• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    use the the barrel as a small slap hammer to tap the bushing out of the barrel. The bushing gets tirned clockwise to remove the dpring plug and recoil spring. Then turn completely counter clockwise the move just a tiny bit to get the bushing lug off the slide bore. Then ‘tap hanmer’ the bushing out eith the barrel.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    If you like Para handguns, I got a couple for sale in the classifieds.

6f151847285f22ab46856f267a3a80ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    use the the barrel as a small slap hammer to tap the bushing out of the barrel. The bushing gets tirned clockwise to remove the dpring plug and recoil spring. Then turn completely counter clockwise the move just a tiny bit to get the bushing lug off the slide bore. Then ‘tap hanmer’ the bushing out eith the barrel.

I was going to message back, but eventually, I figured out what you meant. Finally got the P14 taken apart and cleaned up. Thanks for your help as I take my first steps down the 1911 rabbit hole.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions so far. I've realized that I have a more urgent issue...who makes the best mags for Paras? A few sources I've Googled suggest that the factory 14-round mags are not so good. Should I get MecGar or another brand instead?

I have had several Paras over the years and still own a few. They are great pistols. The weakest link in any firearm is it's magazine. This is especially true for Para Ordnance magazines. If your factory mags work for you, great! All of mine were horrible. They had soft plastic followers that wouldn't hold the slide back, feeding issues, cheap flimsy clip style base plates. Just awful.

The good news is MecGar makes fantastic magazines. I would trust my life to MecGar. Sig Sauer's (among other companies) factory magazines are made by MecGar and then stamped with Sig labeling.

Thoroughly test whatever magazines the Para came with and if they don't work 100%, run over them with a truck and buy MecGar replacements.

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I have had several Paras over the years and still own a few. They are great pistols. The weakest link in any firearm is it's magazine. This is especially true for Para Ordnance magazines. If your factory mags work for you, great! All of mine were horrible. They had soft plastic followers that wouldn't hold the slide back, feeding issues, cheap flimsy clip style base plates. Just awful.

The good news is MecGar makes fantastic magazines. I would trust my life to MecGar. Sig Sauer's (among other companies) factory magazines are made by MecGar and then stamped with Sig labeling.

Thoroughly test whatever magazines the Para came with and if they don't work 100%, run over them with a truck and buy MecGar replacements.

I’ll scond Mecgar mags for paras…all mne have worked.

So I've since moved to MD since I wrote that post, but before I moved, I purchased four more 14-shot mags, all of which were factory. Didn't have a chance to get any Mec-Gars yet, but maybe I'll ask my folks (who live in NC) to get me some.

The factory mags worked fine for me when I fired the gun in August. My one annoyance with them is the fact that they don't have any markings for rounds/capacity, so one has to count the rounds mentally - it's not what I'm used to with Glock mags, for instance. Otherwise, no feed issues or any other problems.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a few of the Mecgar mags for my P16-40. They only hold 15 rounds, and they fit super snug so you can't put extensions on them. It won't matter to most of you, but they're just Barney mags for me now.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I just won a stainless Para Ordnance P14 in a GunBroker auction. Looks like this is going to be my Christmas present to myself, and also my last handgun purchase before I move to Maryland. Aside from buying 14-round mags (because I can't buy them in MD, and there wouldn't be a reason for me to have a P14 if I didn't have its regular-capacity mags), I'm looking to crowdsource suggestions for the following upgrades that I'd like to make:

- Adjustable sights
    - Ambi safety
    - Grips

Anyone else own a Para and have suggestions for these?
    I have a P-12, and one mod I did that I Love is the beavertail grip safety. I went with a drop in. Required no fitting. Made it more comfortable. I also put an extended slide release, and tactical safety on it. My auto hammer fired pistols I tend to use the safety as a thumb rest after I disengage it. The Para thumb safety wasn't comfortable to me. Being right-handed, I just did a single sided safety.

And hold off a little about the HQL...that just might be going away.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Something I did to my P14-45 is I converted it to P9-18. With mag extensions I can get 21 rounds in a mag. With new springs its a little finicky over 19 rounds so I just limit loading mags to 19 rounds. Definitely an econo conversion. RIA barrel and slide. Fitted barrel, bushing, extractor.

It is a standard Para pustol so I fitted a Wilson beavertail “drop-in” for Commander…just to see how it would work out. I was a full fit job. I did this knowing I might have to fit a standard .250” or .220” radius gs. Used it in a few matches welhete round counts were high. Great ergonomics but the top of the beavertail to frame interface aesthetics leave something to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom