• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    so I just got back from NC to help my aunt settle my uncle's estate. Among his things were a few fixed blade knives. I brought them home with me and will treasure them because they were his.

I have no idea what this one is made of, does anyone know? My guess would be obsidian, but I thought that was all black, and this has streaks of red/brown among the black 'stone'. I am thinking the handle is cactus.

Wondering if it's worth me trying to find someone to make a sheath for it. I don't like it bouncing around unprotected where it could get damaged.

Any thoughts, info, or advice is much appreciated.
    Fred knife 1.jpg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    That's definitely an obsidian blade. Obsidian can be mottled in color. Red is not uncommon mixed in.

Out of curiosity, was your uncle a "knapper"? If so, It's likely he made that blade. That takes skill to get right.

Last edited:

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    That's definitely an obsidian blade. Obsidian can be mottled in color. Red is not uncommon mixed in.

Out of curiosity, was your uncle a "knapper"? If so, It's likely he made that blade. That takes skill to get right.
    I am sure he bought it somewhere. the edges on this thing seem very sharp to me but did not test it.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I am sure he bought it somewhere. the edges on this thing seem very sharp to me but did not test it.
    Obsidian blades can actually have a much finer edge than steel (but much more fragile as it is essentially volcanic glass). IIRC, it can be a much finer edge than what's even on surgical steel cutting tools. If you're going to test it, don't test it on yourself.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    The scale is cactus? Very cool knife.
    yes almost positive it's cactus

Seems a little porous and unfinished to me. As a woodworker, I am wondering if I can soak it in something like danish oil, polyurethane, or even penetrating epoxy to stabilize/strengthen it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The rationale is solid on a functional basis. One side gets damaged, flip it.
    Yup. The drop point is a "modern" design. Not trying to sound like a knife expert. I'm not.

In my opinion, that doesn't take away the cool value of that knife.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Obsidian blades can actually have a much finer edge than steel (but much more fragile as it is essentially volcanic glass). IIRC, it can be a much finer edge than what's even on surgical steel cutting tools. If you're going to test it, don't test it on yourself.
    ^He ain't kidding, cut the crap out of myself testing the edge on one of those

That's a neat blade. Handle does look quite porous, nevver seen cactus as a handle before. I like the penetrating epoxy idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom