• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cspafford

SSG, MP, SC
    Mar 9, 2010
    If there are any NRA Training Counselors here looking to make some money, I am in need of NRA Instructor classes in all disciplines, as well as RSO. I have the time and the money, so if you're willing to spend some time and make some money, send me a PM. I don't want to wait a year and drive all over the state to attend individual courses.

I've contacted NRA HQ and have been told I do not need to take the basic discipline course before taking the instructor because of my background in military firearms instruction. All I need to do is pass the basic course exam and the pre-course qualification.

If you're a Training Counselor and have some time to teach me and a few others, send me a PM. I'm sure we can work something out.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The issue is that in order to conduct an NRA Instructor class the NRA likes to have a minimum class size of four (4).

Do not forget about the pre-qualification testing and the Basic Instructor Training (BIT) class not to mention ordering the NRA materials. There is also the issue of finding a location. Most ranges I use are already booked for the summer. If you consider most NRA classes take at least 8 hours, you are looking at about 40 hours just for the NRA basic rifle/pistol/shotgun and the BIT! Many of the TCs I know are part-time so it would mean taking off from their regular job in order to teach the classes.

In short, it takes about 6-8 weeks to plan for an instructor class and then, even if scheduled, it may not happen as students fail to attend. I had to cancel and refund fees for two instructor classes as stuidnets failed to show up.

Your best bet is to look for ones already scheduled on www.nrainstructors.org.

cspafford

SSG, MP, SC
    Mar 9, 2010
    The problem is most Training Counselors are not holding classes, or they're spread out over a year, holding them only once a month. I'm a "have to have it now" sort of person, and I hate to wait for things I want...lol

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Considering the financial outlay and time needed for a TC to offer the class, it is hard to justify offering more that a few per year, especially when there is no guarantee the classes will meet the minimum number of students.

I know I have given serious consideration to $100.00 deposits with no refund of the deposit if the class gets canceled for any reason. Some folks do not pass the pre-qualification test (many do not know about single action revolvers or cannot break 18 out of 25 clays or cannot sfely handle a firearm). Sad but true. I have had 15 students sign up but after the pre-qualification and the BIT, only 2 remain!

I would be willing to offer a weekend series over the Labor Day weekend. The pre-qualification would take place on 08/23-08/25, the BIT on 08/26-08/28 (during the evenings from 6PM-9PM) and the actual classes (Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/HFS/RSO) on 08/30-09/02 (Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues 8AM-6PM). Let me know if that would be something you would like to pursue.

cspafford

SSG, MP, SC
    Mar 9, 2010
    That sounds great! I'll send you my email over PM. There are some other guys I deployed with that want the same thing. Let me see if they're available.

cspafford

SSG, MP, SC
    Mar 9, 2010
    I may have two other people for these classes. I'll have a firm commitment tomorrow from them. I'm also working on your fourth person, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom