• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedracer

Dec 22, 2016
    I have 2 PF940C builds. One works as expected, the other will not rack the slide at all. the slide fits the frame as expected, but cannot rack it at all. it feels/ sounds like it is hitting metal when I try and rack. It will slide back without the spring and barrel. I have cleaned out the channel and do not think that is the problem, but could be wrong. In the pics the one on the right works, the one on the left will not rack.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.jpg
      IMG_1731.jpg
      252.9 KB · Views: 101
    • IMG_1729.jpg
      IMG_1729.jpg
      320.6 KB · Views: 99
    • IMG_1733.jpg
      IMG_1733.jpg
      376.4 KB · Views: 87
    • IMG_1734.jpg
      IMG_1734.jpg
      389 KB · Views: 96

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Outrider58 is your man...

Paging Outrider58, paging Outrider58....you have a call

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Clear out the RSA channel a little more, even if it goes past the lines. And smooth out more

speedracer

Dec 22, 2016
    I just cleared out the channel a little more, it is now past the lines and past the one of the working build.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Is it the one on the right or left not working??

Did you use a badger on a stick to clear those RSA channels?

The takedown spring is very raised on one of them. Some people clip a bit off the inserted end of this spring for better results.

speedracer

Dec 22, 2016
    Is it the one on the right or left not working??

Did you use a badger on a stick to clear those RSA channels?

The takedown spring is very raised on one of them. Some people clip a bit off the inserted end of this spring for better results.
    the one on the left is the one not working.

I used a round file to clear the channels after I cut away most with a Dremel.

I get the same result with the takedown removed.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I'm scared of ghosts, but some people will use the striker channel insert tool wrapped with sandpaper to clean this area up, without having a better tool. Also, a razor blade can be used to remove the slide tabs just by cutting a little deeper each time, and then give a light sanding. I know these won't help much now.

I keep looking and racking my brain, as I knew someone who had this same problem, and I was there when he fixed it, I just can't remember the specifics.

I can't tell if it is the picture angle but the slide rails look like they are in different places on each, particularly in the rear near the fire control mechanism.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Press the trigger back. It looks like the one you're having issues with has the trigger pulled forward. It needs to be dropped all the way back for your slide to go on well. Aside from that, you can clean up the channel by chucking a drill bit into a power drill, tossing tape on one end of a strip of sandpaper, and then winding the sandpaper around the drill bit. Work medium grit to fine and you should be able to get pretty good results that way.

If the trigger issue doesn't resolve it, yank the barrel and recoil spring and see if the slide freely moves between the rails. Then you can add the barrel and recoil spring and see where the hangup is happening. Hopefully It's not misaligned holes or anything big.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Press the trigger back. It looks like the one you're having issues with has the trigger pulled forward. It needs to be dropped all the way back for your slide to go on well. Aside from that, you can clean up the channel by chucking a drill bit into a power drill, tossing tape on one end of a strip of sandpaper, and then winding the sandpaper around the drill bit. Work medium grit to fine and you should be able to get pretty good results that way.

If the trigger issue doesn't resolve it, yank the barrel and recoil spring and see if the slide freely moves between the rails. Then you can add the barrel and recoil spring and see where the hangup is happening. Hopefully It's not misaligned holes or anything big.
    I was thinking trigger too.

speedracer

Dec 22, 2016

I have tried with the trigger pulled all the way back and all the way forward. The working build works with the trigger either way. The slide will move freely without the spring and barrel in it. All the pins went in smoothly so I am not thinking holes are misaligned.

speedracer

Dec 22, 2016
    thanks all for the advice. it turned out to be the slide stop lever being installed incorrectly. all is working now.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Looking at the pics, I would have guessed that the one on the right was the problem child. The slide lock spring is not properly seated in the slot in the guide rod channel channel. It should be flush through its entire length inside the channel. The way it is sticking up(at the bend) may cause cycling problems when firing.

If you start having ejection failures, you might consider replacing the #336 ejector with a gen 5 #30274 ejectors. I usually upgrade the extractors as well. If extraction and ejection problems arise, replacing those two parts will usually solve them.

YMMV

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Ok, I need to get together with Speedracer, Outrider, or anyone of you that helped him out. Slightly different problem. It is very hard to rack the slide and it won't return to battery without slingshotting it. Even if I fire it, I have to slam it forward after each shot. I think mine is a slide problem (rock slide). I have filed, sanded, polished, etc. I don't have an OEM slide to check it. Feel free to PM me if you want to help. I will come to you.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Ok, I need to get together with Speedracer, Outrider, or anyone of you that helped him out. Slightly different problem. It is very hard to rack the slide and it won't return to battery without slingshotting it. Even if I fire it, I have to slam it forward after each shot. I think mine is a slide problem (rock slide). I have filed, sanded, polished, etc. I don't have an OEM slide to check it. Feel free to PM me if you want to help. I will come to you.
    Can you post some pics? Someone here can probably see the issue.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Your channels look too shallow and too rough. I recommend you ramp them down to the dust cover floor and make them as smooth as possible. Go to the MGB videos for instruction. I recommend fine sanding with an extended fine sanding drum and handpiece. There should be no rough spots anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom