• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    6-3 written by thomas

The New York "proper cause" requirement violates the Constitution, Thomas explains, because it only allows public-carry licenses when an applicant shows a special need for self-defense.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    YES! Now where to begin? I need to figure out the sequence of hoops I need to jump through to get my permit. Classes, finger prints, etc. and of course the state police site crashed.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    They can make us jump through lot of hoops though.

In a concurring opinion joined by the chief, Justice Kavanaugh writes that today's ruling "does not prohibit States from imposing licensing requirements for carrying a handgun for self-defense." "In particular," he says, "the Court's decision does not affect the existing licensing regimes--known as 'shall-issue' regimes-- that are employed in 43 states."

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Safe to assume this will have NO effect on MD?
    We have the same requirement NY had. This case immediately applies to NY and 7 other states I believe. MD has to now allow ANY reason for a carry permit. That said, they can add some roadblocks but good and substantial is dead.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    The states, including New York, that had used proper cause requirements "may continue to require licenses for carrying handguns for self-defense so long as those States employ objective licensing requirements like those used by the 43 shall-issue States."

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    The states, including New York, that had used proper cause requirements "may continue to require licenses for carrying handguns for self-defense so long as those States employ objective licensing requirements like those used by the 43 shall-issue States."
    Where it will get nutty is, will these states now add more roadblocks? Increase training requirements, decrease length of permit, increase costs, etc. We will end up back in court over this at some point but we can cross that bridge when its time. As of today, we can get a damn permit finally! I would argue that the current requirements in Maryland constitute a poll tax as it costs several hundred dollars to apply for the permit and training but I feel like they may get away with that.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I remain optimistic but I'm not filling again until someone else goes through the process. I got burned the last time (I was one of the 365) and do not wish to add another denial to my record. Maybe a thread needs started for those who are now going to attempt the process?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I remain optimistic but I'm not filling again until someone else goes through the process. I got burned the last time (I was one of the 365) and do not wish to add another denial to my record. Maybe a thread needs started for those who are now going to attempt the process?
    This is SCOTUS. There is no going back. Mine will go out early next week.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I want this to be real. I'm going to be following this very close. What's next? Who will recognize MD permits?

***edited for punctuation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I want this to be real. I'm going to be following this very close. What's next? Who will recognize MD permits?

That’s all going to be sorted out. It’s going to take a while.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County

Good question. I wonder if anyone will recognize our permits. I want to be able to carry in Maryland, Delaware, VA and PA at a minimum. I would basically like the whole east coast from PA to Fl. Right now I think that means I need MD, Utah and one more. ugh. Research time.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I will be doing my paperwork over the next few days. So I will be one of those who find out.

As for what things they may change, thats why I will be doing it now. They can add loop holes and fees and such at a later date, but RIGHT NOW they are the same but with G&S not applying. Sure it may take doing the appeal. But getting the paperwork in and started before they can add to the rules makes sense to me.

As for reciprocal carry, I do see this making it harder. Now every state has to issue a carry permit, they are going to want their money for the permit and their databases. Why would PA start letting people with MD permits to carry when they can get their money. Also some states, aka NY NJ will make everyone get their state permit, just as leverage to stop people from carrying in other states. How, you get MD, PA and Va permits. step across the line to NJ, you get caught and charged. The penalty may carry more than a year, no more guns for you, in any state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good question. I wonder if anyone will recognize our permits. I want to be able to carry in Maryland, Delaware, VA and PA at a minimum. I would basically like the whole east coast from PA to Fl. Right now I think that means I need MD, Utah and one more. ugh. Research time.
    Give it time!!! Carry is now a fundamental right across the nation. Denying it is not an option. The decision came out an hour ago. It’s going to take a long time to sort out!

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Maybe I'll get started and get a head of the curve as well. I didn't think you could appeal anymore, I thought that board got disbanded.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom