• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    These are factory loads, but I figured this was the best place to get experienced opinions.
    I bought 2 boxes of Winchester "Big Bore" 240gr SJHP 44 mag cartridges.
    Both boxes (40 rounds) have the same crimp mid span of the case.

Is this "normal"?? it appears to low to be any crimp that engages the actual projectile.
    Is going to hamper these cases for reloading?

DSCN4249.JPG

DSCN4255.JPG

DSCN4256.JPG

DSCN4257.JPG

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    I believe they are to keep the projectile from being forced back into the case if loaded into a tubular magazine. Or for some other reason get's pressure from the front of the projectile.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I believe they are to keep the projectile from being forced back into the case if loaded into a tubular magazine. Or for some other reason get's pressure from the front of the projectile.
    That makes sense,,,
    But then all my other 44m from other brands are unsafe in my Henry Lever gun ?
    (they have no similar crimp)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The word y'all are looking for is Cannelure .

Yes , it's an extra precaution against bullet setback .

Is it * needed * ? Not necessarily . Proper bullet size/ neck tension / crimp / may well be sufficient . A cannelure also is a belt And suspender approach .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The cannelure on a given load will be at a particular place , so as to be positioned just below the base of the bullet. For different bullets , it will be different placement.

The cliché is .38 split cases originally loaded with flush 148 wadcutters will be very noticeably lower , than a cade originally loaded with a conventional 158 , 125 , etc . What weight/ bullet is the .44 ammo in the OP'S pics ? 180 vs 240 vs 300 might be different. Also depends on the design and material of the bullet .

Reloading ? Once it's been fired and full length resized , the Cannelure will largely just be visual .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The cannelure on a given load will be at a particular place , so as to be positioned just below the base of the bullet. For different bullets , it will be different placement.

The cliché is .38 split cases originally loaded with flush 148 wadcutters will be very noticeably lower , than a cade originally loaded with a conventional 158 , 125 , etc . What weight/ bullet is the .44 ammo in the OP'S pics ? 180 vs 240 vs 300 might be different. Also depends on the design and material of the bullet .

Reloading ? Once it's been fired and full length resized , the Cannelure will largely just be visual .
    I just loaded 50 rounds of 240gr XTP. No way those are 180s. Could be 240s, but the cannelure is pretty far down there. I’d guess 300s.

*edit* well re-read OP and 240gr SJHP. That cannelure still looks awfully low for the length a 240gr .429 projectile is. Even a JHP one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Made me look !

Went to W-W website , the Big Bore load is indeed a 240gr in .44 mag .

The illustration ( not picture ) of cutaway view shows a really looong projectile. But dunno if supposedly to scale , or artistic license ?

Curiously, the actual Picture of the
    44 B-B shows a Non cannelure brass ?!? Holy " specifications subject to change without notice " .

If I had a box of that , I'd sacrifice one to the kinetic bullet puller to satisfy my curiosity now .

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The word y'all are looking for is Cannelure .

Yes , it's an extra precaution against bullet setback .

Is it * needed * ? Not necessarily . Proper bullet size/ neck tension / crimp / may well be sufficient . A cannelure also is a belt And suspender approach .
    You can’t civilize this savage with your fancy book learnin’!!!

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Nope, it's the manufacturer's way to identify different loads. A good example is if you compare 22 ammo you'll see lots of different cannelure markings on the cases to identify different loads like sub-sonic, CB cap long, high velocity. This is Winchester way to identify the Big Bore load, otherwise once out of the box there's no other way to identify them if the bullet styles are similar.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    i've had 2ea reloaded 9mm cases split along this "crimp" after firing them through 2 different rifles (JRC and Camp 9). i'm not sure how many times these range pick-up pieces of brass have been reloaded prior to me reloading them, but both split after firing and the bottom half ejected, but the top half got stuck in the chamber. i didn't know it happened until the next round would not chamber. i reload on the light side (ie, power factor = 125-130) with a 147gr or 165gr bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom