• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Found this today when I was prepping some 223/5.56 cases. Colt headstamp and 3 flash holes. I sized and deprimed and it felt like the primer was crimped in so I proceeded to swage the pocket anh that's when I noticed the size difference in the primer pocket. Small on the left measured .170, Colt case measured .189, and the large in the 300 measured .205.
    I just find it odd that a manufacturer would have an oddball size like this, anybody know who makes the Colt head stamped 223 cases? This is the first I've ever ran acrossed one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 171

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I think you have punched the third hole believing Colt was boxer primed. I believe Colt is steel case.
    Also Berdan primers come in about 6 to 8 sizes whereas Boxer primers only come in 2 sizes.
    You are lucky your decapping pin did not break.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I think you have punched the third hole believing Colt was boxer primed. I believe Colt is steel case.
    Also Berdan primers come in about 6 to 8 sizes whereas Boxer primers only come in 2 sizes.

^this. All the colt I've seen is plated steel, berdan primed, eastern european manufacture. You depriming it may have punched the center hole.

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-223-ammo-223rem62grfmjac223acolt-500

You're probably right, but it must have been a pretty thin web in the case , it took a little more pressure on the handle, but not a bunch more.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Holy de-capping pins, Buffman!!!!!!!!!

That's a smooth move.

Are you going to get some Berdan primers and load 'em up??????

I'd love to see/read the accuracy results. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I actually moved this case to my universal decapping die when it seemed a little hard to deprime, but honestly I didn't press that much harder on it to get the spent primer out. Maybe I better go look at that pin, I might have broken or bent it.:o:D

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I saw something that reminded me of this thread. I was looking for some old cases to practice crimping with my new .38 special dies and came across some aluminum Blazer cases that I recently shot. Looking down in the case I saw Berdan primer holes but in the middle there is a thin aluminum strip over the center. I'm wondering if there is a primer hole in the center under that strip? If there is, my punch would go through that strip without much extra force.

Last edited:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Being aluminum, I'm not sure if I put the extra hole in the middle but the primer popped out without too much extra force. But if no hole was there, why is there a strip going across the center inside of the case?

P7040009.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You put the hole in the middle. In a Berdan primer case where the hole is now would normally be a projection that serves as an anvil for the firing pin to crush the priming compound against. Take a fired aluminum Blazer case and pry out the spent primer with a sharp punch and you can see the internal structure. This has a good illustration showing a cross section view of the two types of primer pockets:
    http://ammo.com/primer-type/berdan

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    You put the hole in the middle. In a Berdan primer case where the hole is now would normally be a projection that serves as an anvil for the firing pin to crush the priming compound against. Take a fired aluminum Blazer case and pry out the spent primer with a sharp punch and you can see the internal structure. This has a good illustration showing a cross section view of the two types of primer pockets:

Thanks, I'll try prying it out. It's too dark to take a picture inside of the case but I'm really curious about the reason for that metal strip. Maybe I will saw the head off and get a better look at it.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery

You are right, I put the hole in the case. The bar at the bottom is part of the case. Maybe extra support for the anvil?

P7040002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom