• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    A few weeks ago i fired off a email to gov. Hogan office asking about the possibility of getting a book together with all the carry laws for the state, county and towns. Also asked about the possibility of getting the rules for state and federal parks changed. today i get a phone call from a 410 number from pikesville. It was a msp trouper calling me in regards to the email saying the gov office sent it off to him to deal with. He was very casual and actually joking some. He agreed that there should be one place for all the laws. I explained that i have looked but can not find much information about local laws and i am trying to make sure I don’t do anything illegal. I explained to him my concerns about the parks and he agreed with me saying in alaska people have a 357 magnum on their side because the police are 2 hours out and the bear is right there. He tried to answer my questions but doesn’t have the information, he could tell me the state laws, i said i am good with state laws as they are easily found. He did say the laws about parks may change because of the court decision about sensitive places. He did say if he was printing the book he would wait until after spring because things may change.

we got on the subject of me not having my licence yet he said he knows and had it up, he was nice and said i am just stuck in the cue and shouldn’t be much longer. I did think it was odd for him to pull my information over a few simple questions and idea. We where on the phone about 15 minutes Total.

USAF05

Just one more gun...
    Sep 26, 2022
    Andrews AF
    A few weeks ago i fired off a email to gov. Hogan office asking about the possibility of getting a book together with all the carry laws for the state, county and towns. Also asked about the possibility of getting the rules for state and federal parks changed. today i get a phone call from a 410 number from pikesville. It was a msp trouper calling me in regards to the email saying the gov office sent it off to him to deal with. He was very casual and actually joking some. He agreed that there should be one place for all the laws. I explained that i have looked but can not find much information about local laws and i am trying to make sure I don’t do anything illegal. I explained to him my concerns about the parks and he agreed with me saying in alaska people have a 357 magnum on their side because the police are 2 hours out and the bear is right there. He tried to answer my questions but doesn’t have the information, he could tell me the state laws, i said i am good with state laws as they are easily found. He did say the laws about parks may change because of the court decision about sensitive places. He did say if he was printing the book he would wait until after spring because things may change.

we got on the subject of me not having my licence yet he said he knows and had it up, he was nice and said i am just stuck in the cue and shouldn’t be much longer. I did think it was odd for him to pull my information over a few simple questions and idea. We where on the phone about 15 minutes Total.
    Yea I was told they have to pull from the bottom of the stack, that even their permits (which is ridiculous that troopers even need permits) have to go in order due to the 90 day turnaround. At least they are sticking to it I guess.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Sounds like he knows something we don’t about the folly we are about to get hit with this spring from Annapolis.

As far as state parks and forests. All the years I’ve been hiking through them I have never been frisked. If I do see someone it’s a courteous greeting and I move on, as it should be.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Sounds like he knows something we don’t about the folly we are about to get hit with this spring from Annapolis.

As far as state parks and forests. All the years I’ve been hiking through them I have never been frisked. If I do see someone it’s a courteous greeting and I move on, as it should be.
    I got the same impression but we know he can not go into it, it almost sounded like he wanted to though. My question was mainly about local parks that he could not answer. suggested i contact the towns themselves about local ordnance. I have talked to a few local police officers and they said if it is concealed how will anyone know and if you have to use it then you can deal with it then but you will be alive to. They didn’t sound like they where concerned with permit holders in sensitive places.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nobody knows. GA won't be able to mess with us until the session opens in January. We'll see how it shakes out in April.

But yes, certainly folly.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I give a well earned thanks to the MSP in doing the best they can with the new flood of wear and carry licenses.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I give a well earned thanks to the MSP in doing the best they can with the new flood of wear and carry licenses.
    I know we all are frustrated with the time frame it takes but we all know they are flooded with application.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Yea, I second that. I really expected the worse in delays and bureaucracy but in hindsight MSP pushed through that first wave that I was in after the Bruen decision quickly.

Having said that I do have strong feelings about the unnecessary and unconstitutional requirements we all have to through even after Justice Thomas made it clear “no shenanigans “

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yea, I second that. I really expected the worse in delays and bureaucracy but in hindsight MSP pushed through that first wave that I was in after the Bruen decision quickly.

Having said that I do have strong feelings about the unnecessary and unconstitutional requirements we all have to through even after Justice Thomas made it clear “no shenanigans “
    I am not a fan of the MDSP in general and most of my interactions with them have been somewhere between frosty and negative, with the glaring exception of Ms. Brown when she was at Licensing. That woman was the single most impressive maryland state employee I ever dealt with in her knowledge of the NFA process.

That said, I personally believe that there are a lot of people working at Licensing that don't really hold a strong opinion on the carry issue. They have their jobs and they do them according to the orders that come down. If pressure is applied to screw with applications, that will be done. If the order is to shovel out the backlog, that will be done.

etc1006

Nov 19, 2014
    SW Balto County
    Honestly, your interaction with the officer seemed great! Ida probably offered him lunch sometime just for being down to earth about it! I have spoken to a couple LEOs I know and even a couple that have come through work in their thoughts of us LAGOs finally being allowed to exercise our rights in this aspect. And they all are happy for the change. Look at it this way (this is almost how one of them put it" "We as LEOs are stretched thin and over worked as it is, with the general vilification/etc of law enforcement. Its kind comforting to know more licensed LAGOs are out there, and in a way, our backup. Lord knows we all are tired of rampant crime in general...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    we really should have national carry and national rules. already with 50 states and DC, there's a lot that can go wrong on a cross country road trip. and then if counties, cities and towns can make up their on bullsh1t laws, there's virtually no way to stay legal (unless leaving the gun at home) when you're out and about. and they definitely want it that way, it's not by accident.

but good on your email being responded to and passed down.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Honestly, your interaction with the officer seemed great! Ida probably offered him lunch sometime just for being down to earth about it! I have spoken to a couple LEOs I know and even a couple that have come through work in their thoughts of us LAGOs finally being allowed to exercise our rights in this aspect. And they all are happy for the change. Look at it this way (this is almost how one of them put it" "We as LEOs are stretched thin and over worked as it is, with the general vilification/etc of law enforcement. Its kind comforting to know more licensed LAGOs are out there, and in a way, our backup. Lord knows we all are tired of rampant crime in general...
    I'm sure that they don't want tons of frivolous "MWAG" calls either

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Honestly, your interaction with the officer TROOPER seemed great! Ida probably offered him lunch sometime just for being down to earth about it! I have spoken to a couple LEOs I know and even a couple that have come through work in their thoughts of us LAGOs finally being allowed to exercise our rights in this aspect. And they all are happy for the change. Look at it this way (this is almost how one of them put it" "We as LEOs are stretched thin and over worked as it is, with the general vilification/etc of law enforcement. Its kind comforting to know more licensed LAGOs are out there, and in a way, our backup. Lord knows we all are tired of rampant crime in general...
    FIFY

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I applied for PA and got approval 3 days later. In PA each county Sherriff's office does the approvals for that county's residents. Now that the standards are non subjective no reason why that model couldn't be used in MD to ease the administrative burden. Unless the states like to keep the inflow of cash .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nobody knows. GA won't be able to mess with us until the session opens in January. We'll see how it shakes out in April.

But yes, certainly folly.
    They may not have a gnats fart in the wind chance of passing, but I do hope our 2A friendly legislators propose some bills doing just what should happen and will likely take a court order otherwise to happen. Remove things like carry bans in parks and forests in the state. I think there is at least a small chance it could pass with the logic that a lawsuit is going to cost a fair amount of $$$ for the state and the chances those current bans hold up is almost nothing.

Logic has never bitten some of those legislators on the butt before, but I can hope with the current court environment that perhaps there are enough Ds on the other side of the aisle that can see SOME kind of sense. I hold little hope of that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom