• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    *IF* I'm following your gist here , I would have to say 1911 ( stock OEM) . Long , fairly heavy trigger pull on striker vs short travel on 1911 . Yeah , the grip safety , but most modern 1911 have a light grip safety , designed to be easy to disengage.

If you had aftermarket light trigger on striker gun , and an actual GI spec 1911A1, they could overlap.
    I agree. Still, Glocks do have a safety, all be it, a passive one. Drop a Timney Alpha trigger into it and you are talking about a different animal though.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Glock17Gen4_4.jpg

One more thing about the striker blocker on a Glock or SIG for the folks new to safety free guns.

See that little silver circle in the slide channel under the serial number? That is the striker blocker.

You can test it's functionality by taking your slide off like this one. And then pushing the striker forward from the back. That little square thing that is in the groove on the right is the back of the striker. Push that forward and you will see it doesn't go.

Now push the striker blocker in with your finger and then try pushing the striker forward again. You will see it goes all the way forward through the striker channel and into where the primer on the round would be.

This is how you test the blocker safety. Just make sure the blocker moves freely in and out from the spring. DO NOT PUT OIL ON IT

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    A cocked and locked 1911 needs the safety switched off, the grip safety grabbed, and the trigger pulled to fire.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My thought though was safety off, so grip safety and trigger have to do their stuff, and if a series 80, it has the firing pin safety block, whereupon it seems like we've got a lot going on to prevent an accidental discharge.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    *IF* I'm following your gist here , I would have to say 1911 ( stock OEM) . Long , fairly heavy trigger pull on striker vs short travel on 1911 . Yeah , the grip safety , but most modern 1911 have a light grip safety , designed to be easy to disengage.

If you had aftermarket light trigger on striker gun , and an actual GI spec 1911A1, they could overlap.

The heavy longer trigger pull on the striker fire had crossed my mind too as part of their "safety". If the grip safety is compressed, a lot less accidental pressure on the trigger for it to fire is needed than on the striker fired gun.

I can't stand the trigger on my 1.0 Shield. Love the trigger on my 1911.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    No.

I have a 365 with a thumb safety. Never had that problem. I only have a few hundred rounds through it. The detent is pretty strong. Unless it’s defective, I can’t imagine it being engaged just due to recoil.
    I'm sure it was defective somehow. I didn't get my hands on that particular gun (hindsight...should have), but I did handle one at my LGS shortly thereafter. I honestly found the detent to be a little too strong on that one, for the size of the lever. That convinced me even moreso that the problem was with that one individual firearm and not the platform...though it still floats around in the back of my mind.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No.

I have a 365 with a thumb safety. Never had that problem. I only have a few hundred rounds through it. The detent is pretty strong. Unless it’s defective, I can’t imagine it being engaged just due to recoil.

Do you carry with the safety engaged?

I've avoided having to develop the muscle memory to deal with safeties. I'm just keeping it to the simple "point and click," so I'm staying away from anything that needs a safety.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Best thing about a safety, is that you do not have to use it. And NO, it's not going to engage when you draw the pistol.
    If the 365's safety is anything like the P320 there is no accidental safety manipulation, the detente that locks the right side lever onto the liver side lever and pin assembly is stiff.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    No.

My guess is either the guy fiddled with the safety and lost the spring. The safety lever is 1 piece with a detente plunger that sort of looks like a smaller AR bolt release plunger and it rides on the spring. So either he has worn that spring to nothing, messed with the machined safety positions on the FCU, or lost the spring is the only reason the safety would have that much slop. My guess the machined safety position lock on the FCU are either damaged or modified. If it lost its spring the safety lever could dropout of the partially.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

I've avoided having to develop the muscle memory to deal with safeties. I'm just keeping it to the simple "point and click," so I'm staying away from anything that needs a safety.
    It really depends on the holster and the gun, on my P320 the safety is exposed though it takes "some" effort to engage and disengage and since I wear at the 3 o'clock position so when I am driving my seat belt buckle rests against part of the gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I do. I have practiced a lot with H&K USPs over the years, and it’s second nature.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

My semi recent rebirth into pistols was begun in the advent of the P80 - and now Glocks. I've gotten so used to pistols without safeties, I don't see myself carrying any other way. It just seems more natural. Guns that have safeties, the safeties get used though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So…I got my P365X-Macro slide/barrel in today. I have a grip module. It doesn’t have a cut-out for the safety, so I took it off. The x-macro feels compact and is very comfortable in the hand. I have a Gray Guns trigger in the trigger module, which is heavy enough to be ok to carry without a safety.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

And my first semiauto was .... 1911 , so safety is natural .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I trained with striker fired guns, so for me, the safety is the holster and the Four Rules.

I don't even have a holster for my 1911: I don't contemplate carrying it, though it does have redundant safeties out the wazoo.

Maybe someone should get me a nice leather holster for it, and then I could call it my barbecue gun and start teaching my thumb the necessary muscle memory.

For now, I'll leave the safeties for the range toys and stick with "point and click" for anything I might carry.

By the way, everybody likes to make fun of Tex Grebner, but his accident happened (as I recall) because he was switching back and forth between a 1911 in a Serpa and a Glock in a Safariland ALS and he got his muscle memory confused. It makes me inclined to stick to one operating system.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Does the P365 rely on a manual safety? Or does it have a Glock-type trigger system? Or is it like a double action?

I've thought of getting one, but if a manual safety is recommended, I think I'll stick with my M&P platforms.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    For what it's worth, we had a guy in our last steel match shooting a P365 with a manual safety, and it was engaging itself just about every other or second other round. At first, we all naturally assumed his thumb was bumping it, so he made a deliberate attempt to ride it down. That wasn't very feasible because the lever is so small, and it didn't make a difference. Then, he lowered his grip...a lot, and it kept happening.

In hindsight, I wish we had videoed him and tried to catch a shot with the super slow-mo these newfangled phones have and also gotten someone else to shoot it. But, he was gripping it so low, and there were so many eyes watching intently, I'm confident it wasn't his thumb doing it. He said he was going to send it back to SIG. Hopefully he'll have an answer by the next match.

Anybody else have similar experiences? I know that was only one example, but it made me glad my P365 never had a manual safety...and I don't think any of my next ones will.
    That safety looks like an afterthought. Definitely not a "competition" choice for me.

Not sure why I keep getting random threads in my watched feed when I clearly don't have them watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom