• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Watch for this to surface from the Swamp next session...

Columnist admits push for mandatory gun insurance is about chilling exercise of 2A rights

...Generally gun control advocates are pretty careful to couch their prohibitionary policies in more moderate language; “We’re not opposed to the Second Amendment, we’re just calling for reasonable restrictions like _____.”

Every now and then, however, you get someone who’s either willing to let their real agenda slip out or accidentally reveals their true intentions. Such is the case with Los Angeles Times columnist Michael Hiltzik, who recently wrote in praise of San Jose, California’s requirement that legal gun owners carry liability insurance; a policy that’s set to take effect next month and is currently facing a court challenge.

In his column, Hiltzik first claims that San Jose’s new policy has a couple of goals; making legal gun owners “bear the cost of gun violence” as well as outsourcing “the regulation of gun safety to the private market, and to do so in ways that are immune to constitutional challenges.” That’s bad enough; after all, why should gun owners who haven’t committed a violent crime be any more financially responsible for the acts of violent criminals than anyone else? As for the idea that the private market will step in, I’d remind Hiltzik that insurance mandates are generally going to be handed down by politicians, not business owners, and they’re clearly subject to court challenge given the fact that San Jose’s insurance mandate is currently facing a lawsuit over its constitutionality...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I don’t see any way in hell that MD goes open carry only. Mommies would be fainting left and right, Karens would be coming out of the woodwork, screaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That could be the exact reason. "Blood in the streets"; "ladies screaming and children crying"; great footage for the evening news. But I'm just spitballing here - that could be too outlandish, even for the MGA...

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Exactly why so
    What is the course of fire? I am also looking into getting a NJ permit.
    – No holster needed
    – All shooting from the ready position
    – 50 rounds per firearm
    – FBI Q target
    – 24 rounds at 7 yards
    – 14 rounds at 10 yards
    – 6 rounds at 15 yards
    – 6 rounds at 25 yards
    For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Exactly why so

– No holster needed
    – All shooting from the ready position
    – 50 rounds per firearm
    – FBI Q target
    – 24 rounds at 7 yards
    – 14 rounds at 10 yards
    – 6 rounds at 15 yards
    – 6 rounds at 25 yards
    For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)
    They did accept my qualification of 50 rounds at 7 yards years ago. They may also try to pull the "training must be within 2 years" even though statutorily its not there.

When the state does maybe 1k civilian permits per year they just tend to do whatever they please.

I'm hoping my BIL applies soon. I'm curious what his local township will require.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Old news

Fixed now

Thank You to Mark Pennak, AND all those in MSI who broadcast this message. Please read...

Adding to that point, Pennak believes that people who are applying wear and carry gun permits in Maryland are "ordinary people who feel in danger" and have no interested in committing crimes.

"The people with carry permits nationwide are the safest most law-abiding and commit the least number of crimes on the planet. These people do not commit crimes. Maryland will still be able to do a very extensive, very intrusive background check on every individual who applies for a carry permit. They still have to demonstrate proficiency and the handling of a firearm," Pennak tells FOX 5. "This is not an impulsive system at all. These people are shown to be competent or law-abiding and have no records. These are people you can trust with firearms."

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    This is hilarious. You lambasted your friends for "running to Harford county", and then you moved out of state.

(Remember? You "lived it")

Either they were smart, or you ran.
    Yep, ran to the great free state of Florida from the wonderful paradise of Towson.

Hard to run when I didn’t even own a pistol or rifle while living in MD. Never saw one gun store in Baltimore County in my 30 years living there.

I didn’t become introduced to owning firearms and conceal carry UNTIL I moved to FL, my first day at my new company’s orientation (I’m in finance) in Tampa in 2010 the guy doing the orientation, at the end said “oh by the way I hold a CCW class the first Wednesday of every month”….THATS when I realized I was “not in Maryland” anymore.

I moved to FL in 2010, by 2011 I had a CCW permit and was carrying daily, owning multiple pistols and rifles. It’s a gun culture thing, literally everyone I met in FL from Blue Collar to White Collar owned and carried guns, including a lot of the females. It’s just normal here.

So I get what your saying, but to say “I ran” to a free state for gun rights is incorrect, growing up in MD I didn’t know anything about guns because I was never introduced to them……and that’s the larger issue, Marylands severe lack of gun culture.

The “lambasting” of people running for the hills though…that’s true. Literally every guy I went to HS with in Baltimore County in the mid90’s that posts on social media or I still communicate with lives in Harford, Cecil or Carrol County now. The smart ones live outside of MD and there is a good number of them too. Baltimore County is now Baltimore City lite……Harford is next

Last edited:

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Never saw one gun store in Baltimore County in my 30 years living there.

Must not have looked very hard. Continental is right off York Rd in Timonium, not far from Towson at all. The Gun Shop on Eastern Blvd in Essex. Duffy's. Gun Connection. Freestate. Maybe some weren't there when last you lived here; but I know for certain some were. I'm sure there are more, too, that I have no experience with. Heck, go back a little ways and WalMart was a gun store.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Moses got his first carry piece at Clyde's... or was that his shotgun...? :innocent0

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A federal court in New York awarded a gun rights advocacy group over $447,000 in attorney fees and costs after it won, before the U.S. Supreme Court, agreed with its claims that a state law preventing gun owners from carrying firearms outside their homes for self-defense violated their constitutional rights. The amount is reduced from the $1.2 million initial demand.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV

SCOTUS conference to be held on NYS gun laws​

Posted: Sep 26, 2023 / 10:15 PM EDT
    Updated: Sep 26, 2023 / 10:17 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (NEWS10) — The Supreme Court of the United States took action against New York State on the Concealed Carry Improvement Act. The act went into law in September, and it required several new steps in buying a gun in the state.

Changes include background checks being done by the New York State Police for both the purchase of a gun and ammunition. Those who opposed the new law said it is unconstitutional.

Tuesday, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas called for a full Supreme Court conference on October 6. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul reacted to the ruling.

“They are dead set on placating their NRA donors, supporters, and we are the ones left to clean it up,” she said. “We are working really hard to ensure that New Yorkers are safe.”

The governor also said that if the law is repealed, then New Yorkers will feel less safe in their homes and communities.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

WASHINGTON (NEWS10) — The Supreme Court of the United States took action against New York State on the Concealed Carry Improvement Act. The act went into law in September, and it required several new steps in buying a gun in the state.

Changes include background checks being done by the New York State Police for both the purchase of a gun and ammunition. Those who opposed the new law said it is unconstitutional.

Tuesday, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas called for a full Supreme Court conference on October 6. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul reacted to the ruling.

“They are dead set on placating their NRA donors, supporters, and we are the ones left to clean it up,” she said. “We are working really hard to ensure that New Yorkers are safe.”

The governor also said that if the law is repealed, then New Yorkers will feel less safe in their homes and communities.
    Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really want to see Thomas, Alito, and the rest of the Bruen Majority affirm in writing that the Constitution exists solely to define and limit the authorities of Government. And that it does not, in any way, confer rights to use the Government's coercive authorities for the purpose of enabling or preventing feelings.

Last edited:

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really want to see Thomas, Alito, and the rest of the Bruen Majority affirm in writing that the Constitution exists solely to define and limit the authorities of Government. And that it does not, in any way, confer rights to use the Government's coercive authorities for the purpose of enabling or preventing feelings.
    Wouldn’t that be something to behold.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

I'm confused, what case is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom