Opinions on Rugged Obsidian 9 & SilencerCo Sparrow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The Obsidian is supposed to be good with a .300 blackout. Or so I’ve heard. I plan on doing a SBR upper that’s 300. Blk

Yeah, I remember having cycling issues with a lot of stuff under 900fps, in my mk III.

I will be sure to get some of the good stuff when it’s time. Can’t wait!
    Faxon makes a awesome 10.5 inch match series barrel in 300BLK that won't break the bank. If you're planning a 300BLK SBR, I'd get a dedicated rifle can for it. Supers and subs are a trip with a dedicated rifle can.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    It's only rated for subs in 300 BLK. I don't know about you, but as someone who owns and regularly shoots a 300 BLK SBR, I shoot a fair bit of supers through it for cost reasons. It's your money, but if I wanted a rifle can, I'd buy a rifle can.

Faxon makes an awesome 10.5 inch match series barrel in 300BLK that won't break the bank. If you're planning a 300BLK SBR, I'd get a dedicated rifle can for it. Supers and subs are a trip with a dedicated rifle can.
    Damn! I see what you mean! Pretty expensive stuff. Guess I won’t be shooting suppressed, as much as I would like. I forgot how expensive this hobby is

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Damn! I see what you mean! Pretty expensive stuff. Guess I won’t be shooting suppressed, as much as I would like. I forgot how expensive this hobby is
    Yes. Wait until you get into stuff like shooting with night vision, which is a whole other ballgame cost-wise.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'm new to suppressors and just got the Rugged Mustang for my .22's. Very quiet. About as loud as my CO2 BB gun. Now I'm curious as to how loud a suppressor for a 9mm or 45 would be. Is there a dramatic difference like there is with a .22?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Faxon makes a awesome 10.5 inch match series barrel in 300BLK that won't break the bank. If you're planning a 300BLK SBR, I'd get a dedicated rifle can for it. Supers and subs are a trip with a dedicated rifle can
    Definitely. 300subs can be pretty hot compared to handgun rounds, and pistol cans can have really long minimum barrel length requirements, or can get stupid hot pretty quick. I have a few rifle and pistol cans, almost always the 1.5" rifle cans sound better than 1.375" pistol cans even with subs. I LOVE my SiCo 36M, sounds every bit as good as my rifle cans around the same size, but the 9mm bore, 338LM rating, and modularity IMO make it the ultimate AR can. Like the Obsidian, it can be configured as a 5" K or 7" full sized can, uses charlie mounts and caps, really similar to the Saker series. On gas guns the large bore has mild backpressure, especially in K config on 5.56. It's REALLY good on 300BO in long config, competitive with the Nomad and Omega 300.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Eeh, maybe I’ll just convert one to a Car 9, lol
    The best and worst thing you can do is to get a versatile can. I started out with an Optimus 9, it made me love shooting suppressed, and made me aware of the fact EVERY can has benefits and shortcomings, only way around them is to buy more. My AR9 SBRs are fun as hell, I use my subsonic 124gr match loads, and they are pretty quiet, although blowback ARs have a lot of port pop(gas and noise coming out of the ejection port). The fact you can shoot them on handgun ranges and at steel close in makes them one of the most fun to shoot while being affordable. 300BO subs are fun too, can easily reach out a couple hundred yards, but far more expensive, a little louder, and usually can't shoot indoors or on pistol ranges. Also a small 22 SBR IMO is absolutely the most fun suppressed shooting you can have, really quiet and can shoot most anywhere.

This is my boy with a 4.5" AR22 and DA mask and me with an AR9 SBR through a Griffin Optimus. Loudest thing is the steel getting hit, and the sucking sound of my wallet with 32 rounds of 9mm dumping out in a couple seconds.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I just paid for the above suppressors. I have never shot, let alone owned a suppressor. I’m just wondering if I’ve made good selections.
    The Sparrow is for a Mk IV Ruger lite and a 10/22. The other will be for one of my Glocks and, a yet to be purchased, .300 Blk. upper. I’m mainly looking for opinions based upon experience, as I have none.
    I paid $294 for the Sparrow, and $611 for the Obsidian. Prices do not include the tax stamp, or the single shot trusts. Thanks!
    I have the sparrow and love it on my .22 and .22 mag rifle. In my regular .22 with standard CCI ammo it is whisper quiet.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    The Obsidian is a great suppressor. A Car 9 is not a bad way to roll, same with a rifle can. Either way, enjoy.
    I’m glad, cuz that’s which route I took, lol.
    The best and worst thing you can do is to get a versatile can. I started out with an Optimus 9, it made me love shooting suppressed, and made me aware of the fact EVERY can has benefits and shortcomings, only way around them is to buy more. My AR9 SBRs are fun as hell, I use my subsonic 124gr match loads, and they are pretty quiet, although blowback ARs have a lot of port pop(gas and noise coming out of the ejection port). The fact you can shoot them on handgun ranges and at steel close in makes them one of the most fun to shoot while being affordable. 300BO subs are fun too, can easily reach out a couple hundred yards, but far more expensive, a little louder, and usually can't shoot indoors or on pistol ranges. Also a small 22 SBR IMO is absolutely the most fun suppressed shooting you can have, really quiet and can shoot most anywhere.

This is my boy with a 4.5" AR22 and DA mask and me with an AR9 SBR through a Griffin Optimus. Loudest thing is the steel getting hit, and the sucking sound of my wallet with 32 rounds of 9mm dumping out in a couple seconds.

That’s awesome! I ended up going with this:
    B43EB51B-E2EC-4220-B160-8FE9229235F1.png

I have the sparrow and love it on my .22 and .22 mag rifle. In my regular .22 with standard CCI ammo it is whisper quiet.
    Cool! I can’t wait!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I too have a Rugged Obsidian 9 and it is great. The OP will really like it when it finally arrives.

Cal68

I love my Obsidian 9 on my CMMG Banshee but, even in its smaller configuration, it is a little too heavy for an Sig P365. It feels good on a S&W M&PC though.
    Thanks fellas! Waiting on the ATF, for the Obsidian. Everything on my end, is GTG!

Side note, my form 1 was approved today. I certified it on 2/23, ATF approved 3/9: about 16 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom