• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    Went hiking in the state park this past weekend and got to part of a trail that was over grown, not wanting to push through the brush I turned back and went down another trail. My question is...is it frowned upon to bring a machete or a bush knife to cut through said brush so I could continue to enjoy the trails?
    I looked on the website and cant find anything on it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    While I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon....it may not be for an actual trail. I have a good friend who is the Park Ranger for Sandy Point (and before that Patapsco). I'll pose the question

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    I frequent the McKeldin area and they generally keep the trails clear and maintained. Although they do change the trail paths occasionally, maybe you missed a turn and ended up on a dead end part of trail?

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    If you go chopping through the brush at a state park with a machete or a brush knife you can almost guarantee a citation or worse.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Pocket size clippers may be easier to carry... not as fun, but safer all around. It's funny that I was in Patapsco today and saw a guy with small clippers cutting back briars sticking out in the trail.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Even a good pocket knife would probably help and would be more discreet.

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    In the past the park was pretty good about people trimming back overgrown trails. I think the best thing to do is to make sure you are on an official trail and not a trail the park service doesn't recognize or has shut down. Then check with the park people to see if the have any objection to you doing some trimming. The park has had a problem with some invasive plant species and with a limited budget they just can't keep up. The might just welcome your offer to help.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    It has been years since I have been in Patapsco State Park but I remember deer trails all thru the place. Not official trails but deer paths.

I wonder if you happened upon a deer path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom