• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    In market for a pistol. The one I want is currently available at 2 stores. New Mexico Gunshop and Dixie Gun Works.
    NMG is $20 cheaper. But I dont know them.
    I know of DGW.
    Could use an opinion. Newbie learning.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Do you mean new to black powder or new to shooting in general?
    Make sure you have a source for percussion caps, round balls and powder.
    Been shooting BP since mid 70. TC Hawken flint and Kentucky flint. New to percussion pistols. Flintlocks were so much simpler.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Been shooting BP since mid 70. TC Hawken flint and Kentucky flint. New to percussion pistols. Flintlocks were so much simpler.
    I have the Pietta Colt Navy .36. Love it. Definitely a tack driver with 20 grains (by volume) of Pyrodex P and a Hornady swagged .375 ball.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I won a Uberti Remington 1858 .36 in a gunbroker auction last night. Always wanted 1851 Navy .36. So intend to buy this week too. The Rem made in 1971, 52 yo never been fired. Mint. Prolly keep as display and use the Colt for firing. Hoping Saint can hook me up with all the stuff. Grew up in ohio near The Log Cabin in Lodi. What a place!

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    In market for a pistol. The one I want is currently available at 2 stores. New Mexico Gunshop and Dixie Gun Works.
    NMG is $20 cheaper. But I dont know them.
    I know of DGW.
    Could use an opinion. Newbie learning.

How much is it going to cost to get your gun from wherever your purchase it to Maryland?
    How much is it going to cost to transfer the pistol to you from the FFL in Maryland?

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    How much is it going to cost to get your gun from wherever your purchase it to Maryland?
    How much is it going to cost to transfer the pistol to you from the FFL in Maryland?
    Gun is black powder and doesn't require 77R, 4473, etc. Can be sent directly to the buyer at home. Not regulated at all.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Of those two shops, I’ve only bought from Dixie. While I have never had to return anything, from the muzzleloading forums they seem to be good about making any issues right.

The Colt 1851 Navy is my favorite by far compared to the Remington. The Remington is arguably more user friendly comparable to a modern revolver and better sights.

The 1851 Navy is just a beautiful pistol and balances like a dream.

With the Colt 1851 Navy it may be a little fiddly figuring out the wedge and removing the barrel.

The wedge only needs to be snug. No need to hammer it home with too much force.

To remove the barrel, line up the loading plunger in between the chambers and lever it off. To reinstall the barrel, line things up and push the parts together and then if needed, light taps with a soft face mallet on the muzzle to seat it all the way. They can be snug when new.

I’m sure Saint can help you with all of that when you visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom