• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Hi Guys,

I'm wrapping up my book on Vietnam bring back weapons and have been trying to come up with a cool cover. I would greatly appreciate everyone's opinions on what I have so far. They still need some tweaking. A bring back Luger from an advisor is also in the book so I was thinking of placing it on a Vietnam red beret as another option. Thanks!

Attachments

• Book co1.jpg
      Book co1.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 595
    • Bookco2.jpg
      Bookco2.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 589
    • NAAM COVER1.jpg
      NAAM COVER1.jpg
      105.3 KB · Views: 593
    • Vietnam book cover.jpg
      Vietnam book cover.jpg
      100.4 KB · Views: 588
    • VN cover 1.jpg
      VN cover 1.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 582
    Jul 1, 2012
    the 2nd to last would be my first vote, or last pic of the field-made pistol in 2nd place.
    You don't want it too "busy".

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    The first one but the title on the wooden placard. It’s too hard to see the title on all of them.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Like the pics, and congrats on the pending book!!

Here's some quick input:

For the front cover, I'd suggest slightly modified versions of what you have, to improve readability and give more visual impact.

#1 (with shield)
    Move title to green space in upper left corner
    Move photo below title, in left upper middle
    Move shield to bottom right corner

or

#3 (stacked rifles)
    Reformat pic so that there's some empty space in the middle, for the title to sit alone, against the green.* (Something like three rifles, then enough green space so that the title can be superimposed, then the remaining five rifles)

Also, #4 (pistol and photo) would be a great back cover image

Jul 1, 2012
    Look at Ed Tinker's "Veteran Bring Backs" series for ideas, he uses a lot of accessories to accent the cover.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021

Here's some quick input:

For the front cover, I'd suggest slightly modified versions of what you have, to improve readability and give more visual impact.

#1 (with shield)

or

#3 (stacked rifles)
    Reformat pic so that there's some empty space in the middle, for the title to sit alone, against the green.* (Something like three rifles, then enough green space so that the title can be superimposed, then the remaining five rifles)

Really like your second suggestion with the title in the middle. I could put some bring back pistols on either side of the top of the title WAR TROPHIES. That will look interesting. I didn't really think about the back cover so something needs to go there!

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    I like the third one. The title meshes with the rifles — they are cool banged-up trophies. The only suggestion, if you can, increase the white border around the letters by a pixel or two.
    I’m sorry, I really hate the first two — the pics are really good, but the title is irritatingly hard to read. That usually turns me away from books when browsing in a store.

Could you try the same font you used in the third pic, on the first background?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hi Guys,

I'm wrapping up my book on Vietnam bring back weapons and have been trying to come up with a cool cover. I would greatly appreciate everyone's opinions on what I have so far. They still need some tweaking. A bring back Luger from an advisor is also in the book so I was thinking of placing it on a Vietnam red beret as another option. Thanks!
    I’d nix the one with the soldier’s picture, as a reader I’d expect the entire book or at least a significant portion of it to be about him specifically. Also, as others have said, I like the one with all the rifles stacked horizontally, but I’d go with a clean white background to make the rifle images standout. That off-color wrinkled thing is too distracting and takes away from the cool rifle images.

Also, the main title “War Trophies” should be a larger or different font than the subtitle “Bringback Weapons from Vietnam”. IMHO that’s how main titles and subtitles are typically represented, especially if this will be a continuing series, variants of the main theme “War Trophies”.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I’d nix the one with the soldier’s picture, as a reader I’d expect the entire book or at least a significant portion of it to be about him specifically. Also, as others have said, I like the one with all the rifles stacked horizontally, but I’d go with a clean white background to make the rifle images standout. That off-color wrinkled thing is too distracting and takes away from the cool rifle images.

Also, the main title “War Trophies” should be a larger or different font than the subtitle “Bringback Weapons from Vietnam”. IMHO that’s how main titles and subtitles are typically represented, especially if this will be a continuing series, variants of the main theme “War Trophies”.

Very good suggestions. I placed the rifles on a green salvage cover and I agree the wrinkles are distracting. I think white may be too plain but will try it and other colors. Thanks!

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Thanks guys all great suggestions and I appreciate it! I think I'm going to take the first two out of the mix. I'm leaning towards the rifles pic with some additional tweaks!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I also like the one with all the rifles, but no reason you can't include the "field expedient" pistol AND the Luger.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I honestly like the one with the multiple rifles. Shows a span of different firearms that will be in it. Just maybe find a way to open it up so the rifles down drown out the title.

Really cool idea for a book. Outstanding!

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.

Here's some quick input:

#1 (with shield)

or

#3 (stacked rifles)

My thoughts exactly,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom