• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I put off acquiring a Remington 51 for such a long time, always distracted by something else shiny. So figured it was time to get serious about putting one into the safe. Chambered in both .380 and .32 I always leaned hard to the rarer .32 version. A nice 95 point example will sell around $650-750. Cleaner than that hovers in the $800 range. So to get a very clean example for well under that was a delight.
    -John Pedersen's unique hesitation delay design allowed for a low bore axis and less felt recoil while also being much lighter than a blow-back design. It's also one of the best natural pointing handguns of all time, the result of Pedersen taking ergonomics seriously. I concur that it just points naturally, very much like a Luger which is my favorite in that aspect.
    -If there is a downside to the 51 it is the complex trigger and safety mechanisms, which made it more expensive to produce versus its main competition from Colt and Savage. The 51 sports 3 safeties: manual lever, magazine and grip. The grip safety pops out when the gun is cocked, doing double duty as a cocking indicator.
    -It also didn't help marketing that Remington didn't have much of a history in the handgun market as they were much better known for their long arms. So when you thought of handguns Remington didn't come to mind right away. In fact, after the 51 production ended Remington didn't build another handgun until the XP100 in the early 60s. Nevertheless it had its fans, most notable amongst them bein General George Patton who carried a 51.
    -Production ran from 1918 to 1926 with reports of some examples assembled from spares up until the mid 30s. The total number built was approx. 65,000 with only 10,278 in .32 ACP. The SN on my example is in the late 64,000 range so I'm assuming it's one of the last built.
    -There were two variants of the 51. The easiest way to tell them apart is by the slide serrations, with the early version sporting 9 wide and the later 15 narrow.
    -The best article on the Remington I've run across was written by Ed Buffaloe. If you're curious about this neat pistol give it a read here.

Attachments

• IMGP0243.JPG
      IMGP0243.JPG
      218.7 KB · Views: 56
    • IMGP0244.JPG
      IMGP0244.JPG
      215.7 KB · Views: 51
    • IMGP0245.JPG
      IMGP0245.JPG
      179.7 KB · Views: 48
    • IMGP0247.JPG
      IMGP0247.JPG
      113.4 KB · Views: 54

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    They're neat. I've thought about buying one many a time just to fiddle with it because the design is so unique.

Jul 1, 2012
    Nice shape, not all beat up and worn like you often see with deeze.
    Yours is probably early/mid S/N for the .32's; mine (.32) is almost at 68k and there was another batch in the 70k (supposedly) and 90k (never seen one, those are probably the parts-cleanup guns?). It's a pain to take apart IMHO but it is indeed interesting action. I used that Blinking Eye article and a YooToobe video to get the thing back together, which was a little tricky. I know everybody says they are the best naturally-pointing pistol ever made but I didn't think so... for me the good 'ole 1911 holds that distinction :)

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Gorgeous pistol and

challenge for you Mawkie.

Post a picture of John Pedersen.

(Hint it’s a challenge because it’s not going to be easy to find one. Your first inclination may not be correct.)

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    View attachment 450946
    Figured you would appreciate this photo of Pedersen with his "Device".

That’s not John Pedersen. It’s John Hession.

John Hession was an engineer at Remington and a world famous competition shooter.

The origin of this being Pedersen began with the Remington Society and no one ever double checked it.

Kinda sad he was very prominent in his day. One of his rifles is at the NRA museum.

One of my subscribers is doing an article on Pedersen and his device. You’ll see some photos I gave him that haven’t been seen before. Like him posing with his team after the Pan-American games.

Pedersen was pretty old and I think he had a mustache by 1918 and into the early 20s.

Last edited:

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Have a .380 early model, bought by accident. Not nearly as nice as the OP, but has a three digit serial number so a 1919 model. One of those online auctions where I tossed in a low bid, expecting to get outbid and didn't. Came without the mag, originals are pricey, using a Triple K and no problems. I've only fired it a few times, a solid shooter, but parts are scarce and don't want to take on a full teardown. Find the grip safety as the slide lock ingenious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom