• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I'm thinking of buying a P38 with my C&R...always liked the looks of this handgun but other than that don't know much about them. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/opinion to share about this weapon? thanks, snake

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    +1 to what squaregrouper says. Do Not shoot high powered 9mm loads in a P38, it will damage the firearm. I have seen the extractors and firing pin covers break due to the use of improper loads. Other than that great shooting pistols. For shooting purposes, I would just find a P1, for collectablility get a nice WW2 P38, preferably one without import markings that is matching. Heck I would even get both.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Jezz what a loaded question. Short version, developed in the 1930's to replace the P08 Luger in Germany, Walther developed the first double action service pistol. Just in time for WWII it was first made at Walther (AC marked) then Mauser (BYF and later SVW) and Spreewerke (CYQ). After the war W Germany developed the P38 with an alloy frame the P1.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I'm thinking of buying a P38 with my C&R...always liked the looks of this handgun but other than that don't know much about them. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/opinion to share about this weapon? thanks, snake

Picked up a P-38 couple months back and a second real P-38 mag at nations gun show for $25 couple weeks later. Their are good shooters as good if not better then my M&P9. Brake down and cleaning a bit more work but not bad after a couple times.

Take a look at these web site lots of info
    http://www.p38guns.com/
    http://www.ww2museum.eu/WaltherP38.htm

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I only have 1 its a matching bringback. Picked it off GB a few years ago for the price of a shooter because of bad auction pics but it is to nice to shoot regularly. Would like to get another one for shooting.

Last edited:

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Jezz what a loaded question. Short version, developed in the 1930's to replace the P08 Luger in Germany, Walther developed the first double action service pistol. Just in time for WWII it was first made at Walther (AC marked) then Mauser (BYF and later SVW) and Spreewerke (CYQ). After the war W Germany developed the P38 with an alloy frame the P1.

Agree! More to the P38/P1 issue than one is WWII the other post. P38s were produced post WWII as well and had aluminum frames. For the years of production and variants see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P38.

Just remember, you could find a post WWII still labeled P38 and it is not worth anywhere near what a WWII model is.

Have a '64 P1 that I love! Extremely accurate handgun.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Try this site first for market pricing on the many variations of the P-38. He's got pricing listed at the 90 point level but I think it's a bit dated and would say those prices are more reflective of 80 points today.
    For newbies the P-38 isn't as daunting or bank account challenged as the world of Lugers or Broomhandles but prices of good examples have climbed significantly in recent years so they're not as accessible to collectors with limited financial resources. Budget at least $750 for a decent matching entry level example. Rarer and better condition P-38s will easily top $1000 these days.
    When the P1s dry up in the surplus market expect secondary market baseline prices for them to jump to $500 or more, just like with the Manurhin PPs. If you ever wanted just a shooter then jump on a P1 now.
    If you're more interested in a collector grade P-38 then start doing your homework getting educated on the subject. Don't bother with Russian capture pieces, refinished or mismatched examples as good matching bring backs are still readily available. One thing I do is bookmark many listings and auctions to see what the current market valuation is for an item I'm interested in. Helps guide me in bidding or negotiations. It will pay off handsomely in the end.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Are you looking for a collectible or shooter?

My first C & R purchase was a P1; my C & R philosophy is for shooters and history more than collectibles, so I went with a P1 over a P38 which are more $$

You'll find either one to be a well-designed, beautiful gun, a great shooter with some history behind it, and readily-available parts.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I bought one of the police trade in guns back in the '80s when the German cops were switching to H&Ks. It is a real historical firearm, one of the first double action 9mm military pistols. But it is not as nice as a Hi-Power as far as shooting goes. Sometimes the trigger can pinch your finger. It's got the alloy frame. If you want a collector, go for the wartime P38. Most of the old police models are technically designated P1, although they are the same mechanically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom