• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I haven't gone to any kind of shooting class in a long time. I'm very excited for this

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    I've read through this thread and looked at the registration links but still have so many questions.

Does completing the instructor class give me QHIC status?
    Is there periodic refresher training required to maintain that status?
    If so, what are the training intervals and time requirements?
    Are there one-time or periodic fees payable to NRA for maintenance of the credentials?
    Will I be eligible to provide training for Maryland HQL or CCW classes?
    If so, will I be required to be licensed or credentialed by Maryland and what fees would be associated that?
    Will this exempt me from Maryland Wear & Carry renewal training?
    If so, is this permanent or will I still need to have periodic instructor refresher training?
    And same questions for DC.

I'm interested. I just want to know what I am getting for all of this.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Successful applicants/students will have an NRA Basic Pistol instructor certification to teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course. At this current point in time, MDSP does accept this for QHIC. You would need to teach more than the NRA course to comply with MD law but the QHIC allows you to do it. NRA instructor renewals are every two years.

The MDSP info is here:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've read through this thread and looked at the registration links but still have so many questions.

Does completing the instructor class give me QHIC status?
    No but it gives you the ability to apply to MSP for that status

Is there periodic refresher training required to maintain that status?

Sounds like the BIT requires renewal every 3 years
    If so, what are the training intervals and time requirements?
    see above
    Are there one-time or periodic fees payable to NRA for maintenance of the credentials?
    unsure besides the classes
    Will I be eligible to provide training for Maryland HQL or CCW classes?
    If you get the QHIC then yes
    If so, will I be required to be licensed or credentialed by Maryland and what fees would be associated that?
    Don't know fees
    Will this exempt me from Maryland Wear & Carry renewal training?
    If you get the QHIC yes
    If so, is this permanent or will I still need to have periodic instructor refresher training?
    And same questions for DC.
    Every 4 years you have to reapply to MSP with current NRA credentials
    I'm interested. I just want to know what I am getting for all of this.
    I'll answer what I knew above

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Successful applicants/students will have an NRA Basic Pistol instructor certification to teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course. At this current point in time, MDSP does accept this for QHIC. You would need to teach more than the NRA course to comply with MD law but the QHIC allows you to do it. NRA instructor renewals are every two years.

The MDSP info is here:
    I believe what the man is saying here is the NRA curriculum is not the same as the MSP curriculum for the carry permit training so you need to teach to the MSP requirements?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The NRA curriculum by itself doesn't include everything required for Maryland. You would need to present that also .

Hypothetically you could offer a 16hr Class that taught an orthodox NRA Basic Pistol for 8hrs worth ; and use the remainder of the 16hrs for the Maryland stuff .

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    The NRA curriculum by itself doesn't include everything required for Maryland. You would need to present that also .

Hypothetically you could offer a 16hr Class that taught an orthodox NRA Basic Pistol for 8hrs worth ; and use the remainder of the 16hrs for the Maryland stuff .
    You also need the MD shooting qual which requires different distances than NRA BP

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

This^^

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I've got ideas in my head for writing a curriculum that I've gleaned from reading here and other sources
    The MD W&C basic curriculum should closely follow NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home or the full NRA CCW class with ALL modules. These 2 are basically the same class. I cannot recommend any instructor for MD W&C not familiar with these classes.

But we know that many or possibly MOST MD QHIC instructors only know Basic Pistol and little if anything else.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The MD W&C basic curriculum should closely follow NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home or the full NRA CCW class with ALL modules. These 2 are basically the same class. I cannot recommend any instructor for MD W&C not familiar with these classes.

But we know that many or possibly MOST MD QHIC instructors only know Basic Pistol and little if anything else.
    I'll look in to those as well

Many of us will never agree whether this should be treated as a check box only or made something more useful.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'll look in to those as well

Many of us will never agree whether this should be treated as a check box only or made something more useful.
    The ccw instructor shooting test is harder than the BOPS test. And the course material is more involved/modular. It's not a bad class but some of the material is dated. It's definitely geared towards the new ccw applicant and it covers the basics pretty well (BOPS definitely doesn't cover carry). I may disagree personally with some of the finer points of the curriculum of CCW but it's not "bad". If I were to teach it, I'd definitely recommend that people take a "2.0" version where the NRA mandated stuff could be dispensed with.

I think there's a market for both box checking (min price, bare bones) and "something more useful". I'd look for the cheapest box check that had legit live fire qual with my gun at the required ranges (no cheating or sims BS) if I wasn't exempt. I'm not into wasting my ammo doing "training" drills leading up to the qual. If that makes me a tool, well I'm ok with it. I just need to check a box. I'll sleep for two days, take any written exam the instructor wants, and then I want the qual with no warm up or baloney. But that's me. I know a guy who is a USPSA master and has shot Bianchi for years. What would I teach him of any value in a BOPS or NRA CCW class? He wants the cheapest box check too.

Now, someone who hasn't carried long term or who is, as some are, new to carry/defensive handgun use should look for a class that maximizes live fire training and includes holster work.

The market will demand both extremes and plenty of options in between them. I'm good with that.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have hesitated to comment on this post..........

I have been teaching/instructing various things for a while and have realized some things. There are people who can teach and people who think teaching is easy. The recent demand for Md courses has caused a flood of instructors, of which some are good and some are bad. Getting an nra instructor certification does not make you a good competent instructor, it takes more than that.

Back in 2013 when this all started i seem to remember instructors had to have 1 year of experience before the MSP would certify them to teach the permit and hql course, I think that requirement is gone now. The MSP gives very little guidance to instructors, which means they can do the bare minimum and even been wrong on things until they are finally corrected, if ever corrected. It is to easy to become an instructor, you can disagree if you like but when dealing with something as serious as the responsibility of carrying a firearm the instructor should be vetted and held to a high standard.

If you are doing this to be certified to teach others I would advise you to partner up with an experienced instructor to get some experience teaching. Don't become one of the bad ones, even if it's an accident. If you are doing it to get out of the training and to become exempt for the permit or HQL we'll that's another thing entirely.

Some will be unhappy with this post, that's ok. I have also learned in my past few decades of teaching there are some who already know everything. Best of luck to you.

I do applaud the instructors offering this opportunity, they are doing a financial favor to everyone who participates.

I would advise anyone with questions about the nra certification or the MSP QHIC or QHIL to contact the sources.

TD

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have hesitated to comment on this post..........

I have been teaching/instructing various things for a while and have realized some things. There are people who can teach and people who think teaching is easy. The recent demand for Md courses has caused a flood of instructors, of which some are good and some are bad. Getting an nra instructor certification does not make you a good competent instructor, it takes more than that.

Back in 2013 when this all started i seem to remember instructors had to have 1 year of experience before the MSP would certify them to teach the permit and hql course, I think that requirement is gone now. The MSP gives very little guidance to instructors, which means they can do the bare minimum and even been wrong on things until they are finally corrected, if ever corrected. It is to easy to become an instructor, you can disagree if you like but when dealing with something as serious as the responsibility of carrying a firearm the instructor should be vetted and held to a high standard.

If you are doing this to be certified to teach others I would advise you to partner up with an experienced instructor to get some experience teaching. Don't become one of the bad ones, even if it's an accident. If you are doing it to get out of the training and to become exempt for the permit or HQL we'll that's another thing entirely.

Some will be unhappy with this post, that's ok. I have also learned in my past few decades of teaching there are some who already know everything. Best of luck to you.

I do applaud the instructors offering this opportunity, they are doing a financial favor to everyone who participates.

I would advise anyone with questions about the nra certification or the MSP QHIC or QHIL to contact the sources.

TD
    Reserving for discussion

To be edited later

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I took too long to arrange my schedule, it appears as if The classes are full. Please update new dates when available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom