• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    For the last two years I have been hunting with the Ruger American Ranch in 350 Legend. Unfortunately I haven’t harvest a buck (it is just me, I won’t shoot a doe), looking for real time experience harvesting a deer.

What is your personal experience with the kill, round & grain. Yes, many articles on the web, BUT I am looking for 1st hand experience with members of this forum…

Thanks

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I lost count of how many deer we've killed in the last couple years with the 350 Legend. I'd guess at least 20, maybe 30. Shots from a few yards to 213 yards, all one shot kills, haven't lost any deer either. We have 6, me, my 2 sons and 2 grandsons, another good friend as well as a few other friends. I have personal experience with 5 Ruger Americans, a Franchi and Ruger AR. Different guns shoot different ammo good but most everything shoots good. It's the only cartridge I don't bother reloading because factory ammo shoots so well. We use Winchester 150xp, Hornady Whitetail 170 and Hornady 165ftx. Most if not all bullets go through a deer but cause a fair amount of damage and leave a lot of blood. Most deer run only a short distance if they don't drop.
    In my opinion the 30-06, 308 etc. is just a little too much for deer (but still a great choice), causes a lot of damage. The 350 is close to ideal especially for kids or recoil shy shooters.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Only shot one with mine as I’m mostly a bow hunter but 1 shot 30 yards trot then dropped dead!

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    I put together a Howa Mini in 350 Legend this year and carried it a few days. Haven't shot a deer with it yet but want to see how it performs compared to my 450 Bushmasters. The mini with it's 16" barrel seems like a great size for treestands, etc.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I lost count of how many deer we've killed in the last couple years with the 350 Legend. I'd guess at least 20, maybe 30. Shots from a few yards to 213 yards, all one shot kills, haven't lost any deer either. We have 6, me, my 2 sons and 2 grandsons, another good friend as well as a few other friends. I have personal experience with 5 Ruger Americans, a Franchi and Ruger AR. Different guns shoot different ammo good but most everything shoots good. It's the only cartridge I don't bother reloading because factory ammo shoots so well. We use Winchester 150xp, Hornady Whitetail 170 and Hornady 165ftx. Most if not all bullets go through a deer but cause a fair amount of damage and leave a lot of blood. Most deer run only a short distance if they don't drop.
    In my opinion the 30-06, 308 etc. is just a little too much for deer (but still a great choice), causes a lot of damage. The 350 is close to ideal especially for kids or recoil shy shooters.
    I’m a bow hunter looking to do some crop damage work so I built a 350 last year. My friends who have never really bow hunted but have rifle hunted all their life with mostly 30-06 use the high shoulder shot that will shock the spine and drop them dead. Since neither they or I have any 350 experience what is the preferred shot placement with that round.
    Thanks
    Ron

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Power Point 180gr
    75 Yard Shot
    Ran about 50 yards and dropped. Little to no blood trail unfortunately. Heart/Lung shot.

I wouldn’t say I’m blown away with performance, but that was only one experience. For what it is and where I can use it, it’s great.

Last edited:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Power Point 180gr
    75 Yard Shot
    Ran about 50 yards and dropped. Little to no blood trail unfortunately. Heart/Lung shot.

I wouldn’t say I’m blown away with performance, but that was only one experience. For what it is and where I can use it, it’s great.
    Sometimes a heart shot deer doesnt leave a great bloodtrail, no matter what you shoot them with.

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Sometimes a heart shot deer doesnt leave a great bloodtrail, no matter what you shoot them with.
    exactly.

my wife just smoked a big doe with a .270 win (she refused to use the 350 Ruger american lol) and no passthrough, no blood at all. luckily it only ran 30 yds and she saw which way it went.

350 legend will leave a nice exit with deer season xp and barnes vor-tx is amazing. drops em right there. shoot the same spot you would want to with any other rifle. its plenty of power for whitetails

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I’ve only killed two bucks with my 350. Shooting a Savage Apex using 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP. First buck was two seasons ago, was quartering towards me at about 60-65 yards. One shot on the inside of the left shoulder, bullet lodged under the skin behind the right shoulder. That deer was dead before he hit the ground, not a twitch. Second buck was Friday of the first week firearms this year, broadside shot as he was chasing does. I used a rangefinder from the deer back to the stand, 84 yards. That buck hit the ground and didn’t get up, but he did thrash around a bit. I used a second round on that one while he was on the ground. Once the decision is made to take an animal, I don’t like to see them suffer longer than necessary. But neither deer moved from where they were shot.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Killed one 8 pt last year with it. Shot him at 120 yards right behind the shoulder. Fell right over, I turned to shoot the doe that ran behind my stand, looked for her for about ten seconds, turn around and the buck is walking away up the hill. I manage to put another round in him quartering away and he went down again. No exit on either. I should've tried fishing out the bullets when gutting but the insides were a mess. 160gr factory fusions. Blood trail was good when I backtracked but I'm not super impressed with that one experience. Every other gun killed deer has been bottleneck rifle cartridges from .223 to .30-06.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I have a Henry single shot in .350 Legend and I use Winchester Deer Season XP 180 grain. The majority of my shots will be 100 yards or less, so I went with the heavier bullet.

While hunting I've fired two shots and cleanly killed two deer. The first was a buck in 2021. I hit him broadside just above the heart and he made it 20 yards and dropped dead. That shot was 35 yards.

A couple days ago I shot a doe at 74 yards who was basically facing me straight on. I hit her just inside the right shoulder and she dropped on the spot and was dead in about 10 seconds. My dad has a Savage and hunts with the same round as me. The day after I shot my doe he shot a 150 pound buck at 50 yards, straight on. The bullet did not exit the deer, and he ran about 45 yards before dying. There was only a light blood trail due to only having an entrance wound, but the internal bleeding was extensive.

I have complete confidence in that round and will never take my slug gun out for deer again. My uncle, who is in his 60s and has been hunting with 12 gauge slugs for 50 years, is not convinced despite being present for both of my kills and the two other deer on the farm that have been taken with a .350. Maybe after a few more he'll come around.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I also took a buck in 2021 with 180 grn Winchester. It was a 35 ish shot and the deer went maybe 10 yds. and died. I hit him low in the front shoulder and completely broke the front leg. The bullet excited the other side. It's very effective.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No question it works . Heck , I know .357 mag leverguns work .

Is it a significant improvement over my Savage fully rifled bolt action 12ga that shoots one hole group with BRI Sabots ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom