Not Not Disapproved..... Who You Gonna Call?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    A friend of mine put in paperwork for a pistol 9 days ago. He checked the submission date and it is correct on MSP website. Yet still "under review". His FFL is somewhat incompetent so will not release it. We think it might have to do with him just getting his collector letter (just before submitting this firearm) and purchasing 2 previously ("2 in 30 days" on same application) about a week before this one. But nevertheless...... Who does he call to see WTF is going on? MSP? I would have thought if they did not know about his collector letter yet it simply would have been disapproved.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you aren't a collector, MSP just holds off the approval until 30 days are up on the second pistol. That's what my LGS says, anyway.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    With the way FFLs are being treated, I wouldnt either.

OK he just talked with MSP and they are not yet aware of his collector letter. He will send them a copy, which they should already have I would assume. He did check the "I am a designated collector" on his application.

I say "somewhat incompetent" because he told my friend that the mil-spec AR15 lower he was transferring MUST have a brand-matched upper or it would not work.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    He sent the question to them and now the MSP told him they are not responsible for him not checking the "designated collector" box. But of course, it WAS checked. He sent both back to them (print screens of the application and the letter). But the incompetent MSP will most likely make him apply again and of course with a new fee. Or he can wait 60 days for the release. Asshats!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I say "somewhat incompetent" because he told my friend that the mil-spec AR15 lower he was transferring MUST have a brand-matched upper or it would not work.
    If it had a brand matched upper(or any other upper, for that matter) he wouldn't even be waiting. He could have taken it home the day of purchase, once he passed his NICS.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    If it had a brand matched upper(or any other upper, for that matter) he wouldn't even be waiting. He could have taken it home the day of purchase, once he passed his NICS.
    could one of you fine gentlemen tell me what this means?

explain it as if my brain was the size of a chicken's. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

If you buy an AR lower by itself, no upper on it [i.e. a complete AR 15], it is handled like a handgun so it cannot be built into a copycat weapon. It will have a registered 'bought on date'. So, 77r and a 7 day wait is required for any AR lower, whether it is a completed lower or just the lower itself(no buffer tube, trigger, etc). If he was buying a complete Md compliant AR 15, he could take it home that same day. No 77r and no 7 day waiting period. It's Merryland. It's not supposed to make sense.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

An AR-15 lower receiver is the serialized part that is registered with the government. Every other part can be bought "over the counter". Frequently people buy a "stripped" lower receiver and then build it. It comes without a trigger, mag release, grip, etc. This is a "milspec" or "military specifications" lower. That means that any "milspec" upper will work with it. It is not dependant on brand or any other specifics. Only that both are "milspec".

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    If you buy an AR lower by itself, no upper on it [i.e. a complete AR 15], it is handled like a handgun so it cannot be built into a copycat weapon. It will have a registered 'bought on date'. So, 77r and a 7 day wait is required for any AR lower, whether it is a completed lower or just the lower itself(no buffer tube, trigger, etc). If he was buying a complete Md compliant AR 15, he could take it home that same day. No 77r and no 7 day waiting period. It's Merryland. It's not supposed to make sense.
    It is not handled like a handgun, it is handled like a regulated firearm. It is handled as a regulated firearm because the FFL says it is.

The basis comes from a misunderstanding of a MSP advisory. This advisory indicates that the lower is considered the same as the completed arm. There is some ambiguity with respect to AR lowers because the designation depends on what upper is attached. Given the law prevents certain configurations, it would seem the logical conclusion would be for the lower to be considered a nonregulated firearm.

I believe most/all FFLs will sell AR lowers as regulated firearms.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It is not handled like a handgun, it is handled like a regulated firearm. It is handled as a regulated firearm because the FFL says it is.

The basis comes from a misunderstanding of a MSP advisory. This advisory indicates that the lower is considered the same as the completed arm. There is some ambiguity with respect to AR lowers because the designation depends on what upper is attached. Given the law prevents certain configurations, it would seem the logical conclusion would be for the lower to be considered a nonregulated firearm.

I have a mental block that keeps me from remembering the word regulated.

I used the purchase of an AR lower as my qualification for obtaining my HQL without taking the requisite training. For all intents and purposes, the state still considers an AR lower, either complete or stripped, a regulated firearm. I'm not disagreeing with you. That's just how it is.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

So are you saying it is the FFL's decision to treat it as a handgun (regulated)? I thought this was MSP/MD rules since a lower can be built into a handgun. Any other configuration except a handgun is not regulated. If the FFL was selling any MD compliant AR-15 rifle then it would be an over-the-counter sale.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So are you saying it is the FFL's decision to treat it as a handgun (regulated)? I thought this was MSP/MD rules since a lower can be built into a handgun. Any other configuration except a handgun is not regulated. If the FFL was selling any MD compliant AR-15 rifle then it would be an over-the-counter sale.
    If it were about being able to build it into a pistol, then dedicated pistol caliber lowers would be regulated as well. They are not.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dedicated pistol caliber stripped AR lowers are not regulated? LOL well now I am confused!
    Nuts! The way it's been loosely splained to me, they regulate AR lowers because they can be illegally configured into pre ban type weapons. How that inhibits anyone from doing that, let alone reconfiguring a post ban AR into a prohibited(copycat) weapon is beyond me. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    FYI: So I just heard from my friend they have released his new pistol from purgatory with a "not disapproved" stamp. He is happy he doesn't have to wait until the end of June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom