it. No matter what I do it turns brown within a few days and the hammer is hard to pull back. I took it backpacking and shot it in the woods and after getting all the accessories I think that is the most fun backpacking gun ever. I also regret getting the shorter barrel one because pushing the ball in is really hard on your hand. I am a complete black powder novice.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I bought one a little while back and I loved shooting it, but I must be horrible at cleaning it. No matter what I do it turns brown within a few days and the hammer is hard to pull back. I took it backpacking and shot it in the woods and after getting all the accessories I think that is the most fun backpacking gun ever. I also regret getting the shorter barrel one because pushing the ball in is really hard on your hand. I am a complete black powder novice.

What's your cleaning regimen look like? And are you oiling the gun afterward?

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    What's your cleaning regimen look like? And are you oiling the gun afterward?

Same as a normal gun just with the solvent made for black powder. I can go dig it out and see what it is. I glob on the oil and spread it with a rag before storage.

Im up and bored right now... I think Im gonna try hot soapy water like Ive read.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For a good shootin well made BP revolver nothing beats the Ruger Old Army. Not in production but the used market has them and some are in fine shape hardly shot at all. Some people try BP and decide they don't like it so they never shoot the gun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Finally opened up the box after sitting in the basement for weeks.
    Interesting how the hammer is the rear sight. Holster is a bit tight.

Attachments

• image-1136766272.jpg
      image-1136766272.jpg
      87 KB · Views: 305
    • image-3096652655.jpg
      image-3096652655.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 246
    • image-4119463822.jpg
      image-4119463822.jpg
      84 KB · Views: 292
    • image-3019782851.jpg
      image-3019782851.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 239

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've used a miniature slitting file to improve the hammer notch rear sights on Colt-style revolvers. Make a rectangular slot as deep as possible, and bury the front sight. It will still shoot high unless you put a higher front sight on it.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Finally opened up the box after sitting in the basement for weeks.
    Interesting how the hammer is the rear sight. Holster is a bit tight.

Apply Neatsfoot Oil liberally to the leather and let it soak in overnight. Wear it with the colt for a couple of days. It'll fit like a glove and look better too.

Dec 31, 2012
    I've found my straight from the box Cabela's special to be remarkably accurate using that hammer sight.

I really need to get it out more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom