• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a question. I filled out my paperwork at my FFL on March 14 for my latest purchase. I am still waiting for a reply. I sold a handgun to a friend on March 17 and completed the paperwork at the Lavale Barracks of the MSP. Today, March 30, I received the not disapproved letter in the mail. The letter was postmarked March 29. My question is, how can the MSP complete the background check for my private sale in only 12 days but sales completed at an FFL are taking forty some odd days? To me this makes no sense. I can think of no possible explanation for them being able to complete a private sale background check that much faster than a sale from a dealer. What gives?:confused:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have a question. I filled out my paperwork at my FFL on March 14 for my latest purchase. I am still waiting for a reply. I sold a handgun to a friend on March 17 and completed the paperwork at the Lavale Barracks of the MSP. Today, March 30, I received the not disapproved letter in the mail. The letter was postmarked March 29. My question is, how can the MSP complete the background check for my private sale in only 12 days but sales completed at an FFL are taking forty some odd days? To me this makes no sense. I can think of no possible explanation for them being able to complete a private sale background check that much faster than a sale from a dealer. What gives?:confused:

The difference is that you do NOT need to obtain a NICS number for a private sale and there is no restriction for you releasing the firearm after Maryland's required 7 day wait period. So, I am guessing that they are putting way more emphasis on doing FTF transfers prior to doing FFL transfers since the FFL transfer will be held up by the NICS requirement before the FFL can release the firearm. So, while the FFL could release the firearm under Maryland law after the 7 day wait period, the FFL cannot do so without the NICS number, which is supplied by the MSP. So, MSP has the FFL's by the nuts, but not the FTF transfers.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    My mother gifted a handgun to me on Feb 14th.
    The paperwork came Friday 3/29. Six weeks

We did this at the Frederick MSP.

I gifted a semi-auto tommygun to my nephew on Jan 17th

I still have not received the paperwork !!!

None of this makes any sense.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I got one back yesterday from 3/16 done at Cumberland, the cover letter said to proceed but the form wasn't stamped with anything. The lower was transferred on the 8th day so that's not a problem. You'd think that if they make such a big deal of stamping "not disapproved" someone would check these things before they were mailed out.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    sry to hijack but, i sold a handgun to a buddy through a local FFL. He waited a little over a month to receive it from MSP. Should i have received some paper work? all the buyer did is fill out all the paper work to buy a regulated gun and then waited. Was something done incorrectly?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    sry to hijack but, i sold a handgun to a buddy through a local FFL. He waited a little over a month to receive it from MSP. Should i have received some paper work? all the buyer did is fill out all the paper work to buy a regulated gun and then waited. Was something done incorrectly?

No, the dealer transferred the firearm into his records from you then transfers it to your buyer.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'm wondering if Fabsroman isn't on to something. I called and checked with MSP because someone was questioning me about something I have listed and MSP told me after day 7 to release it per the law. They said if there was an issue I would be contacted and we would have to get the firearm back. I'm not sure if they meant they would get it and return it or not but he said after 7 release it.

My guess is they don't want to let any slip through the cracks and also don't want to be involved in any attempts to go and recover a firearms after the fact. Lastly I'm sure their paperwork makes it to the background check people where it seems that some of the ones done at local ffls keep showing up missing.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I'm wondering if Fabsroman isn't on to something. I called and checked with MSP because someone was questioning me about something I have listed and MSP told me after day 7 to release it per the law. They said if there was an issue I would be contacted and we would have to get the firearm back. I'm not sure if they meant they would get it and return it or not but he said after 7 release it.

My guess is they don't want to let any slip through the cracks and also don't want to be involved in any attempts to go and recover a firearms after the fact. Lastly I'm sure their paperwork makes it to the background check people where it seems that some of the ones done at local ffls keep showing up missing.

When you go to the MSP Barracks to perform a private transfer. MSP checks both of you out - run all the checks. If something is wrong, the person in question would need to answer some hard questions while being detained - locked up.

The 7 day wait is just a stupid law implemented by anti-2A idiots, for a “cool off” period for the angry purchasers, which is complete BS! If someone was that angry with someone they planned harming, their anger can flare up well past 7 days at a moments notice.

Maryland is doing (2) things. They took away FFL responsibilities from Maryland FFLs, and implemented the 7 day wait period.

FFLs are trusted by the Federal government, but not Maryland State government.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    The difference is that you do NOT need to obtain a NICS number for a private sale and there is no restriction for you releasing the firearm after Maryland's required 7 day wait period. So, I am guessing that they are putting way more emphasis on doing FTF transfers prior to doing FFL transfers since the FFL transfer will be held up by the NICS requirement before the FFL can release the firearm. So, while the FFL could release the firearm under Maryland law after the 7 day wait period, the FFL cannot do so without the NICS number, which is supplied by the MSP. So, MSP has the FFL's by the nuts, but not the FTF transfers.

Fabsroman, a question if I might? There seems to have been a lot of talk in this session regarding straw sales in the state and one side has been pushing for more regulation while the other wants to see how many have been convicted or even prosecuted. The AG's office is saying they are having alot of trouble convicting anyone for this violation. Is the lack of federal necessity for a FTFsale NICS # for a transfer the issue as it would lead to a major lawsuit to convict on FTF as a straw sale exposing MD law as unenforcable at a Federal level? Or are there other legal reasons the AG can't enforce the MD straw sale laws?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Maybe there are not many straw purchases in the 1st place.
    The girl who straw purchased for the guy in Colorado who shot the
    correctional Administrator is facing 16 - 20 years - for buying a gun for a thug?
    No thanks.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall

Sgt Preston here...

Here is what I do...

I prepare a Bill of Sale listing the Make, Model, Caliber & Serial Number of the firearm.
    It should list the sale date & the amount the buyer is paying.
    Both the buyer & Seller need to sign it & each should get a copy for their records.

The seller should also keep a note of the FFL you used & the date the buyer filled out the paper work...

At that point you have a perfect trail of transfer...

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    When you go to the MSP Barracks to perform a private transfer. MSP checks both of you out - run all the checks. If something is wrong, the person in question would need to answer some hard questions while being detained - locked up.

The 7 day wait is just a stupid law implemented by anti-2A idiots, for a “cool off” period for the angry purchasers, which is complete BS! If someone was that angry with someone that they planned harming, their anger can flare up well past 7 days at a moments notice.

Maryland is doing (2) things. They took away FFL responsibilities from Maryland FFLs, and implemented the 7 day wait period.

FFLs are trusted by the Federal government, but not Maryland State government.

I've done a transfer in the past at msp they don't do it while you wait so not sure what you are talking about detained?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I've done a transfer in the past at msp they don't do it while you wait so not sure what you are talking about detained?

The one I did in September 2012 was approved while we waited. We were just told the exchange couldn't happen for 7 days.

They did take both of our licenses, I am sure they did a quick warrant check. We were told that the exchange could take place after day seven. Once not disapproved, I would receive papers back that would need to be signed by both parties and returned. I have never heard of instant approval in Maryland. As a matter of fact, Maryland never approves. They only not disapprove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom