• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm looking for a free float rail that is only solid rail on top, and has customizable rail positions around the circumference of the tube. The smaller in diameter it is the better. Troy industries has a few like this, are there any rails of this type that stand out above the rest?

-Jim

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    midwest industries, and Samson manufacturing have nice ones. Google them. I currently have a MI on my AR

Attachments

• 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 154

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    These types of rails are often a cam and clamp type and can shoot loose. I hate them but if you are set on this design then avoid the troy. Its vastly too expensive for the durability you get. People think, oh its troy, it must be great but they arent. Midwest makes the new SS rail that is cheaper and from my experience has rail that are more in spec. Half of the Troy rails wont allign with a flat top upper correctly that I install.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Midwest Industries is pretty good kit. Also the SS rails to me are purtier. ANd while an AR is a machine not a painting, aesthetics are important to some people.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    These types of rails are often a cam and clamp type and can shoot loose. I hate them but if you are set on this design then avoid the troy. Its vastly too expensive for the durability you get. People think, oh its troy, it must be great but they arent. Midwest makes the new SS rail that is cheaper and from my experience has rail that are more in spec. Half of the Troy rails wont allign with a flat top upper correctly that I install.

Have you ever installed any of the JP Enterprises VTAC modular handguard? I installed one for a customer once and was impressed with its rigidity. It's kind of a weird installation since you replace the traditional barrel nut with a wider collar (that the handguad is secured to by screws), then the barrel nut is threaded in through the collar. Tough to install and get aligned, but a pretty solid setup once installed. I would personally recommend checking it out.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg_mod.php

I've never seen or installed one, but the PRI carbon handguard system looks pretty sweet. Although, again, I bet alignment is difficult. It seems both these systems I mentioned are indexed on the port for the gas tube at the front of the upper receiver, which is not always drilled exactly centered...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-...ree-Float-NATURAL-p/pri 05_073_03 natural.htm

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Have you ever installed any of the JP Enterprises VTAC modular handguard? I installed one for a customer once and was impressed with its rigidity. It's kind of a weird installation since you replace the traditional barrel nut with a wider collar (that the handguad is secured to by screws), then the barrel nut is threaded in through the collar. Tough to install and get aligned, but a pretty solid setup once installed. I would personally recommend checking it out.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg_mod.php

I've never seen or installed one, but the PRI carbon handguard system looks pretty sweet. Although, again, I bet alignment is difficult. It seems both these systems I mentioned are indexed on the port for the gas tube at the front of the upper receiver, which is not always drilled exactly centered...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-...ree-Float-NATURAL-p/pri 05_073_03 natural.htm

Ive never done virgin JP handguard installs, only removed them to do custom work or threading. They do seem more rigid/ sturdy indeed.

The PRI are very sturdy too. I have done many of those for DMR applications. Very nice.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    New Troy Battlerail Delta connects to clamp and is not supposed to become loose. Granted it is in the process of being released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom