• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Can a Maryland C&R license holder purchase a C&R eligible firearm (handgun or long gun) face-to-face in Virginia, say at the upcoming gun show in Chantilly? tks, s

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yes. Both. You give the seller a copy of your C&R. Bring blank unsigned copies with you and sign it in front of the seller. Don't forget to get the seller's info, especially if the seller is not an FFL. If not an FFL, ask to see their driver's license. If they refuse, walk away.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but couldn't a Marylandistan resident purchase a cash and carry firearm in VA with just a NICS check? I've never purchased a gun out of state, except ordering online with my C&R or having it shipped to a MD FFL, so I don't know.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but couldn't a Marylandistan resident purchase a cash and carry firearm in VA with just a NICS check? I've never purchased a gun out of state, except ordering online with my C&R or having it shipped to a MD FFL, so I don't know.

non-regulated long guns and shotguns.. yes..

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but couldn't a Marylandistan resident purchase a cash and carry firearm in VA with just a NICS check?

Yes. But if it's a C&R-eligible gun, regardless of how you get it, it must go into your bound book. I say that for the benefit of others, since the issue/question comes up over and over again on the forum.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yes. But if it's a C&R-eligible gun, regardless of how you get it, it must go into your bound book. I say that for the benefit of others, since the issue/question comes up over and over again on the forum.

Yep, I have a CZ-82 that I did MSP paperwork on that is going in my BB when I pick it up tomorrow. Seems weird.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

Wait, Sorry to ask this again but just to reiterate, If I buy or get gifted a C&R eligible rifle or pistol Without using my C&R license (NICS check) then I still have to put it in the bound book? What if I had them before I got the C&R license?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Wait, Sorry to ask this again but just to reiterate, If I buy or get gifted a C&R eligible rifle or pistol Without using my C&R license (NICS check) then I still have to put it in the bound book?

Yes, always. How you obtain the firearm is irrelevant per ATF C&R regulation.

What if I had them before I got the C&R license?

Only if any are sold while you have a C&R FFL. Those are entered into your BB as dispositions. The receipt section stays blank.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Only if any are sold while you have a C&R FFL. Those are entered into your BB as dispositions. The receipt section stays blank.

In that example I thought you're supposed to put "from personal collection" in the receipt section? I heard that somewhere but it could be wrong, of course.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I would regardless. To my knowledge, it's not required. I don't have the regulation book in front of me to reference.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Apologies for bringing this back up but I'm new to the C&R game...

If you go to a show and purchase a long gun (say a k98 or M1), is that technically cash and carry without the C&R?

I'm waiting for my license to arrive (was charged yesterday), if I were to buy (at a show for example) prior to it arriving, I still need to put the purchase in my bound book?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Some people do other...

If I hand my C&R over during purchase, (mail or FTF) I log it. If its a FTF cash sale and I do not supply my C&R to the seller, then I do not.

Apologies for bringing this back up but I'm new to the C&R game...

If you go to a show and purchase a long gun (say a k98 or M1), is that technically cash and carry without the C&R?

I'm waiting for my license to arrive (was charged yesterday), if I were to buy (at a show for example) prior to it arriving, I still need to put the purchase in my bound book?

No you do not. You are not a licensee until the license is in your possession. Once you have the C&R license you need to log all C&R firearms whether you "used" your license in the purchase or not.
    EX: A few years ago, I bought a CZ-52 at an auction in MD. It was a regulated sale, and I did the MSP paperwork, background check and 7 day wait. By federal law, I still had to log it in my bound book because a CZ-52 is a C&R eligible firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom