• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Ok guys and gals,

I need a bit of guidance. Been lurking for a few months getting info about my first handgun purchase.

I know there are some FFL who are doing on time release to folks who have previously done business there, or can prove previous ND.

I have neither above.

Should I just go ahead and buy the handgun and wait it out on waiver, etc.,
    or
    Should I pick up an unregulated rifle from the same FFL who can then run NICS and get ND proof that way.

Also - If I do the buy on the unregulated piece, do I still need to wait at least 30 days before picking up the handgun?

Thanks !

DadOSix

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Simple answer is to call your local FFL's and ask.

Also check out the live release thread to get the up to date list on which FFL is releasing when with what restrictions.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Definitely call places first. Depending on the answers you get, it might be well worth the effort to drive to shops near Baltimore that have a good selection to pick from. Constitutional Firearms is a perfect example. They have friendly staff and usually a nice selection. My wife purchased her first handgun (first gun for that matter) at their shop a few weeks ago and was able to pick it up about ten days later.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    If I were you, I'd call both Hafer's and Hendershots which are both located in the Hagerstown area. I've purchased from both and iirc both are on the releasing on-time list. I'd verify though given you are new to firearm ownership whether either have additional constraints.

Good luck

---
    Shamr0ck

azuluza

May 14, 2013
    Some FFl's require you to either be military, gov employee, proof of clearance to get the 8day release. BTW what gun do you have in mind?

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    azuluza,

That is where I fall apart. I don't have any of those clearances.

Exact gun is up in the air right now. I went to range day at Frostburg a few months back and was able to try a few nice guns out.

I am looking either 9 or 40 - I guess 9 is cheaper to shoot. but am looking for something to CCW at work (retail pharmacy) , so I may go 40 based on what the RSO chatted with me about that day.

I am kinda partial to SS or two-tone, so the SW SD40's look good to me, but I had an M&P 40 in hand and I like that as well.

lol - maybe I can buy one for the wife!

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd recommend calling or stop by 3R Gun shop above Hagerstown. He's only open Saturday from 10-2 and Wednesday from 6-8. I was in Wednesday. He has a lot of stock for really decent prices and will release on time once he gets through his backlog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom