• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Dad had Ruger do the conversion on his Blackhawks (and he had a lot of them - all of them pre-1973) he later went and undid it - he didn't think it was as smooth and he didn't feel that it was necessary from a safety perspective - he did carry those as a police officer, but he probably left them on half-cock when he did it.
    Did he carry them with all six chambers loaded or did he do the load one, skip one, load four?

It is drop safe to carry them fully loaded with the hammer resting between rims.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes I know that, but from the I read the post it sounded like he has a New model because he said that it has a transfer bar.
    I have not seen an old converted Blackhawk with the half cock hammer position.
    To me it wasn't explained well, but that's on me not the OP.
    Maybe he meant to say loading notch when he said half cock?

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Lots of confusion in this thread. The OP has a 3-screw Old Model Blackhawk. The transfer bar just means it has been retrofitted with Ruger's safety conversion. Guns so equipped retain their half cock loading procedure; that doesn't change with the conversion. The video on page 1 is the disassembly video for a NM Blackhawk, not an OM like the OP has. Here is a correct one:
    This is why I try to stay out of technical threads where I know nothing or little about a subject; just adds confusion when trying to solve a problem.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Here is a question for the experts.

Before I go check my Superblackhawk which I know is a NEW style w/ transfer bar, if a new Blackhawk owner does do the half cock, will it still load the same as the old style? In other words, can it be loaded the new way AND the old way, or just the NEW way?

When ammo prices went so high, I had to stop shooting my 44 MAG due to high prices and ammo shortages.
    So, it has been forever since I went through the loading/unloading process. My GP100 sees way more shooting these days.
    Been awhile since I’ve shot mine too. IIRC you don’t have to half cock the new model. Just open loading gate add or subtract as needed. No cocking until ready to shoot.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Been awhile since I’ve shot mine too. IIRC you don’t have to half cock the new model. Just open loading gate add or subtract as needed. No cocking until ready to shoot.
    HAHA @Pale Ryder,

Believe it or not, I pulled it out a few minutes ago.
    I actually remembered, I HAVE NEVER fired this one.

I had a warranty repair issue with one, and had to send it to Ruger. This one is the replacement one they sent me.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Here is a question for the experts.

Before I go check my Superblackhawk which I know is a NEW style w/ transfer bar, if a new Blackhawk owner does do the half cock, will it still load the same as the old style? In other words, can it be loaded the new way AND the old way, or just the NEW way?

When ammo prices went so high, I had to stop shooting my 44 MAG due to high prices and ammo shortages.
    So, it has been forever since I went through the loading/unloading process. My GP100 sees way more shooting these days.
    No you have to open the loading gate to turn the cylinder.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    :D Time for a range trip.
    Way PAST time.

Last summer MRH, Blaster and I got together. Blaster did great at showing me how to shoot another gun I had never shot before. My one and only/first Glock. We weren't shooting for scores or trying to run each round through the same hole or anything. However, with his fine teaching, I got decent results with first shot on paper and rather fast ( for me) follow up shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom