• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spank308

Jul 24, 2012
    On Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022, I was in Ocean City, Maryland for O.C. Bike Week. While traveling north on Baltimore Ave. on my motorcycle, I noticed an O.C.P.D. officer on a side street. When I passed him, I noticed he pulled out behind me and attempted to catch up. I advised my friend that was riding next to me, at the next traffic light, as soon as we turn on to Ocean Hwy prepare to be stopped. As soon as we turned onto Ocean Hwy, the O.C.P.D. officer initiated a traffic stop. I stopped the vehicle and the command from behind was..." Driver... keep both hands on the handlebars." After complying with his command, the officer came toward and made contact with me. I advised him immediately that I have a valid Maryland Wear and Carry permit. He asked for my license and permit and I gave him permission to retrieve them from my right rear pocket. He looked at the permit and said he would be back. We both spoke at the same time, if memory serves correctly, and I said to him... "Are you calling the Gun Center?" as he was saying it to me. We were both on the same page. I noticed when he came back, his demeanor had changed for the better. I explained to him that Maryland issues a Wear and Carry permit and it is at the discretion of the permit holder the manor which the firearm would be carried, Open or Concealed. The officer responded that he believed me to be wrong. I said this is not the place to debate the issue, as by now, an armada of police vehicles operated by uniformed officers, as well as fully kitted tactical response officers and State Troopers had amassed behind me. I explained to him that Md. Code 4-203 and 5-307 are the sections governing carry permits and that is where he will find all the information that I had given him to be factual. He printed his phone number on an O.C.P.D. business card and asked me to call him and to forward this information so he could inform his department. I explained to him that the Bruen decision had eliminated the "Good and Substantial" reason needed for a permit and that a flood of applications, over 90,000, are at the Licensing Division of MSP. I told him that I am not going to be the last person he sees open carrying a firearm. The Corporal shook my hand and said he would appreciate that I cover it while in O.C. as the next officer that stops me may not be so cordial. The officer that initiated the traffic stop was absolutely professional and courteous.

Since returning home from my trip, I have contacted the Office of the Attorney General. The Assistant Attorney General assigned to Maryland State Police is still Mark Bowen. I have a call in to him and while speaking to the secretary, she advised that she was taking notes and was emailing him as we spoke. I explained to her that I would like to have an official interpretation, in writing, how Maryland defines "Wear and Carry" with respect to Open or Concealed. I am awaiting a call, or preferably an email, from A.A.G Bowen.

View attachment 380823
    I’m glad it ended well. I’ve been open carry as permitted through out the country on my travels because I’m done being forced as a “closet carrier.“That being said,the corpals response is cover it because another officer may break the law and violate your constitutional rights. Really!!! The acceptance of this blows my mind.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I’m glad it ended well. I’ve been open carry as permitted through out the country on my travels because I’m done being forced as a “closet carrier.“That being said,the corpals response is cover it because another officer may break the law and violate your constitutional rights. Really!!! The acceptance of this blows my mind.
    exactly.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Just got a text from a friend that works in and around O.C./ Berlin/ Salisbury... 102.9 The Vault announced today that open or concealed carry is permissible with a Wear and Carry permit. No... I don't know anyone that works at the station... but they probably know me. :o:sarcasm::rolleyes:

Just sent this off to the station.

"My friend works @O.C. and heard on your station that open and concealed carry is ok in Md. Funny thing, I was stopped in O.C. on the 17th for open carrying on my Harley traveling up Baltimore Ave. It ended well and we parted amicably, but the officer insisted I was wrong and that he would appreciate me covering it while in O.C. Is there somewhere I can go to get a replay of that message. I am a member of a very popular gun forum and the members would appreciate that, at least, some media have got our backs. Thanks... Steve."

Last edited:

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    The keeper of records for OCPD was very nice and explained the very simple process. Stand by for further details.
    Love it. I’m not one of the it didn’t happen unless you show the footage.

I just love watching shit like that. Super educational or just funny. You should think about sending it into Audit The Audit on YouTube to see how he grades you. Lol

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The keeper of records for OCPD was very nice and explained the very simple process. Stand by for further details.
    Just me, not me as a cop...

I'd keep that footage to yourself until you decide if you're pursuing legal action. No reason to share it if you might want a lawyer to look at it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC there was no arrest. I think he was legally detained while the police conducted an investigation because of their lack of knowledge of MD gun law

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    2:30 am on the boardwalk shooting.
    You need to make your wife back you up on the beach?
    I see how tough it is out there now thanks for the eye opening link/information.

Well, if I can think of one adult out there who I know would back me up, it’s my wife lol.

She is always with child(s), and now a days it seems like more often then not is pregnant and with another little one on her or in the stroller, combined with my older kids running about. Once she delivers she will take her W&C.

It’s critical she can defend herself and my children when I’m not around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom