• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • landmarke

Mar 2, 2009
    What happens in a scenario where paperwork is filled out and you are still waiting on it to come back, and October 1st hits? Do you just need to get the paperwork in before the 1st, or if its not back by the first your purchase must be cancelled etc?

Secondly, can you fill out paperwork for two purchases at the same time? Say I want to buy a complete rifle and a stripped lower, how does that work? Same paper work, but double the waiting period?

Thanks and sorry, I'm sure this has been answered many times.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    From everything that I have read, you do not have to get the paperwork in before October 1, you just need a purchase order dated before October 1.

You can fill out paperwork on two regulated purchases at the same time but then you would have to wait 60 days before the next purchase, unless you are a designated collector.

BTW, Spike's Tactical A-15 lowers are backlogged 8-12 months and they are accepting new orders. I think that it would be a big FU to O'Malley to purchase a couple in the last week of September and transfer AR-15 lowers into Maryland a year after the ban.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    From everything that I have read, you do not have to get the paperwork in before October 1, you just need a purchase order dated before October 1.

You can fill out paperwork on two regulated purchases at the same time but then you would have to wait 60 days before the next purchase, unless you are a designated collector.

BTW, Spike's Tactical A-15 lowers are backlogged 8-12 months and they are accepting new orders. I think that it would be a big FU to O'Malley to purchase a couple in the last week of September and transfer AR-15 lowers into Maryland a year after the ban.

I'm not understanding this. If one makes a purchase before 10/01 and the gun is released to you after 10/01, do you have to get the license and the fingerprinting BS?

Big Moose

Apr 9, 2013
    Severn, MD

As far as multiple purchases, some interpret the law as allowing no time restraint between purchases but the 30/60 day wait would be between receipt of your regulated firearm.

Some interpret the law as the wait only existing between the dates of the submission of background checks.

Best bet is to ask your FFL how they are handling this.

Big Moose

Apr 9, 2013
    Severn, MD
    I'm not understanding this. If one makes a purchase before 10/01 and the gun is released to you after 10/01, do you have to get the license and the fingerprinting BS?

Purchases before 10/1 should be grandfathered in even if you do not receive the firearm until after 10/1. That's what the law seems to imply but then again, nothing about it seems perfectly black-and-white.

With the current wait time, there will be PLENTY of pre-October purchases that will not be received until after the 1st.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Purchases before 10/1 should be grandfathered in even if you do not receive the firearm until after 10/1. That's what the law seems to imply but then again, nothing about it seems perfectly black-and-white.

With the current wait time, there will be PLENTY of pre-October purchases that will not be received until after the 1st.

Thanks, I'm hoping that situation won't occur. I filled out ppwk on 04/22/13 and from what I read on this forum, I've got another two month to wait.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona

What Big Moose said is my understanding of SB281. If you have a purchase order dated before October 1, you own that firearm prior to the ban and it is grandfathered.

The license is to "purchase a firearm" but if it is purchased before October 1, one is not required.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Confusion abounds. I think the "official purchase order before 1 Oct" allowing later delivery applies to rifles, which will be banned thereafter. I remember Del. Simmons having a thousand hemorrhoids at the thought of citizens still being able to legally get their rifles when this came up for a vote on the house floor. I'm not sure if it will also apply to handguns received after 1 Oct not requiring the license if previously ordered. Someone smarter than me will have to figure out that one.

jettoblack

Jan 23, 2013
    Not a lawyer, but my understanding:

You can still take possession of a banned regulated long gun or "copycat" long gun after 10/1 if you have a verifiable purchase order dated prior to 10/1.

This provision does NOT change anything about the handgun qualification license needed to take possession of a handgun after 10/1. Even if your purchase order or paperwork is dated prior to 10/1, you would need the HQL to pick up a handgun on or after 10/1.

If you already own a MD regulated firearm prior to 10/1, you are exempt from the training requirements of the HQL. However you still have to pay the $50, submit fingerprints, and meet all the other requirements for the HQL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As far as multiple purchases, some interpret the law as allowing no time restraint between purchases but the 30/60 day wait would be between receipt of your regulated firearm.

Some interpret the law as the wait only existing between the dates of the submission of background checks.

Best bet is to ask your FFL how they are handling this.

MSP has stated (and has been reported on this forum MANY times) that you can submit paperwork as soon as you want. BUT, you can only pick up one regulated firearm each 30 days.

MSP will tell the FFL when they can release the firearm.

Some FFLs do not understand this and will not allow you to submit paperwork for 30 days, some for 30 days after you pick up.

In this case, consider a different FFL. Or just buy from multiple FFLs. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No one knows how the regulations will be written or how MSP will interpret them as to whether you will need the handgun license for a handgun purchased before Oct 1 but picked up after Oct 1.

The law is not that specific.

Feb 28, 2013
    MSP has stated (and has been reported on this forum MANY times) that you can submit paperwork as soon as you want. BUT, you can only pick up one regulated firearm each 30 days.

MSP will tell the FFL when they can release the firearm.

Some FFLs do not understand this and will not allow you to submit paperwork for 30 days, some for 30 days after you pick up.

In this case, consider a different FFL. Or just buy from multiple FFLs. :)

Well, I think a lot of them are just paranoid and are trying to CYA. In their position I can't much blame them. But it is their call to make.

Like you said, just by from multiple shops. It's then up to you though to watch your pickups to make sure you comply with the one-gun-a-month law.

I'll pick up one a month for the next three years if that's what it takes to get all my toys home.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom