• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmeek

Jan 24, 2013
    I’m sure the question has been answered many times, but can one put a non HBAR barreled upper in .556 on a lower purchased prior to the HBAR legal requirement?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I’m sure the question has been answered many times, but can one put a non HBAR barreled upper in .556 on a lower purchased prior to the HBAR legal requirement?
    Yes. At least that's my understanding of it. I have a single non-HBAR upper on all of the things I have. I have it on the single stripped lower I bought before FSA2013 went into effect.

Had I known what I know now, I'd have bought a bunch of lowers, but I didn't anticipate the enjoyment I'd get building ARs back then. I never even wanted one until Maryland told me I wouldn't be able to have one. I bought a single stripped lower because I figured I needed to be able to have the ability to build one out if I wanted to.

bmeek

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes. At least that's my understanding of it. I have a single non-HBAR upper on all of the things I have. I have it on the single stripped lower I bought before FSA2013 went into effect.

Had I known what I know now, I'd have bought a bunch of lowers, but I didn't anticipate the enjoyment I'd get building ARs back then. I never even wanted one until Maryland told me I wouldn't be able to have one. I bought a single stripped lower because I figured I needed to be able to have the ability to build one out if I wanted to.
    Thanks for the reply, and my experience was almost exactly the same as yours as I wasn't planning on building an AR, I just bought the lower receiver before MD made it more difficult and it wasn't long before I was having fun assembling it. Current upper is a stainless 18" HBAR that makes every other AR I shoot feel much lighter and better balanced, so I figured it is either fluting the barrel/replacing the handguard or picking up a lighter upper assembly for maybe a few bucks more.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the reply, and my experience was almost exactly the same as yours as I wasn't planning on building an AR, I just bought the lower receiver before MD made it more difficult and it wasn't long before I was having fun assembling it. Current upper is a stainless 18" HBAR that makes every other AR I shoot feel much lighter and better balanced, so I figured it is either fluting the barrel/replacing the handguard or picking up a lighter upper assembly for maybe a few bucks more.
    As far as I know, as long as the lower was obtained by you pre-FSA2013, you can put any weight barrel on it you want.

I currently have a PSA 18" Wylde (standard weight barrel) upper on mine and it's probably the least accurate AR I own. At some point I might try taking it apart to see if it can be accurized.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012

I picked up my lower on 9/30/2013 about 10 minutes before the shop closed for the night.

I am petty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom