• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I’m in the process of getting my Utah non-resident CC permit. I live in the District, so realistically, the only place I would carry on a regular basis is Virginia. I’ve been reading as much as I can, but haven’t found anything that clarifies the ambiguity between Fed and State when it comes to school zones. My concern is driving through a school zone that I am unaware is even there (1000’ federal zone + “not issued by VA permit”). Looks like VA law leaves you alone as long as you don’t go on school property.
    Is it just that State, County, Local LEO will only enforce state law rather than Fed? So in effect, you’d have to be stopped by Fed LEO in order to be charged? What am I missing?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Virginia law doesn't address it, as long as you stay off school property.

The fed GFSZA technically would make it illegal for you to drive through the 1000 foot area since the permit is not issued by the state that the school is in. With that said, I never saw anyone (in my 12 years in LE) messed with regarding that. You'd really have to be swooped down upon by some fed agent for some other thing to be hemmed up for that. No local badge is going to mess with that nonsense.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The general info first paragraph in the GFSZA also says "knowingly" if you aren't aware of the school zone, you can't be prosecuted under GFSZA.

see attached.

Attachments

• GFSZA.pdf
      933.2 KB · Views: 74

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    Or you could just get a va non res permit and not worry about it.

Not sure on va...but a lot of states have stipulations that only resident permits are exempt on the gfsz deal...and a non resident permit is not ....but as pro shooter has said even then chances are 1 in a billion you'll get jammed up on it unless you are committing other crimes then it no doubt would be added on....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    VA allows that. The Fed GFSZA says even with a license, the firearm needs to be unloaded in a locked case or rack.

Doubtful you'd be prosecuted for that by itself anyway.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    You can drive through a school zone, just don't go walking around the grounds or go hang out in the parking lot. You can even drop a studen off while carrying as long as you stay in the car.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1
    ... and you don't need a CC permit to have a gun in your car when you do this. Every day citizens can put a handgun in their center console or glove box or another closed container (doesn't need to be locked) and drive around VA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom