• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am building a bolt rifle for this and the precision/tactical event for next year. My goal is under $1000, magazine fed, less the scope. So far I am at about $750 and I am wondering if I want to go for the Bell and Carlson bedded tactical stock or stick with the Hogue it came with now and do that later. I already own bipods and 4-14x44 tactical scopes for now (figure I will need more power later, but that was enough for the P/T match with my AR in 2012).

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Great shooting and congrats! What were the distances and how many targets?

There were 20 targets in 4 stages. 5 targets per stage. The ranges were from 300 yards out to just over 1000 yards. You had 3 shots per target to make a hit with a 5 minute time limit for each stage.

Congrats to Tom on some great shooting.

Here are a couple of pics I took.

1027121306b.jpg

1027121306.jpg

1027121306a.jpg

1027121156c.jpg

1027121156.jpg

1027121307.jpg

Pchef

May 8, 2012
    Germantown
    PNTC Long Range Precision Challenge

My son and I shot this with you guys. It was a good time. The only problem with the four squads was I didn't get over and see who was shooting really well. I think PNTC messed up on the order based on misses, so I think I came in tied for 6th ( Dblitz) I look forward to getting to know you guys more in the future.
    BTW I'm new on the forum, but you might have seen the video I did for the Sept1 shoot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1JTqUH51E

2012-10-27_11-55-49_913.jpg

2012-10-27_12-11-05_443.jpg

2012-10-27_11-08-53_55.jpg

Pchef

May 8, 2012
    Germantown
    B&C

I am building a bolt rifle for this and the precision/tactical event for next year. My goal is under $1000, magazine fed, less the scope. So far I am at about $750 and I am wondering if I want to go for the Bell and Carlson bedded tactical stock or stick with the Hogue it came with now and do that later. I already own bipods and 4-14x44 tactical scopes for now (figure I will need more power later, but that was enough for the P/T match with my AR in 2012).

photoracer, you can see I put a B&C on my Savage 10fp in the pic above. To tell you the truth, I regret not getting the fully adjustable one. It's twice as much, but I had to put the kydex cheek pad on, and I am having to extend the butt out quite a bit. The standard stock is really short and removing the butt pad was a PITA.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    One of the guys in our squad was running an AR-10. If I had to guess I would say mostly .308's. I know there was at least one .300 win mag and I think a .243

Corey G

Worst Speller Ever
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Oxford PA
    Are you guys using range finders before hand or during prep or just ranging using the scope. Are most people holding over or adjusting the scope inbetween shots? Do the targets range quit a bit in stages ie ones at 300 ones at 900 or are they usually similar distances?

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    We ranged them first. Then before the match started we were given the ranges. Most I saw, including me were adjusting for distance but holding for the wind.

Each stage had a good variety of distances.

Corey G

Worst Speller Ever
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Oxford PA
    I feel like we had this conversation before you running your Fclass rig? Whats the biggest difference/challanges between fclass and this? Thanks

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I feel like we had this conversation before you running your Fclass rig? Whats the biggest difference/challanges between fclass and this? Thanks

No I ran my 700 AAC. The difference is the target size varies as well as the distance. Plus with the time limit and multiple targets you have to get on target after you make a hit. Where as with F-Class it is all static and more about trigger control.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    photoracer, you can see I put a B&C on my Savage 10fp in the pic above. To tell you the truth, I regret not getting the fully adjustable one. It's twice as much, but I had to put the kydex cheek pad on, and I am having to extend the butt out quite a bit. The standard stock is really short and removing the butt pad was a PITA.
    Looks like you could have pushed the scope farther down if it was an eye relief issue.
    Finshed my rifle for now and so far I have about $825 into it since some stuff I already had.
    Howa 1500 20" Varmint fluted bull barrel, Hogue stock .308 Win $650
    EGW 20 MOA offset rail $40
    BSA Mil-Mil MRAD SF FFR 4-14x44 Tactical scope Free
    LSI mag conversion, 1-10 and 1-5 round mags $120
    Winchester bipod Free
    Shooting mat Free.

I will look at getting a better scope and stock down the road but this scope did really well at the PNTC Precision/Tactical match last April on my Stag 3G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom