• ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Please tell me you are not serious and are "just fooling about"
    I have the twig and berries, the wife has the thing that rules the world...

Viper385

Jan 17, 2018
    Excellent!

Please keep us posted….

Curious how did MDSP enter the picture
    I have attended bike week for many years (this year I did not). They often bring in a very large presence of MDSP and they often times stay at the FSK Hotel just outside of OC. I was actually staying there one year when I found this out and was definitely very surprised when I turned the corner to see more than 30 MDSP marked and unmarked vehicles filling the parking lot. Definitely made for an interesting weekend at that hotel.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    On Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022, I was in Ocean City, Maryland for O.C. Bike Week. While traveling north on Baltimore Ave. on my motorcycle, I noticed an O.C.P.D. officer on a side street. When I passed him, I noticed he pulled out behind me and attempted to catch up. I advised my friend that was riding next to me, at the next traffic light, as soon as we turn on to Ocean Hwy prepare to be stopped. As soon as we turned onto Ocean Hwy, the O.C.P.D. officer initiated a traffic stop. I stopped the vehicle and the command from behind was..." Driver... keep both hands on the handlebars." After complying with his command, the officer came toward and made contact with me. I advised him immediately that I have a valid Maryland Wear and Carry permit. He asked for my license and permit and I gave him permission to retrieve them from my right rear pocket. He looked at the permit and said he would be back. We both spoke at the same time, if memory serves correctly, and I said to him... "Are you calling the Gun Center?" as he was saying it to me. We were both on the same page. I noticed when he came back, his demeanor had changed for the better. I explained to him that Maryland issues a Wear and Carry permit and it is at the discretion of the permit holder the manor which the firearm would be carried, Open or Concealed. The officer responded that he believed me to be wrong. I said this is not the place to debate the issue, as by now, an armada of police vehicles operated by uniformed officers, as well as fully kitted tactical response officers and State Troopers had amassed behind me. I explained to him that Md. Code 4-203 and 5-307 are the sections governing carry permits and that is where he will find all the information that I had given him to be factual. He printed his phone number on an O.C.P.D. business card and asked me to call him and to forward this information so he could inform his department. I explained to him that the Bruen decision had eliminated the "Good and Substantial" reason needed for a permit and that a flood of applications, over 90,000, are at the Licensing Division of MSP. I told him that I am not going to be the last person he sees open carrying a firearm. The Corporal shook my hand and said he would appreciate that I cover it while in O.C. as the next officer that stops me may not be so cordial. The officer that initiated the traffic stop was absolutely professional and courteous.

Since returning home from my trip, I have contacted the Office of the Attorney General. The Assistant Attorney General assigned to Maryland State Police is still Mark Bowen. I have a call in to him and while speaking to the secretary, she advised that she was taking notes and was emailing him as we spoke. I explained to her that I would like to have an official interpretation, in writing, how Maryland defines "Wear and Carry" with respect to Open or Concealed. I am awaiting a call, or preferably an email, from A.A.G Bowen.

View attachment 380823
    By all accounts, well-mannered, and CORRECT. Thank you for representing us all in a positive light....

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Corporal Jenkins. Perfect gentleman. Told me that at the time of the traffic stop, the consensus amongst ALL officers on scene was that I was wrong. When they found me to be correct, they had an "Ah..." moment. He did not set by idly and wait for things to happen, he reached out to the A.A.G's office and found that I had already contacted them, and to the A.G. for Worcester County. He informed me that A.A.G. Bowen did, in fact, reach out to the Gun Center and correct them as to manner of carry. Corporal Jenkins told me he was amazed at the speed at which this is all taking place, that notices/bulletins are now going out Statewide to all the agencies throughout Maryland. I told him that A.G Brian Frosh, well-known anti-gunner, should have released bulletins immediately after the Bruen decision, as he knew there would be an onslaught of Wear and Carry applications and that Open Carry would become more prevailant than before. He also said that the broadcast on 102.9FM The Vault was probably due to a call from the Worcester County A.G. I told him that I reached out to OCPD Records to get copies of the body-worn camera and dash camera(if available) video,not as a tool for any type of litigation, but to make sure I didn't make an ass of myself and to spread the word on how one might handle a similar situation. He assured me that I handled the situation perfectly and he was sorry we had to meet under such circumstances, although, he was glad that we had the opportunity to meet to clarify some things, not only for his department, but for departments across the State.
    I told Corporal Jenkins that if/when we meet again, presumably under more favorable conditions, his beverage of choice is on me. He accepted my offer and told me to call him next time I'm down the ocean.

I spoke to Records this morning, and they are processing my request. Stay tuned.

Now carry on with the thread derailment.:)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Corporal Jenkins. Perfect gentleman. Told me that at the time of the traffic stop, the consensus amongst ALL officers on scene was that I was wrong. When they found me to be correct, they had an "Ah..." moment. He did not set by idly and wait for things to happen, he reached out to the A.A.G's office and found that I had already contacted them, and to the A.G. for Worcester County. He informed me that A.A.G. Bowen did, in fact, reach out to the Gun Center and correct them as to manner of carry. Corporal Jenkins told me he was amazed at the speed at which this is all taking place, that notices/bulletins are now going out Statewide to all the agencies throughout Maryland. I told him that A.G Brian Frosh, well-known anti-gunner, should have released bulletins immediately after the Bruen decision, as he knew there would be an onslaught of Wear and Carry applications and that Open Carry would become more prevailant than before. He also said that the broadcast on 102.9FM The Vault was probably due to a call from the Worcester County A.G. I told him that I reached out to OCPD Records to get copies of the body-worn camera and dash camera(if available) video,not as a tool for any type of litigation, but to make sure I didn't make an ass of myself and to spread the word on how one might handle a similar situation. He assured me that I handled the situation perfectly and he was sorry we had to meet under such circumstances, although, he was glad that we had the opportunity to meet to clarify some things, not only for his department, but for departments across the State.
    I told Corporal Jenkins that if/when we meet again, presumably under more favorable conditions, his beverage of choice is on me. He accepted my offer and told me to call him next time I'm down the ocean.

I spoke to Records this morning, and they are processing my request. Stay tuned.

Wow! He sounds like one of good ones.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Good update. I’d love to see that internal memo sent out to all LEOA’s regarding this matter.

Amazing this heads up was not sent out once Bruen was decided.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Not all heroes wear capes. Some wear badges. Kudos to the OCPD for being professional, and despite not believing you were correct, taking the time to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom