• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ooootis

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2023
    Calvert County
    I have been giving a modern 9 32 scope but the rings are dovetails. Am I asking for the correct mounting configuration for a nylon 66?

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I believe that you need dovetail rings for the grooved top of the Nylon 66 receiver.

Just google "dovetail scope rings". They also have a dovetail to picatinney rail adapter, if that would better suit you.

ooootis

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2023
    Calvert County
    Does your cover resemble this

Attachments

• 20231202_090643.jpg
      20231202_090643.jpg
      191 KB · Views: 55

ooootis

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2023
    Calvert County
    I believe that you need dovetail rings for the grooved top of the Nylon 66 receiver.

Just google "dovetail scope rings". They also have a dovetail to picatinney rail adapter, if that would better suit you.
    Not to be hardheaded or arguemenitive if dovetails won't work on the cover picatinney rail doesn't seen the right fit

This the dovetailed mounting ring

Attachments

• 20231202_092811.jpg
      20231202_092811.jpg
      196.5 KB · Views: 49

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd suggest using regular .22 mounts for grooved receivers, especially for an M-66. Picatinny rails add unnecessary height, bulk and weight.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the pic. Now I'm confused. You mentioned smaller 3/8 dove tails. What is smaller that groove is maybe. 040 wide
    The 3/8" dovetail rings are what's recommended for the m66 nylon. If you must put a scope on one, that would be the preferred route to go. Adding a pic rail is just junk stacking, giving you more to go wrong.

ooootis

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2023
    Calvert County
    Thanks everyone. I'm on the same sheet as ya'll now. I do believe the scope I have is a low profile flat type dovetail. I have seen examples of the 3/8 dove tail with a cove recessed in the upper mounting area that appears to be what I need.

ooootis

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2023
    Calvert County
    The 3/8" dovetail rings are what's recommended for the m66 nylon. If you must put a scope on one, that would be the preferred route to go. Adding a pic rail is just junk stacking, giving you more to go wrong.
    That was one point of confusion that the whole scope would be entirely to high

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup .

40 years ago , you would have had to be careful not to get tipoff mounts intended for 3/4 inch scope tube, but nowadays everything is for 1 inch , if not 30mm , and you'd have to search hard to find 3/4 for a retro build .

ooootis

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2023
    Calvert County
    Also called '.22 Tipoff Mounts'. Got em at the Tackle Box in Lexington Park. I was still having trouble stopped over at Medusa Muntions table today they confirmed as well as most everyone else "yep dems the ones" Joe took 2 - 3 mins to show me I was wrong LOL. Thanks for the tips ya'll.

Attachments

• 1000002846.jpg
      1000002846.jpg
      347.2 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads