• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Hypothetically...

I have a pistol with sig brace and I bring it to the range. While there, someone else shoots it from their shoulder.

Which one of us broke the law?

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    I'm confused - as far as I can tell, there is no law on the books or being considered to be made into law (yet) that addresses the brace issue.
    The ATF has issued an opinion to one specific individual - didn't know that this letter replaced the legislative process for the creation/passing of laws by our elected officials.
    Again, what current law are you breaking if shouldering a pistol with a sig brace on it? What would you be arrested for? Generally the police/enforcement agency have to cite specific laws you've broken that created the need for your arrest. I didn't think you could be arrested for not adhering to someone's opinion?
    Will a Thordsen custom buffer tube cover fall under the same scrutiny? What if I just take the stock off and put the naked buffer tube to my shoulder and fire the weapon?
    Just asking...

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I'm confused - as far as I can tell, there is no law on the books or being considered to be made into law (yet) that addresses the brace issue.
    The ATF has issued an opinion to one specific individual - didn't know that this letter replaced the legislative process for the creation/passing of laws by our elected officials.
    Again, what current law are you breaking if shouldering a pistol with a sig brace on it? What would you be arrested for? Generally the police/enforcement agency have to cite specific laws you've broken that created the need for your arrest. I didn't think you could be arrested for not adhering to someone's opinion?
    Will a Thordsen custom buffer tube cover fall under the same scrutiny? What if I just take the stock off and put the naked buffer tube to my shoulder and fire the weapon?
    Just asking...

the ATF clearly states "stabilizing braces".... the thordsen product is classified/marketed as a cheek rest, so the letter would not apply to those

i just wish this crap would be taken to court so us gun owners would actually know if we are breaking a law or not:mad54:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    2nd amendment, whats that? Why cant we just sue, sue, sue until we get a win on the BS? Eventually the supreme court will have to take a case that decides this issue.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I went to this youtube video channel and this Sig Brace issue was clearly explained and that the interpretation of the letter was incorrect and this is a scare tactic...and I sort of agree with the video...JMO basically what I got from it is if you "voluntarily" submit to the NFA you intend to use the Brace as a Shoulder Device and Pay the Tax you are then subject to the Law...JMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2rOZhd73g

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I think I get it.
    If I dig a hole with an AR, I've "remanufactured" it as a shovel.
    If I paddle a canoe with an AR, I've "remanufactured" it as an oar.
    If I attach the muzzle to a KitchenAid mixer and beat a mixture of flour, water, eggs and sugar with an AR, I've "remanufactured" it as a cake batter beater.
    And if I place an AR/Sig brace to my shoulder, I've "remanufactured" it as an SBR....unless, of course, I'm also swatting flies with my "remanufactured" fly-swatter.;)
    Makes sense.
    Who knew an AR was such a Transformer?

In all seriousness.... C'mon guys (ATF). In all of my conversations with you, you've been pretty reasonable, but this stuff really is over the top.

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I went to this youtube video channel and this Sig Brace issue was clearly explained and that the interpretation of the letter was incorrect and this is a scare tactic...and I sort of agree with the video...JMO basically what I got from it is if you "voluntarily" submit to the NFA you intend to use the Brace as a Shoulder Device and Pay the Tax you are then subject to the Law...JMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2rOZhd73g

I do believe that is one letter out of date at this point. That is dealing with the second to last letter on the subject. The ATF moved on from this to make it what every thought this one said at first.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Not to open another can of worms, but how does an 11.5 pound firearm get classified as a pistol...that is, a firearm designed to be fired with one hand? No one can, or should, fire a CAI Centurion C39 "pistol" holding only the grip. Even using a properly adjusted single point sling for added stability, you need your other hand forward on it. Well, at least I do.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Not to open another can of worms, but how does an 11.5 pound firearm get classified as a pistol...that is, a firearm designed to be fired with one hand? No one can, or should, fire a CAI Centurion C39 "pistol" holding only the grip. Even using a properly adjusted single point sling for added stability, you need your other hand forward on it. Well, at least I do.

You Didn't...:gun2:[ Weight has nothing to do with it ...its length and Barrel Size...and generally you fire a pistol/handgun with two hands for better control, though yes a Handgun was basically designed for one hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom