• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You definitely need to practice dealing with failures but having one already in the chamber is always going to be faster than not having one and having to draw and chamber for any given person. You can try to spin it anyway you want but Israeli carry is an unnecessary handicap. The fastest person deploying his/her pistol using the Israeli carry method will still be faster if they already have a round chambered. (Until their training scar kicks in and they still rack the slide out of habit ejecting an already chambered round for no reason.)
    All I have to say is Israeli Air Marshals don't "Israeli carry". Because it's dumb.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Thoughts. Do you carry 1 in the chamber. Pros, cons.
    Pros: The heroes in Hollywood NEVER carry one in the chamber (not counting Alec Baldwin). They dialogue with the bad guy for at least 5 minutes at point blank range. When the bad guy says something that makes the hero mad, THEN and only then do they chamber a round. It just seems so much cooler that way, especially when it's a pump shotgun ;-)

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Carrying with an empty chamber is better than not carrying at all, but carrying with a round in the chamber is better than carrying without a round in the chamber.

In the extremely statistically unlikely chance that you need to use a firearm in self defense, it is likely that you will need it RIGHT NOW, not right after you have had sufficient time to chamber a round. There is loads of video evidence on YouTube of individuals who thought that they would have time to chamber a round who did not have time to chamber a round (or tried to chamber a round in a stressful situation failed to do so) and suffered the consequences. There is a reason that people who carry pistols as part of their profession carry with a round in the chamber.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Israelis were issued Browning Hi power with a hair trigger back in the days, to avoid unintentional discharge they trained with an empty chamber, and old habit die hard even when they retired the oldie/goodie 9mm. They were good even without one in the chamber! This is more of an equipment/bureaucratic issue.

Still, I think the guys on both side all have good points. You be you, make sure you train to be efficient with your carrying style.

Just don’t be the guy who carry empty chamber so one can “feel safe” to brandish, or draw to scare off and intimidate the threat. As a WC civilian, one should only deploy your firearm when all other options were exhausted and you had to defend yourself or love ones as your last line.

Hence my vote is one in the chamber, but each his own!

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    I carry a Glock all day everyday with one in the chamber appendix. In a Bravo concealment IWB holster. I feel safe with my set up. I trust my Glock and my holster. If my gun goes off, there’s a good chance it was from operator error.

Train, train and train. Never get complacent with your safe handling of a firearm. I think of my oldest son carrying his BB gun and how careful he is. I strive to maintain his level or professionalism in safe handling of a weapon.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    A good kydex holster with complete coverage of the trigger helps to ease the mind when carrying. Personally I don't see much point of carrying and having to rack the slide as you're addressing a threat. No thanks, I want it ready to go if I have to pull it.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    My dad refused to wear a seat belt for a long time because he was afraid of wrecking in water and being unable to get out.

Different strokes.

I know at least two handgun instructors that teach it, and carry that way.

whatever works. I am not saying its for me, i dont, but i also dont judge peoples choices.

Israeli carry>no carry any day.
    Many folks don't understand the root of how Israeli carry came about. It's rooted in training (compressed training that is). They leveraged condition 3 as a safety given the time constraints with training a wide swath and perpetually changing conscript force. The folks in other areas of 'security' are condition 1...to include law enforcement etc.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I was commenting on some guys EDC on Reddit. Dude lives in Lithuania

Arex Delta Gen 2, looked like a P80.

Spare mag full of FMJ, hollow points are not legal for private citizen carry.

Also not legally allowed rack one in a chamber, but can keep the loaded mag in the gun.

And has to tell the Police where the safe(s) are in his house.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I was commenting on some guys EDC on Reddit. Dude lives in Lithuania

Arex Delta Gen 2, looked like a P80.

Spare mag full of FMJ, hollow points are not legal for private citizen carry.

Also not legally allowed rack one in a chamber, but can keep the loaded mag in the gun.

And has to tell the Police where the safe(s) are in his house.

You sure that's not a Democrat run city?

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I was watching "Edge of Alaska" on Discovery+. One of the guys was trying to walk a bull calf back to his homestead through bear country as the bears were waking up. He seemed nervous and they kept talking about it (could be manufactured drama). He had some kind of .40 on a chest rig (Ruger, I think). He very carefully put in a loaded magazine and checked to make sure nothing was chambered, then headed out onto Bear Path (or whatever ominous name they called it), with one hand trying to control the baby bull. He sees a bear, slowly follows as that is the way to his home, loses track of it, and then in a dramatic moment states to the camera man that he has to load a round now. The big dramatic moment culminates moments before the cut to commercial with him firing at the bear. Afterward the commercial it appears he scared the beast away, but he states there is a long way to go to safety, so he UNCHAMBERS the next round and goes, once again, without one in the chamber.

My first thought was that he was more afraid of his gun than he was of the bear. I can't think of a single reason to not have one in the chamber, ESPECIALLY when there is an imminent threat about and one hand is busy trying to keep control of a cranky bull calf. My second thought was that if you can only carry one handgun, I'd choose one more appropriately sized for the intended threat. .40 seems a little small for a grizzly. Or Black bear. Or any bear larger than a Teddy Bear.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'll just say it again. Rack your unloaded pistol(with no mag) so it can fire. Now toss that baby around the house, carry it, throw it in a box with things in it, in and out of your pocket, etc.. Really jostle it around and see if it goes off. I bet it doesn't.

If you are not confident carrying a pistol the way it was meant to be, and in order to save the life of a family member, then you shouldn't be carrying it.
    When you're laying there bleeding out and someone else goes to get your pistol to make a shot on an active threat and they have this shit paperweight in their hand, well someone else will die too.

Carrying is not a game. Using lethal force is not a game. You NEED to be LETHAL. An empty chamber is not lethal.
    The seriousness of this apparently doesn't get driven into some people who do this.

Yeah. Mean ol' Blaster at it again.

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    I'll just say it again. Rack your unloaded pistol(with no mag) so it can fire. Now toss that baby around the house, carry it, throw it in a box with things in it, in and out of your pocket, etc.. Really jostle it around and see if it goes off. I bet it doesn't.

If you are not confident carrying a pistol the way it was meant to be, and in order to save the life of a family member, then you shouldn't be carrying it.
    When you're laying there bleeding out and someone else goes to get your pistol to make a shot on an active threat and they have this shit paperweight in their hand, well someone else will die too.

Carrying is not a game. Using lethal force is not a game. You NEED to be LETHAL. An empty chamber is not lethal.
    The seriousness of this apparently doesn't get driven into some people who do this.

Yeah. Mean ol' Blaster at it again.
    What he said. There's a reason they call the pistol that goes click instead of bang a dead man's gun. Or in modern times according to Urban Dictionary, "dead man's click" where the trigger of a gun is pulled but there is no ammunition in the chamber to be fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom