Opinions on Rugged Obsidian 9 & SilencerCo Sparrow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have no opinion on the Obsidian 9, but I do have thoughts on the Sparrow.

The Sparrow is a good can that is really good for the size. Out of my RPR with subs, all you hear is "click..........thwack" when shooting it. With supers out of a Mk IV 22/45 Lite it is about as loud as a CO2 paintball marker, gassed to 300 fps. With supers out of a bolt gun, you hear the supersonic crack more than anything.

Cleaning the Sparrow is easy due to the monocore design. It also breaks down really easily when fouled.
    Another great comment! I think all of my .22 ammo, is the Thunderbolt by Remington, so knowing supersonic ammo is still so quiet is awesome

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Another great comment! I think all of my .22 ammo, is the Thunderbolt by Remington, so knowing supersonic ammo is still so quiet is awesome
    I would not use thundercrap with the suppressors. That stuff is really dirty and will junk them up quickly. Will also foul the hosts. I had a MP compact get so dirty in a couple hundred rounds of thundercrap, it would not cycle. Had to strip it down. It was filthy. After 2 sessions like that I gave away a couple thousand rounds. Didn’t want it around.

Start to look for better quality ammo. You will be much happier. My go to is cci SV and suppressor. Gemtech (if you can find it) is an excellent sub round for 22s.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I would not use thundercrap with the suppressors. That stuff is really dirty and will junk them up quickly. Will also foul the hosts. I had a MP compact get so dirty in a couple hundred rounds of thundercrap, it would not cycle. Had to strip it down. It was filthy. After 2 sessions like that I gave away a couple thousand rounds. Didn’t want it around.

Start to look for better quality ammo. You will be much happier. My go to is cci SV and suppressor. Gemtech (if you can find it) is an excellent sub round for 22s.
    Not saying you’re wrong, but, I’ve never noticed anything like what you’re describing. I have a pretty huge stash of it, from the 2013 panic buy. I’m going to buy a Ruger mk IV Lite, so breakdowns will be crazy simple. As a posed to my mk III. Also bought a threaded barrel for my 10/22. It’s pretty easy to clean as well. I am sure, however, that I will be buying some subsonic .22 as well. I’ll just have to see how loud this stuff is. The Sparrow, is supposedly extremely easy to clean. It will probably be a while before I truly know how right you are, though, lol

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Not saying you’re wrong, but, I’ve never noticed anything like what you’re describing. I have a pretty huge stash of it, from the 2013 panic buy. I’m going to buy a Ruger mk IV Lite, so breakdowns will be crazy simple. As a posed to my mk III. Also bought a threaded barrel for my 10/22. It’s pretty easy to clean as well. I am sure, however, that I will be buying some subsonic .22 as well. I’ll just have to see how loud this stuff is. The Sparrow, is supposedly extremely easy to clean. It will probably be a while before I truly know how right you are, though, lol
    Thunderbolts are insanely dirty compared to CCI. I'm currently at over 4k suppressed a Mk IV Lite with a mix of federal bulk and CCI quiets and CCI SV. I haven't cleaned it since before the 4k started and other than lubricating, it hasn't had any issues.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    To be fair, I’m of the school of clean and lube, after every session. So, I probably haven’t noticed how dirty the Thunderbolt ammo really is, because of how often I do

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is there an option for "skip both and buy a Switchback instead?"

The Sparrow is fine - I have one - but it's an older design. The Obsidian is a pistol caliber can, and I hate to say it, but pistol cans are range toys at best unless they're living full time on a PCC. Better to throw the money at a really good 22 can, IMHO.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    For what it's worth, my Obsidian 9 is just as quiet on my .22s as my CGS Hydra SS.

Of course, it's heavier and bulkier.

Both (Rugged and CGS) are easy to disassemble and clean.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Silly quiet on my MPX I had to laugh when I first heard it.
    I like breaking it down to the short version for the pistol in the house. My first can so I can't give a comparison.

2f9090c07cd1762eccd398c60a053c71.jpg

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Silly quiet on my MPX I had to laugh when I first heard it.
    I like breaking it down to the short version for the pistol in the house. My first can so I can't give a comparison.

2f9090c07cd1762eccd398c60a053c71.jpg

How quiet is it when shooting the short configuration from the kitchen?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thunderbolts are insanely dirty compared to CCI. I'm currently at over 4k suppressed a Mk IV Lite with a mix of federal bulk and CCI quiets and CCI SV. I haven't cleaned it since before the 4k started and other than lubricating, it hasn't had any issues.
    Thunderduds, not only are they filthy and misfire more than most, they have a huge velocity SD, 100FPS or more. Get a box of "subs", shoot out of a suppressed rifle, and it's "pff, pff, pop, crack, pff, crack, click". When I got into 22 cans, I went to CCI SV and subs, and won't buy anything else. They are more accurate, reliable, consistent velocity, cleaner, still affordable and available.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Most of the quiet or suppressor ammo will not reliable cycle semiautomatic actions.
    CCI quiet is only 700fps, it won't cycle anything without extensive modifications. The only reliable "quiet" is Gemtech Supressor Subsonic. It will cycle almost anything. It's pretty affordable at about .10rd.
    For plinking and fun, Standard Velocity ammo is already subsonic, usually 1080-1100fps. Occasionally you will get a sonic Crack out of a longer rifle barrel, especially with cheaper offerings. Never with better ammo.

Enjoy the new cans. They're a hoot

BTW, CCI quiet can be shot through a bolt gun and it is hearing safe at your ears. That's what it is good for. With a bolt gun and a can, you can hear the firing pin and then the target. Crazy

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You can actually see the CCI quiets dropping a distance. I have lobbed them to 100 yards... Fun hold over.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Most of the quiet or suppressor ammo will not reliable cycle semiautomatic actions.
    CCI quiet is only 700fps, it won't cycle anything without extensive modifications. The only reliable "quiet" is Gemtech Supressor Subsonic. It will cycle almost anything. It's pretty affordable at about .10rd.
    For plinking and fun, Standard Velocity ammo is already subsonic, usually 1080-1100fps. Occasionally you will get a sonic Crack out of a longer rifle barrel, especially with cheaper offerings. Never with better ammo.

BTW, CCI quiet can be shot through a bolt gun and it is hearing safe at your ears. That's what it is good for. With a bolt gun and a can, you can hear the firing pin and then the target. Crazy
    CCI makes a number of loads that are both subsonic and made to cycle a semi-auto. Some are lead round nose, some are copper plated HP:

1070FPS Standard Velocity
    1050FPS Segmented HP Subsonic
    1050FPS SubSonic 22LR
    970FPS Suppressor 22LR
    835FPS Quiet-22 Semi-Auto

I have personally used the 1070FPS SV, 970FPS Supressor 22LR, and 835FPS Quiet-22 Semi-Auto in my P322, Ruger Mark IV, and TCR22s without fail.

The 1070FPS Standard Velocity is most commonly available and is the cheapest. It is also deadly accurate in all the platforms I've tried it in.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Is there an option for "skip both and buy a Switchback instead?"

The Sparrow is fine - I have one - but it's an older design. The Obsidian is a pistol caliber can, and I hate to say it, but pistol cans are range toys at best unless they're living full time on a PCC. Better to throw the money at a really good 22 can, IMHO.
    The Obsidian is supposed to be good with a .300 blackout. Or so I’ve heard. I plan on doing a SBR upper that’s 300. Blk

Yeah, I remember having cycling issues with a lot of stuff under 900fps, in my mk III.
    CCI makes a number of loads that are both subsonic and made to cycle a semi-auto. Some are lead round nose, some are copper plated HP:

1070FPS Standard Velocity
    1050FPS Segmented HP Subsonic
    1050FPS SubSonic 22LR
    970FPS Suppressor 22LR
    835FPS Quiet-22 Semi-Auto

I have personally used the 1070FPS SV, 970FPS Supressor 22LR, and 835FPS Quiet-22 Semi-Auto in my P322, Ruger Mark IV, and TCR22s without fail.

The 1070FPS Standard Velocity is most commonly available and is the cheapest. It is also deadly accurate in all the platforms I've tried it in.
    I will be sure to get some of the good stuff when it’s time. Can’t wait!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Obsidian is supposed to be good with a .300 blackout. Or so I’ve heard. I plan on doing a SBR upper that’s 300. Blk

Yeah, I remember having cycling issues with a lot of stuff under 900fps, in my mk III.

I will be sure to get some of the good stuff when it’s time. Can’t wait!
    It's only rated for subs in 300 BLK. I don't know about you, but as someone who owns and regularly shoots a 300 BLK SBR, I shoot a fair bit of supers through it for cost reasons. It's your money, but if I wanted a rifle can, I'd buy a rifle can.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It's only rated for subs in 300 BLK. I don't know about you, but as someone who owns and regularly shoots a 300 BLK SBR, I shoot a fair bit of supers through it for cost reasons. It's your money, but if I wanted a rifle can, I'd buy a rifle can.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom