• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wow, Chambley is still around?

Is there $ involved in winning these cases? I was wondering about donating and to which group.

If so, hopefully enough to propose our own bills , like a bicycle road tax. Sorry Fabs lol.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    He can't find any wine to drink, Andrea Chambley bought up most of the boxes in the state last Thursday, she bought out the rest today.
    You know, I'm sure his buddy Hag Dumais has multiple cases of wine stashed in many places. Her favorite saying is "Lets celebrate".

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wow, Chambley is still around?

Is there $ involved in winning these cases? I was wondering about donating and to which group.

If so, hopefully enough to propose our own bills , like a bicycle road tax. Sorry Fabs lol.
    To a degree. The States end up paying the legal expenses because they are civil rights cases. So if the plaintiff wins...

At least that is my understanding.

So it is more like self-funding, not really "get rich". I don't believe the organizations behind the lawsuits get anything. Other than the fact that their legal expenses were paid. But that is the thing, they funded a lawsuit, and then got paid back. So now they have the money back so they can fund another lawsuit. And it is now a lot more likely to win it. And it makes an even better case to collect funds for other lawsuits too.

Because it isn't "please donate to our long shot lawsuit". It is "please donate to fund more lawsuits that we are WINNING, so we can file more suits at once and get you your rights back sooner!"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, you are both right.

However, for the most part their hands are pretty ouch tied. If they don’t do what they are suppose too, in Duncan v Bonta, then Duncan can file another petition for Cert… in which case the Supreme Court will issue the mandate.

Usually what is done though, is the circuit court being that of the 3 justices or 11 justices issue an opinion an opinion and a mandate and then send it back to the district court to follow that mandate and issue the judgment, and the enjoinment. The district court then proceeds with hearings on who is paying what fees, expenses and how much.

Same thing applies to the 3rd circuit for MD and Bianchi, 4th circuit for ANJRPC.

Now keep in mind several other factors.

Normally a decision in one circuit doesn’t have a legal binding hold on another circuit. However, when a case is GVR’d by SCOTUS it does.

Also keep in mind, that since June 23rd, as well as previously filed cases. There are many other magazine ban cases, and AWB cases pending in the same circuits, different states. As well as many new cases filed on June 30th. 2 in D.C. All these cases will eventually have nationwide impact.

As more cases get settled and judgments given, more cases will be filed. As reimbursement money starts getting paid for all the present cases. That money will go on to support and pay for new cases filed. Now that we have a real basis to start winning, and know we can recoup funds. More suits will be filed.
    I hadn't realized nationwide precedent was set on a GVR'd case. But I guess that makes sense, the supreme court is literally saying they are granting certiorari. So saying they are certifying the case as being worthy of supreme court review. They vacate the last decision. And then send it back to that court to redetermine the decision because SCOTUS is saying it was wrongly decided (or the basis on which it was decided was wrong).

So I guess SCOTUS is giving official imprimatur to the outcome of this case, this national precedent. SCOTUS then has the opportunity to sit back, fold their arms and nod contentedly if they like the Appeals court final decision and thus is stands across the nation. Or they can lean in, wave their finger in the Appeals court's face and tell them they again fugged up and SCOTUS will hear the case for arguments and render a decision they write.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    SAF ended up agreeing to less than $400k for their legal expenses in McDonald v Chicago, there's a picture of Gottlieb holding the check. I think Heller was almost double that.

Those weren't nearly what the cases cost, but what they could prove, what the judge would approve, and what the cities claimed they could afford.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Is there an estimate on when we should expect further guidance from the state?

how-about-never-cartoon-credit-mankoff_custom-b05aa91cbe49bba79d2e41a00d7e0f32f1020796.jpg

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Maryland is going to F around and be Constitutional Carry. At first I was kidding when I said this last week……but I actually can see this happening now.

Buy holsters, belts, gear, proper CCW pistols (p365/p365XL….Glock 48/43x/43…Hellcat etc…) and be ready to carry.

Last I checked Maryland was still in the United States and bound by its laws

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Maryland is going to F around and be Constitutional Carry. At first I was kidding when I said this last week……but I actually can see this happening now.

Buy holsters, belts, gear, proper CCW pistols (p365/p365XL….Glock 48/43x/43…Hellcat etc…) and be ready to carry.

Last I checked Maryland was still in the United States and bound by its laws
    Yeah I didn't think the Maryland Attorney General would be this dumb. Not even the police chief of DC was this dumb when they went shall issue

Whatever. I can live with constitutional car

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    SAF ended up agreeing to less than $400k for their legal expenses in McDonald v Chicago, there's a picture of Gottlieb holding the check. I think Heller was almost double that.

Those weren't nearly what the cases cost, but what they could prove, what the judge would approve, and what the cities claimed they could afford.
    The Heller case cost several million so yeah, the amounts the states/localities have to pay is a pittance. The Cato Institute funded most of it.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    NY throws temper tantrum after losing. I envision a bigger smackdown coming soon.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/d...ION1-CONCEALED_CARRY_IMPROVEMENT_ACT-BILL.pdf

Summary:

1) To get a license an in-person interview is required. Applicant needs to reveal names of everyone residing with him - spouse, children etc. Applicant needs to submit all his present and passed social media accounts. 4 character references are now a law.

2) Sensitive places - govt buildings, public parks, playgrounds, libraries, zoos, any property of any educational institution, any school or children's program, any place serving alcohol, public transportation, public transportation facilities including stations and airports, entertainment venues, any protests or political gatherings, any place not displaying signs that allow carry, Times Square, places of worship. Penalty - class E felony.

3) Central database of all licenses that will be checked monthly against arrest records, indictments, protection orders etc.

4) Database of all ammunition purchases

5) Storage in a vehicle when not in control of it (parked etc) - weapons must be unloaded and locked in a fire and impact resistant container. Lockable soft cases are not allowed anymore. Penalty - Class A misdemeanor.

6) Background checks on ammunition purchases through the State Police. Another section creates a "background check fund" to finance this.

7) 16-hr class for a pistol permit - required to be completed ONCE. If in possession of a permit already, will need to do the class prior to first renewal.

8) Includes muzzleloaders in a definition of a "rifle" and "shotgun". So background checks, FFL transfers etc for muzzleloaders. No more buying them online.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    NY throws temper tantrum after losing. I envision a bigger smackdown coming soon.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/d...ION1-CONCEALED_CARRY_IMPROVEMENT_ACT-BILL.pdf

Summary:

1) To get a license an in-person interview is required. Applicant needs to reveal names of everyone residing with him - spouse, children etc. Applicant needs to submit all his present and passed social media accounts. 4 character references are now a law.

2) Sensitive places - govt buildings, public parks, playgrounds, libraries, zoos, any property of any educational institution, any school or children's program, any place serving alcohol, public transportation, public transportation facilities including stations and airports, entertainment venues, any protests or political gatherings, any place not displaying signs that allow carry, Times Square, places of worship. Penalty - class E felony.

3) Central database of all licenses that will be checked monthly against arrest records, indictments, protection orders etc.

5) Storage in a vehicle when not in control of it (parked etc) - weapons must be unloaded and locked in a fire and impact resistant container. Lockable soft cases are not allowed anymore. Penalty - Class A misdemeanor.

6) Background checks on ammunition purchases through the State Police. Another section creates a "background check fund" to finance this.

7) 16-hr class for a pistol permit - required to be completed ONCE. If in possession of a permit already, will need to do the class prior to first renewal.

8) Includes muzzleloaders in a definition of a "rifle" and "shotgun". So background checks, FFL transfers etc for muzzleloaders. No more buying them online.
    Its almost like they WANT to be get crushed in court again.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia

Summary:

All of this was addressed in the Bruen ruling. All of these proposals do not pass the One-Step.

NY state is in blatant violation of the US Constiution.

Therefore, on a local to me level:

I propose the Florida legislature ban New York law enforcement officers from entering the state of FL, whether on-duty or off-duty…. penalty being a Class A Felony…..until their unconstitutional gun laws are reversed.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Maybe people should just wait to take the training, because it looks like in 90 days the entire country will be constitutional carry thanks to New York and Marlyand and shenanigans

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom