• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks, no worries here as I think we are winning a long fought battle. Reminds me of drinking beer with Heller and a few of you in Annapolis, I got him to sign my pocket Constitution that Mr Hulbert (RIP) gave me some weeks earlier. He would not sign the front but went right to the 2A page!

I wonder what Mr Hellers thoughts are these days.
    We'll have to ask him over the next beer won't we?

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Delaware honors FL permits if you are a Florida resident, been to their beaches carrying before ……and multiple other states as well, per resources I’ve seen. Being a DE resident can likely suck for gun laws but their reciprocity isn’t too bad considering.

That’s all I want from MD at this point, honor other states permits. It’s probably the simplest solution to your problems as residents as well.

Delaware also recognizes Texas, and Arizona, Utah, and Maine as well, all of which I have.

De, did pass a few more anti-gun laws. But in time those will fold quite neatly. The magazine ban, which is pointless if you have a concealed carry permit they recognize.

They also started a AWB, as well.

But give it a year or two, or possibly even less and those two laws will fold quite neatly.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Delaware also recognizes Texas, and Arizona, Utah, and Maine as well, all of which I have.
    Yep. Very interesting for that state and a good thing.

The reciprocity agreements are huge because…….establishing residency in a lot of states, especially Red/Purple states is not hard. Not suggesting anything irregular, just stating that their are options for people stuck behind the lines besides buying a residence in another state.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

The reciprocity agreements are huge because…….establishing residency in a lot of states, especially Red/Purple states is not hard. Not suggesting anything irregular, just stating that their are options for people stuck behind the lines besides buying a residence in another state.
    Don't even have to buy. 5 or 6 roomates on a lease works, too, as long at what's being leased is large enough to feasibly accommodate them. 6 people renting a 1 bedroom apartment might raise eyebrows and unwanted government attention (mostly from the MD Comptroller) if the address is used for tax purposes while you still have a house in MD.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes Sir. :thubsup I remember the 2009 emply holster rally in annapolis.!!
    Finally, WE will get to fill the holsters.
    Might not get to at a rally.

• (2) A person may not have a firearm in the person's possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:

That covers W&C to BTW, but does not apply to a LE officer. The missing piece after is the LE officer has to inform you. So it isn't insta-arrest/illegal. But protesting with guns is not going to be legal particularly soon in MD unless or until that gets struck down. So in theory, I guess unless LE gets on the bullhorn and tells everyone "this is a protest, please remove all firearms from within 1,000ft" or something to that effect, W&C holders could be carrying concealed under the radar.

Despite the Thomas opinion, I wouldn't be so quick to think that laws restricting the carrying of a firearm at a protest are prima facia unconstitutional (the carrying to dangerous weapons at protests has been banned sometime (not always) going back a LONG time in our history as a nation). It certainly has a much better chance of being considered okay by SCOTUS than "Time Square" or "Public Parks".

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Not sure if it was a waste of time, but relaxing none the less, I weeded out all the citations in the opinion so I can have the computer narrator read it to me. I grasp things a lot better by spoken word... me not being much of a reader(well... 'cept for MDS). Now I just need to figure out how to make the narrator narrate... :o

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Might not get to at a rally.

• (2) A person may not have a firearm in the person's possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:

That covers W&C to BTW, but does not apply to a LE officer. The missing piece after is the LE officer has to inform you. So it isn't insta-arrest/illegal. But protesting with guns is not going to be legal particularly soon in MD unless or until that gets struck down. So in theory, I guess unless LE gets on the bullhorn and tells everyone "this is a protest, please remove all firearms from within 1,000ft" or something to that effect, W&C holders could be carrying concealed under the radar.

Despite the Thomas opinion, I wouldn't be so quick to think that laws restricting the carrying of a firearm at a protest are prima facia unconstitutional (the carrying to dangerous weapons at protests has been banned sometime (not always) going back a LONG time in our history as a nation). It certainly has a much better chance of being considered okay by SCOTUS than "Time Square" or "Public Parks".
    Even leaving the whole excessive sensitive site argument aside, that law has potential for a court-imposed carveout for 2A-related protests on 1A grounds. If the carriage of the weapon is demonstrably a core part of the message, carry should be protected if the message isn't intended as a direct threat.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

Most states even NY, Oregon, Hawaii, California for example. Will allow you to get a permit, or at least allow you to apply if you own a business or home. All you need are various documents to prove one of the two things.

Yet some states for residency you have to get the states ID or DL, and have a address on that ID or DL in that state. That can present issues for some. Legality? Not something I propose though.

Since I travel often, it’s just easier for me to obtain a non-Resident LTC from wherever I can. I currently have 10, by the time I finish with previous May issue states I should have 15.

That will get me everywhere except Hawaii, New York, California And Oregon. Well except for two cities, D.C. and New York city.

D.C. Is kinda pointless unless you live there, own a business or have family you visit, simply because of lack of places to carry. Although there are two lawsuits currently in play that will change “sensitive locations”. However, for me still not worth it, even after They win both suits.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Don't even have to buy. 5 or 6 roomates on a lease works, too, as long at what's being leased is large enough to feasibly accommodate them. 6 people renting a 1 bedroom apartment might raise eyebrows and unwanted government attention (mostly from the MD Comptroller) if the address is used for tax purposes while you still have a house in MD.
    Or buying “stock” as a silent partner in a friends business works too.

I thought about that for New York, with a friend of 40+ years. Then NY goes and passes their new permit law. He received one for owning the business, so it would have been easy for me too. Yet now a bunch of new requirements beyond just good moral turpitude. Need 5 NY references and a ton of other BS.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Or buying “stock” as a silent partner in a friends business works too.
    Interesting thought. But how does that establish residency for permit purposes, unless the state in question generally allows for carry in a business? For example, MD only allows it if you are a "supervisory employee". Of course, that's only going to be relevant for a few more months until Call gets decided.

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Most states even NY, Oregon, Hawaii, California for example. Will allow you to get a permit, or at least allow you to apply if you own a business or home. All you need are various documents to prove one of the two things.

Yet some states for residency you have to get the states ID or DL, and have a address on that ID or DL in that state. That can present issues for some. Legality? Not something I propose though.

Since I travel often, it’s just easier for me to obtain a non-Resident LTC from wherever I can. I currently have 10, by the time I finish with previous May issue states I should have 15.

That will get me everywhere except Hawaii, New York, California And Oregon. Well except for two cities, D.C. and New York city.

D.C. Is kinda pointless unless you live there, own a business or have family you visit, simply because of lack of places to carry. Although there are two lawsuits currently in play that will change “sensitive locations”. However, for me still not worth it, even after They win both suits.
    Stoneman explained why he has the DC permit well I think. Take a wrong exit off 495 while carrying, end up in DC, get pulled over. It's more about protecting yourself then it is about the actual carrying in DC.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    ...Take a wrong exit off 495 while carrying, end up in DC, get pulled over. It's more about protecting yourself then it is about the actual carrying in DC.
    Woke up on the trip home from Florida... Bike Week... just in time to realize we were on the 14th St. bridge... told driver not to do anything stupid...

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Interesting thought. But how does that establish residency for permit purposes, unless the state in question generally allows for carry in a business? For example, MD only allows it if you are a "supervisory employee". Of course, that's only going to be relevant for a few more months until Call gets decided.
    Well in my opinion, establishing residency in a Red/Purple state is more of a hedge against AWB and things of that sort.

Doesn’t have to register his firearms.
    Can buy AK47’s and regular AR15’s
    Conceal carry obviously

I mean if you got a guy who owns or leases property or even just businesses in Maryland and Florida, and wants to protect his family and himself……..even if it’s just for home protection…..let alone carrying, I would surmise most would choose to have that Florida DL.

Hell I know of a husband/wife duo from a Northeastern state that leased an apartment for their college aged son in Orlando, they come to visit often and are now valid FL residents. They attend the same indoor pistol range I go to and were telling me of all the BS that their “previous home state” would require just to even purchase a pistol

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    Screenshot_20220705-103016_Chrome.jpg

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Thanks, no worries here as I think we are winning a long fought battle. Reminds me of drinking beer with Heller and a few of you in Annapolis, I got him to sign my pocket Constitution that Mr Hulbert (RIP) gave me some weeks earlier. He would not sign the front but went right to the 2A page!

I wonder what Mr Hellers thoughts are these days.
    I think I have a picture of that signing. It was a blurry picture so I never posted, that room was fairly dark.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I'd say that the five Conservative Justices are at extreme risk at this point in time.
    I think if something bad happened to any of them (including the left leaning ones) it may be an Archduke Ferdinand level event. My opinion.
    And the right was happy to attack peaceful civil rights protestors and burn down Black Wallstreet in Tulsa. Or storm the Capitol on 1/6/2021.
    Seriously, you're comparing those two events? "Apples vs. oranges" isn't even an appropriate saying for that, more like comparing apples vs. truck tires. Your TDS is showing.
    Maryland is the oddball state where the residents are already use to bowing down,
    Slow your roll dude. There is a BIG difference between "bowing down" and being "severely beaten down and getting back up for more". Try and guess which most of us here on this board are and kindly stow your steer dung.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

depends on the state. NY before the new permit law, and per a previous court case, said all you had to be was a part time resident or be owner of a business. Not hard to prove if your an LLC.

As far as “Supervisory employee” well if your an owner, that makes you a supervisor under every circumstance. And one does not have to be on location to “supervise” either. But also all depends on the business your in as well.

My friend owns a plumbing business. His business location is a wharehouse. Dispatch works from “home”, his plumbers all have a vehicle that parks at their own homes. They only go by the “wharehouse” for parts. They are ”dispatched” from There homes or location via the business cell phone. He works from home, mostly as well. Only has 2-3 employees at the wharehouse.

The point is most states will issue you their states “resident” license if you own/lease a home, or own a business. The way they look at it. Is if you have one or both in The state, your paying some form of state taxes, and that’s what everyone cares most about. Money being paid to the state.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Stoneman explained why he has the DC permit well I think. Take a wrong exit off 495 while carrying, end up in DC, get pulled over. It's more about protecting yourself then it is about the actual carrying in DC.

If I lived in the VA/MD area, I probably would get a D.C. Permit.

But how I travel, that wouldn’t happen.

I would recommend it to some absolutely.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    My big concern, now is mostly the time it will take in getting the permits issued. Also maybe in renewal process.

MD doesn’t look to be an issue, even MA doesn’t look to be much of an issue for renewal except once every 6 years.

NJ, and RI AG maybe the biggest hurdle with the most effort required in renewal. I will have to look at again at their process.

Now. We can get national reciprocity a lot of things would improve. Or at least get every state to offer non-resident permits.

Seems I won’t ever be able to get a permit for NY, NYC, OR, CA, or HI.

Although HI’s laws on resident/non resident status is vague. But if one has to apply in person, it makes it pointless for those who go on a vacation, less pointless for those who go on business or to visit family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom